What's the ProPoly of rifles? **Got a Marlin 980S!** **IT'S EXCELLENT!**

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What's the ProPoly of rifles?

I called Irvington Arms, and they said they could order a 980S for around $300. I neglected to ask them about any other prices.

I can't decide between 17HMR, 22LR, and 22WM. Ammo availability/price, rifle price, recoil, accuracy, fun... I'm calling Big 5 tomorrow to see what types of ammo they have, then Irvington to find out some prices for other Marlins. I'll also give those other stores a call to see what they have (and for how much).

You know, I'm not sure I'd be able to prove my residency. My dad paid for my car, and he manages the utility bills. Would a credit card bill work? That's pretty much all I have that I can think of. I'll check my car's registration in the morning. (Maybe I could show them a picture of my room, and say, "this kind of mess takes YEARS of careful planning and sloth!" :laughing: )

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

Voters registration card should do it. And don't tell me you're not registered to vote!!!! (to protect your right to buy the rifle)

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

.17HMR is flatter in trajectory and a little more accurate
.22LR is the standard in rimfire
.22 magnum is more powerful and you can easily hunt small game

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

voter registration card is not legal in CA, as it does not have an expiration date.

Driver's license is required to prove who you are but cannot
be used to prove your residency.

the bills must be tied to a physical address with regards to the physical structure, for example utility, land-line phone, land-line internet, etc . they must be from within the last three months. Cell phone, credit card bills, etc cannot be used according to the law.

another thing you can do is have your dad draft up a housing agreement with you(if he owns the residence you live in) and notarize it.

also make sure you have no out-standing traffic tickets. The DROS costs 25 dollars and cannot be refunded, and you can get rejected for many reasons.

buying a handgun is even more complicated andconfusing. I was surprised they didn't require a cavity search when it was all done. :(

Last edited:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used to have a Remington nylon 66, somehow my ex wound up with it, exellent little target shooter. I have the successor to the nylon 66 in the remington 522 viper, it seems to follow the 66 in design with minor differences.Still a tackdriver with a good scope on it.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

The bureaucratic mind never ceases to amaze. You can vote with a voters registration card but you can't buy a rimfire rifle. I guess that demonstrates the value the pols put on the individual vote -- it doesn't mean much. Priorities get seriously skewed a lot of the time.

Actually, it demonstrates the pol's desire for you to not have a rifle. Period.

cslinger

Enlightened

Not sure if the OP bought yet but I would highly suggest .22 Long Rifle as it is dirt cheap, about as fun as fun gets and can be found anywhere.

As for the platform I would look hard at the CZ452 series bolt guns. These guns fall in your price range and are WAY better guns then the price would suggest. There is nothing that can touch them for bang for the buck. The iron sighted models have excellent irons.

I would suggest doing a gunbroker search for either a 452 special or a 452 Lux.

Below is a CZ452FS or Full Stock. The scope is no longer mounted because the irons are just some kind of fun.
116256.JPG

Below is a CZ452 Varmint. This gun is the first .22LR that I can shoot extremely small groups out to 100 yards with. It is an amazing gun.
074603.jpg

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

That residence thing will be a pain. I'll probably have to create and notarize a housing agreement with my father, as 270 suggested.

Irvington said that the Marlin 917 (17HMR) is $245, the 980S (22LR) is $295, and the 982VS (22WM) is $305. So, there's a bit of a savings for the 17, but not much difference between the LR and WM. Should I just go for the 22LR, to guarantee cheap and common ammo (like AA alks for the ProPoly)?

Monocrom

Flashaholic

First thing that popped into my mind when I read the title of the topc.... Jeff Cooper's Scout Rifle design.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

That residence thing will be a pain. I'll probably have to create and notarize a housing agreement with my father, as 270 suggested.

Irvington said that the Marlin 917 (17HMR) is $245, the 980S (22LR) is $295, and the 982VS (22WM) is $305. So, there's a bit of a savings for the 17, but not much difference between the LR and WM. Should I just go for the 22LR, to guarantee cheap and common ammo (like AA alks for the ProPoly)?

in CA the 17HMR and 22WM cam be as expensive as 45ACP ammo so good call on the 22LR. You can always find some CCI stingers for a little extra kick, or some subsonics for accurate target shooting. a bolt can usually shoot 22short, 22long, and 22CB(conic ball) as well.

be aware that you will have to wait 10 days for the rifle.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I've never tried CBs in my Marlin bolt, but my Browning Lever Action eats 'em up! And if it wasn't such a pita to try, I'd report on the use of CB in a Marlin.

Maybe I'll do it anyway, as I need to check on the condition of the stuff in the safe!

Marduke

Flashaholic

Easy way around the whole residency thing, bring your father along and let him purchase the rifle for you. And I would definitely go with the .22 over the .17 for ammo $$ reasons. You'll have a better idea of what you want and like when it's time to upgrade to a bigger/better gun later.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try the long version of the CB. They'll manually cycle thru anything a LR will.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast

I understand that this is your 1st rifle. Don't get a .17HMR or a 22WM. Get a .22LR. Expense and availablility are serious concerns. Example, you're 123 miles north of Susanville and you run out of ammo. You run into the nearest store, miles and miles away....good luck trying to find .17 or 22WM. Both are much more expensive than a .22LR. Don't even go to that extreme, simply go into your local gun store, assuming there are a few left in Ca. and price that .17 ammo. If you're of age, a stiff drink would be recommended 1st. The .22LR is the ProPoly of ammo, period. If you feel the need for a larger caliber, then I'd suggest a rifle that will accept military surplus ammo. Then get one that uses inexpensive surplus ammo. Things change. 8MM Mauser used to be dirt cheap. Same with .303 British, but no more! I can remember when 7.62X39 was prohibitively expensive to buy, in the 70s, but now it is dirt cheap. Remington Nylon 66, one of the very best semi-autos ever made. They are now being collected and their price can be stiff. Any decent .22LR is the way to go. In closing, everybody NEEDS a decent .22LR, if not a couple. Good luck and enjoy.

RCatR

Enlightened

Go with tried & true:
Yugo m48 (or any other good-condition mauser)

Bolt-action, uses 8x56mm ammo; around $200 and next to an SKS is the definition of reliability

(I've pushes 100's of rounds through both an SKS and mauser; I have had 0 jams and every shot has been placed right-on)

**EDIT**
I agree fully with fnmag's opinion above

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

22LR it is.

I'll head over to Irvington tomorrow and see if they can help me with all the legal requirements.

The notarized housing agreement is probably my best bet for residency. I don't think getting my dad to buy it would really work, as saying "he hates guns" would be putting it very mildly. I broke the news to him earlier tonight during dinner, and he basically said "you know what I think about that, but you're 21 and I can't stop you." He also said that I can't drive with it in my car, because since it's registered in his name, anything bad that happens will involve him in terms of liability. I just hope that the friend at whose house I'm storing it eventually gets a functional car.

This is just so #&^% complicated. :thumbsdow

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

22LR it is.

I'll head over to Irvington tomorrow and see if they can help me with all the legal requirements.

The notarized housing agreement is probably my best bet for residency. I don't think getting my dad to buy it would really work, as saying "he hates guns" would be putting it very mildly. I broke the news to him earlier tonight during dinner, and he basically said "you know what I think about that, but you're 21 and I can't stop you." He also said that I can't drive with it in my car, because since it's registered in his name, anything bad that happens will involve him in terms of liability. I just hope that the friend at whose house I'm storing it eventually gets a functional car.

This is just so #&^% complicated. :thumbsdow

yeah, I didn't suggest that route because I know many people in the Bay Area have been taught to hate guns since kindergarden, even the middle aged people. it's compeltely legal for parents to buy rifles and shotguns for their kids(for now), but that greatly depends on the parents.

Fortunately my Dad's home state was Ohio. He grew up with the understanding that our constitution is the supreme law of the land, and inanimate objects and just that, inanimate.

BTW if you are storing it at a friend's house, you may consider getting a good trigger lock and/or rendering the rifle unfunctional by taking the bolt home, for liability reasons since it will not be under your direct supervision. that's the one condition that my Dad imposed on me: buy a safe. good advice too.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, my Dad immigrated here from Brazil a little over 20 years ago. My sister and I were born here.

I think all guns come with a free lock these days, right? And if not, I can get one free somewhere. Even if they're not free, they shouldn't be too expensive, I'd guess.

Removing the bolt sounds like a good idea. Should I also remove the firing pin or something, or would that be too much?

I'm planning on heading over to Irvington Arms later this afternoon. :twothumbs

Marduke

Flashaholic

The firing pin is located inside the bolt. A trigger lock or cable lock that goes through the magazine slot in the stock so the bolt cannot close would suffice, and both can be had for $5-20.