What's your favorite stock 1x CR123 light and why?

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix pd10ti because it's the right size to carry anywhere ,i like is smooth one hand twisting it's the smoothest ti I've ever used I like the med lo high, its smooth beam four hour runtime on med, but mostly it is it's. Size and ergonomics that make me choose it most

Last edited:

adept1

Newly Enlightened
Ra Twisty 85-TR

1. The red led
  2. The overbuilt build quality
  3. The interface
  4. The driver
  5. The smooth twist action
  6. Looks cool

adept1

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Update on my favourite light: I've just found out that the HDS Clicky (and probably Twisty) has been designed to withstand the EMP from a nuclear blast !!! The ultimate survival light. Check out post #895 in part 11 of the Clicky thread. Sure, I probably wouldn't survive, but it's nice to know that if I did, I'll have a working light.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, 95% of lights will do that... All henry said was that it can withstand high voltage discharge and high energy RF, which most flashlights can.

iacchus

Enlightened
My favorite, the Ra Clicky.
I have a 170 and a High CRI.
Of the two, the High CRI gets carried more often. The 170 got a 17670 batt tube and is clipped to my Monsoon for when I need reach.

Why am I so fond of the Ra High CRI? Well, all that stuff about Ra of course...reliability, bombproofness, EMP proof, great UI, programmable, 23 levels to choose from, outstanding customer service, high end pedigree, etc etc etc.

But when it really comes down to it, I love it because it makes me happy every time I hit the switch. Such a pretty beam (tint & profile). If I need brighter, it is generally close by, and I can get it pretty quick, but the High CRI has more than enough light for the task 99% of the time I need a light. It really feels like the way it represents color and contrast allows it to do more with 100 lumens than what a cool white LED would do.

Granted, all this is pretty subjective, but it really is the perfect carry light for me and I wouldn't dream of being without it.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Honestly, 95% of lights will do that... All henry said was that it can withstand high voltage discharge and high energy RF, which most flashlights can.

Are you sure about that ? There was a thread discussing this particular topic and the general consensus was that most lights would not survive an EMP unless it was in a Faraday cage. Here we have the manufacturer stating that the electronics of his lights ARE in a Faraday cage and he sees no reason why his light would not easily survive an EMP. I've yet to hear of any other manufacturer making such a claim.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure about that ? There was a thread discussing this particular topic and the general consensus was that most lights would not survive an EMP unless it was in a Faraday cage. Here we have the manufacturer stating that the electronics of his lights ARE in a Faraday cage and he sees no reason why his light would not easily survive an EMP. I've yet to hear of any other manufacturer making such a claim.

Yes, I'm sure. Metal flashlights are, by definition, a faraday cage... the only weak points are the lens and switches. It's possible that the internals of an HDS light are more surrounded by metal than other flashlights, but it's pretty unlikely... The switch is probably not shielded either (ie EM energy can make it through the button). Plus, there's no way to protect the LED so we know there's a possible point of ingress there.

BTW, nitecores probably have better EMP shielding than any other button based light (verus a twisty). EVERYTHING except the LED emitter has a metal shield around it, thanks to the switching mechanism and pill design.

Tl;DR I'm not concerned about EMPs on any of my lights.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Yes, I'm sure. Metal flashlights are, by definition, a faraday cage... the only weak points are the lens and switches. It's possible that the internals of an HDS light are more surrounded by metal than other flashlights, but it's pretty unlikely... The switch is probably not shielded either (ie EM energy can make it through the button). Plus, there's no way to protect the LED so we know there's a possible point of ingress there.

BTW, nitecores probably have better EMP shielding than any other button based light (verus a twisty). EVERYTHING except the LED emitter has a metal shield around it, thanks to the switching mechanism and pill design.

Tl;DR I'm not concerned about EMPs on any of my lights.

I have no idea whether you are right or not. The thread that I referred to dismissed the metal-bodied-lights-as-a-Faraday-cage argument. I don't want to derail this thread any further by discussing it here, so I'll amend my statement to "it's the only light in which the manufacturer has claimed that it will survive an EMP". How's that ?

FTR, I'm not concerned with EMP either and it did not factor in my decision when I bought my Clickies. I just think it's cool that it is now EMP rated.

Last edited:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, I'll agree with that. However, again, it's not technically "EMP" rated, just high voltage and RF rated, which are benefits in and of themselves.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Sure, I'll agree with that. However, again, it's not technically "EMP" rated, just high voltage and RF rated, which are benefits in and of themselves.

Yep....it hasn't specifically been tested for EMP (which I imagine would be very difficult and expensive) but Henry has personally rated it for EMP by his statement which to at least shows a manufacturer willing to back his product which in itself is another reason why the HDS Clicky is my favorite light (not just my favorite 1 x CR123 light).

Last edited:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone should build a small flux compression generator and test it for actual EMP-proof-ness. Getting government approval for using high energy explosives is a real pain though... does anyone here work demolition? It would be a fun project. :D

jcalvert

Enlightened
To everyone who responded,

A big thank you!
icon14.gif

Based on the responses, the hands-down favorite is the HDS Clicky. The various 4Seven's Quarks are popular with a small variety of others.

After reviewing the HDS Clicky Tactical, I feel this will be a good choice as one of the 2 or 3 I will ultimately carry depending on the situation.

However, this past weekend, I found myself in a situation where I realized one of the most benefitial purposes of having a small EDC was where I was within crowds of people and the light I had brought along, projected too tight of a beam and that a very flood-oriented light would have been more beneficial. In this particular situation, I would have like to have had my Zebralight H31 headlamp which I have come to use more often as a flashlight, than as a headlamp, particularly around my sleeping family because of its .05 lumen mode.

Anyway, I saw the HDS Clicky Executive YouTube video made by Marshall of GoingGear.com and it looked to me that when he was describing it at his table, that the hotspot was very tight. And I understand that the Tactical would be even a tighter hotspot. So, even though the HDS Clicky will definately be on my wish list, I need to look for another 1x CR123 light with a predominantly flood-based hotspot.

So at this point, I already have the ZL H31, but I prefer to keep it in the house except when I use it as a headlamp. Like the H31, the ZL SC30 is too small for carryling outside of the house. The ZL SC60 would be great, but it only takes a 1x 18650, which I may still consider, but I'm one of the few who prefer the different strobe modes made available in a hidden group, but which ZLs don't have.

I'm probably going to try the Quark 123 (non-tactical) due to its size (3.2"), it's multi-modes, its apparent dependibility, its modularity and its value at only around $60. Based on a recommendation from a CPF friend, the hotspot is described to be what I'm looking for as more flood-oriented.

Additionally, I have pre-ordered the new Klarus NT10 that is being offered by GoingGear.com to see how that light might fit in with my needs. If the Klarus performs as I'm eagerly anticipating it will, this will hopefully be a keeper for its one-handed-two-switch design, multi-modes, its size (3.5") and its relative value at $60.

Although, I will remain completely opened-minded about other possible options, continue to accept your recommendations and will probably trial different models over time, I have to finally make some choices and I hope the above choices will meet my intitial criteria here in the near term.

Thanks again to everyone for your responses and I wish all of you, the best this life has to offer.

John

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right on :)

Itp twisty kechain showed up in the mail Friday.
Sooooo tiny, and affordable I couldn't resist

jcalvert

Enlightened

Right on :)

Itp twisty kechain showed up in the mail Friday.
Sooooo tiny, and affordable I couldn't resist

Hi CH,

Do you have any snow yet?

I love Fenix lights, in fact my favorite light is my TA21, however the PD10 was just too small, like the Quark Mini 123 at under 3". I just don't trust myself to keep track of anything that small and with my hands becoming more arthritic, I needed to consider being able to handle whatever product I chose. So I had to limit my choices from 3" to 4" for a "small EDC". Please know that the suggestion was thoroughly considered and appreciated.

For keychain lights, my wife and I both have the Princeton Tec Impulse which has been a savior on multiple occasions. And at about $6.00, those little things have paid for themselves over and again!

John

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Sunday night and all day Monday it snowed. Solarforce L2M without extention is my favorite single cell over 3 inch. It's 4 1/4 inches and has 5 modes. It has the dropin it came with. I bought if off ykb, from the UK.
It may only be 120 to 150 lumens but the size is great for the coat.

How's the weather were you are jcalvert? :wave:

jcalvert

Enlightened
Yeah, Sunday night and all day Monday it snowed. Solarforce L2M without extention is my favorite single cell over 3 inch. It's 4 1/4 inches and has 5 modes. It has the dropin it came with. I bought if off ykb, from the UK.
It may only be 120 to 150 lumens but the size is great for the coat.

How's the weather were you are jcalvert? :wave:

CH,

Since I will probably have a few small EDCs eventually, I'll look into that Solarforce. In the meantime I'm really looking forward to receiving that new Klarus NT10, dual switch light from GoingGear.com within the next week. I'm also going to give the Quark non-tactical 123 a try in the short term for its flood over throw. I'll ask for the HDS Clicky from Santa.

BTW, I'm sure Marshall does send to Canada. You'll just have to call Casey during the day and ask him. They open at 10:00 a.m. EST.

As for weather, Michigan has had a perfect autumn, which has not been the case in the past few years, where it went from the heat of summer to the cold of winter within a mere week or two. This year, the autumn has been awesome with gradually decreasing temps over the entire season, except for this week which has been a little too warm in the sixties. I just hope the autumn weather keeps going for a little while longer before the snow kicks in. Take care and thanks again for the recos.

John

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
John, I tried to PM you and it said your over quota so I can't send to you. Let us know what you think of the HDS when Santa brings it. I've thus far been unable to pull the trigger on one.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
however the PD10 was just too small, like the Quark Mini 123 at under 3". I just don't trust myself to keep track of anything that small and with my hands becoming more arthritic, I needed to consider being able to handle whatever product I chose. So I had to limit my choices from 3" to 4" for a "small EDC".

Just wondering why the C2H isn't in the running. It seems to fit all your criteria and is easy to switch modes. It does 95% of what I need, along with being able to use most any battery I have laying around that's charged. The only thing I can't do with it is signal (short flash bursts) as this changes modes.

Latest posts