When to throw out batteries?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that it is not just a matter of "experience" (or knowledge). The ability to safely use Li-ion cells involves more than experience and knowledge - it also requires the discipline to rigorously follow safety rules. I've known experts that have seriously injured themselves because they are either too absent-minded or too sloppy to adhere to safety protocols. These and related factors all need to be carefully considered when lending advice on safety.

Yes, but that applies to everything that involves some level of danger if you're not careful. I suspect well over 90% of vehicle deaths are caused by drivers who have valid licenses. Yet, people still drive, and don't always pay attention. Good swimmers sometimes drown. Electricians sometimes get electrocuted. Construction workers sometimes die on the job.

Lithium-ion batteries aren't inherently any more dangerous than most things in life.

I recommend Eneloops to newbs, or people that just want something hassle-free and easy. Lithium-ion is for people that are familiar with them, and proper care. If you use them with a good charger, and in a light with proper voltage and heat protection (like Zebralights and others), they aren't any more dangerous than your laptop or cell phone battery.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium-ion batteries aren't inherently any more dangerous than most things in life.
I doubt you'll find many experts who'd agree with that statement when it comes to general public use. Cars, etc are not good analogies. The masses have a good idea about how cars can be unsafe. They don't have the analogous knowledge about Li-ion cells - as the many vaping and hoverboard accidents show. The masses expect that Li-ion cells will behave like other common consumer cells of similar size. They don't even know basic crucial safety facts such as the whole can is negative so a tiny rip in the wrapper near the top greatly increases the risks of shorts (hence the many pants on fire incidents). Nor do they realize that Li-ion batteries should not be charged unattended (hence the many hoverboard fires).

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt you'll find many experts who'd agree with that statement when it comes to general public use. Cars, etc are not good analogies. The masses have a good idea about how cars can be unsafe. They don't have the analogous knowledge about Li-ion cells - as the many vaping and hoverboard accidents show. The masses expect that Li-ion cells will behave like other common consumer cells of similar size. They don't even know basic crucial safety facts such as the whole can is negative so a tiny rip in the wrapper near the top greatly increases the risks of shorts (hence the many pants on fire incidents). Nor do they realize that Li-ion batteries should not be charged unattended (hence the many hoverboard fires).

I don't disagree with you. For the general public, I recommend they stick to Eneloops, or even (I think I threw up a little) alkalines.

But people on this forum are usually not the general public. They likely have some experience with batteries, and are much more interested in proper use and care.

That doesn't mean they won't do something stupid like vape with a mech mod using way too high a current and a crappy low-drain cell. But, they're far less likely to do that than someone uninterested in batteries. And after reading a bit on this forum, they won't do it at all.