Where are some decent shops or online stores to purchase lights in Australia?

aussiebob

Enlightened
Ive had a hard time finding decent shops that sell a good variety of lights.
Ive tried all sorts of hunting and disposal stores and camping shops, but all they carry is maglites, led lensers etc.
Im after surefires, inovas, and fenix lights.
Ive got most of my lights from ebay.com.au but there isnt much there.
I could by from overseas but its slightyl complex for me.

HELP !!

Force Attuned

Enlightened
If you are looking at MagLites check out www.legear.com.au (Cheapest in Oz)however do not buy Surefires from them as they are way too highly priced.

If you are after Surefires, the cheapest seller I've found is on Ebay. The user ID is serrot37.

Check him out, I have bought most of my Surefires from him and he is a great seller. I receive my items from him within 5 working days after a paypal payment is made and he stocks most models.

Also consider that alot of the Surefire models for sale in Oz aren't actually the latest versions, however they are still over priced.

Glen C

Enlightened
I would second the two guys above, they seem to know what they are talking about! :laughing:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Buy/Sell/Trade forums on the CPF marketplace are a great place to pick up a bargain or two - and there are many dealers on CPFM who will ship to Australia.

That Glen C guy is pretty good too :crackup:

Telemeister

Newly Enlightened
For Fenix, try www.ledtorches.com.au. I've used them in the past, and they are quick and easy to deal with.

As for things like Surefire, get them from the US (knifecenter.com, knifeworks.com and there are probably heaps of others). The main reason is price, we get absolutely shafted when it comes to the price of things like Surefire flashlights. I have seen the M4 for around $690, the C3 for $250, the G2L for $140, the list goes on. Sorry for the rant, it really annoys me :scowl:. Knifecenter are very good, provided the item is in stock, it takes about a week to arrive, and express delivery only costs around US$30 (US$1 buys about AUS$0.95).

kiwiman3139

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest buying from the U.S. as well-batteries as well-it's all just too expensive here and the aussie$ is at an all time high so you are getting a alot of stuff at nearly half the price you pay here-esp. Surefire etc

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
For Surefires and USA made lights, the Buy/Sell/Trade section on CPF is great. But beware of the expensive shipping many sellers charge.

For Wolf-Eyes and Lumens Factory stuff, no Aussie can go past Glen C, whose competitive prices and superb customer service are beyond this planet!!!!

For the value for money stuff, I use DX or KD. Bear in mind that the prices you see there include worldwide registered shipping(for orders over $15). Make sure you only buy stuff that has recieved good reviews from certified owners, or if there is none, search the CPF reviews section to see if any other CPFer has got one and done a review for it.

If all else fails, theres always "The Bay".com.au with lots of dodgy, hungry sharks...oppss...sellers!

Last edited:

gollum

Enlightened
Hey aussie bob I am in brisbane and find most stores are very behind the times... the only way to get the good gear is by website and put up with shipping cost, at least the aud is good atm.

I buy most stuff from ebay and deal extreme for cheap stuff....otherwise cpf buy sell trade looks good....
btw ebay has tiablo a9's going for $72 aud shipped atm ...bargain

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Fenix Store has shipping included in their price, so they might be an option.

8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

SureAddicted

Enlightened
www.jpt-australia.com

These guys are very reasonable,
their M@glight prices are the cheapest that I have come across

This is where I've bought all my SureFire's. I have nothing but good things to say about JPT. You can purchase from his website or if you can get down to Sydney to visit the store. Just give him a call beforehand to check if he has in stock what you want.

Steve

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
Surefire costs double the USA retail price in Oz and unfortunately Surefire has the nasty policy of not letting their dealers sell to other countries. Check CPF for the Surefire dealers in Hong Kong though because I think they ignore the SF sales policy.

Thus far I haven't found any place in Australia that has a good selection of lights and haven't found any source there for cheap CR123A's either.

Personally since I live in both the USA and in NSW I tend to buy anything I need while here in the US and carry it back in my luggage. Neither Oz customs nor the TSA complain about Surefire sized lights and batteries but if they chose to do so they could confiscate lithium batteries on arrival in Australia because CASA regulations say only two spare lithiums allowed.

Supernam

Enlightened
Any entrepreneurs out there? We now see that there is a demand for a flashlight shop in AU. Just need a computer and warehouse. Start small and grow.

Glen C

Enlightened
G"Day AussieBob,

I will throw a few other thoughts in here now we have a range of opinions. I have spoken to and dealt with almost all of the torch purveyors mentioned above, and found them to be ethical, honest, easy going and keen to be of service. The torch community is small in Australia and many know of each other. One thought which is not often mentioned here, is support, which is a two way street. I know many here will purchase at the lowest cost, even if it is only $6 saving on a $180 unit. What has to be thought of is if you continually buy from overseas, there will be no one in Aus to support you when you need it. I and many of the others offer overnight service to most state capitols of Australia, even Perth 3,000 kms away. I regularly ship Lumens Factory lamps overnight to Surefire owners who bought overseas and now desperately need a lamp. There is no way to do that from the US. I have done the same with 17670 batteries, all because the person is caught short. I am happy to help out and enjoy doing so, but if no one purchased from me, I wont be here next year to do so.

I am not saying people should just buy because a company is in Aus if it is $100 more expensive, I am just saying think about who you want to support you and how they will be able to support your purchase.

Ebay vendors are another kettle of fish all together, their rating system doesn't say what happens 6 months later with a problem, many change product categories regularly and aren't even committed to the flashlight or torch business. You usually only have an email address and they can choose to respond or not when you have a problem.

I am not saying don't buy from Ebay or OS, just consider the pricepoint and take pot luck on the $20 torch but put a moment into deciding where you should buy your $100 torch from.

Regards

Glen

StingKing

Newly Enlightened
Hi AussieBob,
I have brought a few torches from www.torchworld.com.au and i have found there prices to be very good and they are easy to deal with. I would recommend them 100%. They are very good for fenix torches and are expanding into other brands such as deerelight, lumapower, tiablo.