Where did 1 watt fluorescent nightlights go?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of these 5 years ago and I love it. It's been on all night for those 5 years and is still going strong.

It puts out much more light than any LED nightlight I've seen and I like the color of the light better.

It has a 1 watt fluorescent tube. The place where I bought it said it was cold cathode.

I can't find them for sale now unless I buy 5000 of them. The bulb has turned gray along it's length, but still puts out lots of light. I would replace the bulb but I don't see those for sale either.

If anyone decides to buy 5000, let me know. I'm in for a couple. :)

Clipboard02.png

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Canada I have seen them in all sorts of stores,
although not necessarily in the same form factor, and
usually with a switch. Typical price is $5 and up. Matter
of fact, a grocery store was selling them as kid's night-
lights with Sesame Street, Dora etc. theme markings.
I'd be surprised if larger US chains don't carry something
like this, unless you've checked and found none.

I caught a clearance and now am proud owner of a
Cookie Monster light (with photocell).:drool:

An aside, at least a couple of large home reno stores
here carry 1W replacement tubes, which were (and I guess
still are) used in some older solar garder lighting. They are
U-shaped.

Dave

Last edited:

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info guys.

My light has a straight tube. The U tube wouldn't fit in the case. I will keep an eye out when in a chain store, but I don't expect to find a high quality light.

Apparently the Megabrite Micro-fluorescent is no longer being made.

The reviews of the GE are awful. It seems the ones made 5 years ago were good. Since then another company makes these for GE and the lifetime ranges from days to months. I might try one anyway and see if I get lucky.

The only one with no bad reviews is the First Alert sold only by Bed Bath and Beyond, and it has no reviews at all. I would expect to pay around $8 dollars for a good one and these sell 2 for $9. Not a good sign. They don't have auto off-on, but for my particular situation, I don't need that. I might try 1 ....err make that 2 of these.

This is another example of finding something that I like very much and then finding they don't make them anymore. :sigh:

ken2400

Enlightened
One could make a 1 watt LED nightlight from most cell phone power supplies. I need to buy some more bulbs. I have boat loads of power supplies.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I had a GE fluorescent nightlight that lasted 3 years then gave up. I replaced it with an LED screw in bulb in a standard 7 watt incan base and it doesn't put out near as much light it is enough to guide me around by at night, is cheap ($2 at walgreens) and 3 of 4 I bought are going after 2 years.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the LED lights are sufficient for some purposes but occasionally a brighter one is desired.

My sister's young grandchildren visited her recently for a week. They like their bedroom brighter than a typical nightlight delivers. She was planning on using an incandescent table lamp with a dimmer. I lent her my super duper fluorescent instead. It did the job.

I then tried to buy a couple more of these lights and was disappointed to find they aren't available.

I think cold cathode lights should last for a long time. I have two nice Samsung LCD monitors that seem to work as well as when I bought them 6 years ago. I think the backlight is cold cathode.

I ordered the GE fluorescent nightlight. If it lasts 2 or 3 years, I guess I shouldn't complain.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't rule out incan nightlights if they have a motion sensor. They use more power, yes, but are only on while you are moving around in the dark room, so it's not really an issue. They are tons brighter than led models, and the warm tint can be easier on sleepy eyes. I am thinking of getting some of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQNZM8/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I would replace the 7w bulb with a 4w.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, there are a lot of options. A motion activated light might be a bad choice for a bedroom though. I wouldn't want it coming on every time I rolled over.

I also have a theory (probably wrong) about "natural" light in the bedroom. I know some people are bothered by alarm clocks with red LEDs, when they are sleeping. I guess green ones might be trouble too.

I don't think I've ever had one of those in the bedroom. I use a clock with analog dial that is illuminated with white light. It doesn't bother me at all.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I've ever had one of those in the bedroom. I use a clock with analog dial that is illuminated with white light. It doesn't bother me at all.

I have one of those on my bedstand, but keep the light turned off. Besides, the 700 multi-colored, blinking battery charger led indicators typically bounce enough light around for me to navigate to the potty.