Which Eneloops for my Amateur Radio HT?

ultrarunner2015

Newly Enlightened
Hi;
I have two handheld radio transceivers for use in the amateur band (2m & 70cm). Either radio can draw a maximum of 1600mA in high power (5W) Xmit mode.
Until now, I have been using either the OEM (Yaesu) battery pack (6 AA cells rated at 1400mAh) or 6 AA Eneloop (Panasonic BK-3MCCA).
The majority of my use of these radios is for receiving, which draws 125mA when listening to an active channel, and 45mA while scanning or sitting with no signal (and therefore no audio out).

I have had fairly good results using the regular Eneloops, but as I stated, I don't do all that much transmitting, so most of the current draw from the batteries is at 125mA or lower.
I use a MAHA MHC-9000 smart charger to recharge these batteries, and have been running the 'Refresh & Analyze' cycle on them every few months.
Most of my Eneloops are now fairly old; the newest ones purchased in Jan 2016, and many of the older (as old as 2010) are reporting as 'HIGH' - which indicates the internal resistance of the battery has gone too high for it to accept a charge - on the charger.

In July 2016, I purchased 8 Powerex (black) AA cells, thinking these would last longer at high drain rates, but never used them in the radios. I used these only in an LED headlamp, and was quite disappointed with their performance. Those Powerex batteries are already reporting 'HIGH' on the MHC9000.

So now, I'm ready to order some new Eneloops from Amazon, and thinking perhaps at least some of the batteries I buy should be the black Pro 2400mAh model instead of the white 2100mAh for the radios. For everything else, I see no reason to go with anything but the regular Eneloops.

I am a bit confused by Amazon's pricing on the Eneloop (white). One listing is for 16ea AA Eneloop BK-3MCCA @ $34.17, shipped and sold by Amazon, and another listing is for 'Newest Version Panasonic Eneloop 16 pak AA', sold by their 3rd party sellers at $46.99 + $3.11 shipping. I have had some poor experiences buying from Amazon 'partners' before, so I would tend to buy the ones sold and shipped by Amazon itself.
Also, the package of 16 regular Eneloop say that the batteries may be white or blue. From a Google search, I read that the blue ones were sold by Costco, but Amazon has been flooded with them. There was mention of the mfg date (on the blue ones I think) being 2016. I really do not like buying batteries that were made 3 years ago...

In any case, is there a newer version of the regular Eneloop, and what is the latest version of the Eneloop Pro?
BTW, I see the Pro sell for about 2X the cost of the regular, and from what I have been reading here in Candlepower, the Pro's are probably not worth the extra cost.
The only reason I am even considering the Pro version is that they may give me more Xmit time at high power from my radios. Of course that extra power may not actually be there when I need it, if I come to need the radios at a time when the batteries have had some time to self-discharge.

I don't know about the Eneloop Pro's, but the Powerex do not appear to be LSD batteries. That is the biggest reason I never used them in the radios.

Thanks for your advice
Ultrarunner

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those should be the latest ones. There really haven't been much change in the past few years anyway.

Yes, stay away from "partners". Your best best to get genuine cells is shipped and sold by amazon. It's still not a 100% guarantee, though. Personally, I buy from costco's on-line store. But you're probably safe with amazon.

Make sure they are made in Japan. If you're from NA or Europe, that's probably what you'll get. The Chinese Eneloops are inferior.

It sounds like you might benefit from 1 or 2 sets of Pros. They will give you longer run-time, but less cycles. In reality, you'll probably only get about 200 full cycles from the Pros, and about twice that for the regulars. After that, the internal resistance shoots up. They're still okay for low-drain stuff, though.

The "2100 cycles" is only partial cycles, and under ideal conditions. In practice, you get nowhere near that. Still excellent batteries, and the best in the industry, but they aren't magic.

ultrarunner2015

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. Still much cheaper, and better for the environment than using primary alkalines, and that's not to mention the fact that alkalines (including Duracell) leak like sieves!
I have never had an Eneloop leak on me.
Now, what about the blue vs white regular Eneloops? I Googled it, and found that Costco sold lots of the blue Eneloops, which are same as the white, but it was also mentioned that the blue ones may have been produced back in 2016. I don't think I want to buy batteries that are already 3 years old!

parametrek

Enlightened
I'm reasonably certain the latest (4th gen) Eneloops are the only ones you can easily buy these days.

Get the regular Eneloops. The Pros have higher IR and shorter cycle life. I've never been very happy with any that I've bought. Or consider trying the 2000mAh Amazon Basics NiMH AAs. All of mine have said they were made in Japan which means they came from the same factory as Eneloops. (Is the quality as good? So far it has been....)

According to my battery database the 16x Basics are the best value at $1.61 Wh/$. The 16x pack of Eneloops you found is the best price on those at $1.12 Wh/$.

ultrarunner2015

Newly Enlightened
If the Pro's have a higher IR, then how can they claim to perform better for 'power hungry' devices? It's simple math using Ohm's law. Is this just another example of retail hype?
That said, no matter what battery I use (including the OEM pack) in these radios, they will not deliver the maximum rated 5W output for very long. In case of emergency, a fully charged and relatively new battery (or pack) will deliver near the rated output for a few minutes, but after that, power begins to drop.
I try to make contact (almost always using repeaters) on medium (3W) output, or even low (1W) power to conserve battery life. Whenever possible, I will use a much larger battery supply - such as my car's battery or a SLA. The radio can accept 12V directly to the ext DC input - no need even to regulate it. The AA battery pack is the most convenient, but the least efficient.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Most of my eneloops have been purchased from Costco (when they happen to be available and on sale there) or Thomas Distributing (otherwise)

I think the main advantage of the "Pro" eneloops is having greater maximum capacity and delivering higher current under ideal (initial) conditions, but with the tradeoff of a decrease in almost all other specifications.

I have a few of the Pro AA and Pro AAA for certain small single cell high-output (high-draw) pocket flashlights, but generally prefer the standard eneloops instead.

ultrarunner2015

Newly Enlightened
OK. I ordered the regular Eneloop 16-pak from Amazon. I guess it's a good idea to process the batteries through the Break-in cycle on the MHC-9000 before use.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That said, no matter what battery I use (including the OEM pack) in these radios, they will not deliver the maximum rated 5W output for very long.

That depends what you mean by "very long". 6xAA Eneloop should have no problem delivering 5W of power for almost their entire capacity. That's only around 700mA. I know you mentioned 1600mA in your original post, but even that is not an issue for AA Eneloops. If 700mA, you should get about 2.5h of use. If 1600mA, about 1 hour.

OK. I ordered the regular Eneloop 16-pak from Amazon. I guess it's a good idea to process the batteries through the Break-in cycle on the MHC-9000 before use.

No need to do that. When I tried that with some new Eneloops, I got about 2% or 3% more capacity out of them after a break-in. It's not necessary, since you'll get that through normal use. Just charge them up before your first use, since they come only partially-charged.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few XV-150s and they use a pack just like you seem to be describing with 6 aa cells to run the radio.
I have used leakers,L91s and eneloops and even bought a few Eneloop packs for them a few years ago that are built with Eneloops inside and these are great for me as I do not need to keep them on a charger to have them ready to go for emergency uses but they are not really designed as a replacement for a dedicated purpose made battery for the radio I don't think?
The LiIon packs will just usually run longer in xmit for me.

You don't mention which radio you have but these days you should be able to find a more powerful and longer lasting battery that is a LiIon of some kind for normal use while keeping the AA pack for backup or simply receiving as you imply you are doing right now.

I also have a few Fanny Pack Water Bottle Carriers for pack of a better description that can easily carry a 4ah or larger SLA battery that allows me to power an HT for a lot longer than any built-in pack that I know of and if I am doing an event or emergency work I use that for all day long power.

758cabc73faad8e95e3f2edc1ac1ecf5.jpg

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which Eneloops For My Amateur Radio HT?

Fellow ham here. If you stated this, I must have missed it, why Eneloops vs. OEM, or after-market, battery packs? I suspect many/most OEM packs are lithium ion. Is it an issue of economics, performance or something else? If I recall correctly, Eneloops are Ni-MH, right?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Which Eneloops For My Amateur Radio HT?

I know of at least one battery bank that offers 12v and 5v outputs at a reasonable price. The only reason I haven't bought one is that I already have two 5v battery banks that I have had for several years and that work great for me.

ultrarunner2015

Newly Enlightened
Re: Which Eneloops For My Amateur Radio HT?

I just received the 16-pak of white Eneloops (BK3MCCA). I chose the white ones because I don't really have a dedicated use for them. I do use them in my VX-150 and FT60 radios, but other devices as well.
Should I run each bran-new battery through the 'Break-In' mode on the MHC9000?, or just charge them up to full?

ultrarunner2015

Newly Enlightened
Still curious about the production date ?[/QUOTE

I don't see any date code on the package or on the batteries. All batteries in the pack show a good charge though - not sure if a full charge, but on my 'el-cheapo- battery tester, shows green.