Which knives?

Freyth

Enlightened
Yeah I realised that but I'm also buying some other stuff from them, so might as well eh?

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Steven is great there, but you may want the greater selection a knife store or site offers. That said, the minigrip is a great starter knife. If you search CPF for knife suggestion threads, you will see the Griptilian line mentioned again and again. Very comfortable, the great Axis lock, sheeple friendly colors, two blade styles, two sizes, even a fixed blade! My wife edcs a minigrip.

You are luckily not starting in the dregs, but jumping into a nice solid high quality knife, so it will only get better. This price range allows you many possibilities, and you won't go horribly wrong with choices from Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, even some of the nicer Columbia knives you can get from Steven! And you've received some very good suggestions already.

daloosh

zpaulg

Newly Enlightened
Great choice.

I only have small hands and I EDC a Griptilian, just a thought but you might find the mini too small???

Cole3388

Newly Enlightened
I am a fan of SOG knives. The below image is the SOG Mini X-Ray Vision. It's a newer knife. This one fits nicely in the grip and the blade is factory razor sharp. The edge has retained well. I don't carry it daily but probably use it three to four times a week. I've had it for about 4 months and haven't needed to sharpen it yet.

~Cole

yhst-93703311224345_1954_56175258

Gadget Guy

Newly Enlightened
Buy a Strider and you will save a lot of $$ trying to find the perfect knife. For a smaller knife the PT is a good choice. A great edc knife is the SNG, and for a larger knife go with the SMF. All great knives and built like a tank!

carrot

Flashaholic
There's a ton of great knives out there. Personally I would not buy a Strider as my only knife because I prefer my Spydercos which are built tough AND cut exceptionally well. Just an opinion. I keep hearing that Striders are like sharpened prybars... but the SMF is awfully tempting. However, I'm saving my pennies for a Sebenza.

I also recommend not going for the highest end when you start out with knives. You are likely to scrape it up learning to sharpen and possibly even damage the knife learning the limits of blades and blade steel.

Start with a quality knife around $50 and then when you hop on the high dollar knife bandwagon like Strider/Sebenza/William Henry/etc you will truly appreciate them and have the know-how to properly maintain them and already understand their limits. The Benchmade Mini-Grip is a great starting place as it is a good enough knife for you to continue to use as you get interested in more expensive knives.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I bought a regular griptillian and I really love it. Sturdy, smooth, sharp etc.
I would get the full sized model, I thing it gives a better grip for a normal sized hand.
The griptillian is one of those knives that is worth every penny. You may spend more money than you though as a new knife buyer but it is money well spent and you will have a knife that will outlast two knives that cost half the price.

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
I suggest choosing either Spyderco or Benchmade. Benchmade's lower-cost "red" line make good, entry-level knives. If you like the Mini Grip, go for it! That's a great knife! My latest purchase is a Spyderco Navigator in VG-10, and I love it! It's one of their smaller knives, so I can use it to sharpen a pencil without frightening anyone. On the other hand, it's quite beefy and feels very sturdy, with a stainless handle and a solid lock.

You don't have to spend a lot to buy quality at the start. I've learned not to bother with Smith & Wesson and other "cheap" knives. Better an inexpensive knife from a reputable maker.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

vic2367

Enlightened
benchmade mini grip are really good knives for the price,,,have one as my edc and love it,,,cant go wrong,,

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the CR Sebenze- on Hell of a knife. I also agree on a Strider. I've got a gen 6 SnG spear point and love it. These are two different tools with two different purposes in life...

pocketlite

Newly Enlightened
Maserin are Italian and make solid hand crafted knives. I just bought their Expo 12b set. If I can work out how to upload photos on here then I'll show you [emoji12][emoji23]

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the end of the day, IMHO you will end up with either a CRK, Strider or RHK. And to know them is to own and use them. Unfortunately, they are premium brand but you will learn to appreciate the design for each brand. Having said that, the benchmade griptilian is a capable folder. Nowadays can be had with various grinds and handles. There are also 3rd parties that offer replacement handles, blades etc for that knife. The grips best feature IMO would be the axis lock. If you are still keen with the grips, would I suggest the latest griptilian with the 20CV blade and G10 grey handles. As for blade types, for ease of maintenance the satin finish and modified sheeps foot style would be the best, as it spots a benchmade hole rather than a thumbstuds. Another item to consider when investing in folders would be your sharpening system. Look at each of them and invest in a system that will suit your needs. IMHO, a wicked edge system is the system if you have a big budget. On the other extreme would be the spyderco sharpmaker. I started out with the sharpmaker simply because of its simple design, and ease of sharpening. Unfortunately at a fixed angle provided by the sharpener. As it comes from Spyderco, all blades under that marque can be safely sharpened.

btothegu

Newly Enlightened
Another thumbs up for either a Benchmade or Sypderco knife. Alternatively, a Kershaw. They wont set you back a fortune and make for great introductory knives. You wont feel (too) bad if they take a beating and they will give you an idea of some of the features (and limitations) to look out for. Plus, the warranties/customer service tend to be pretty darn good, and it's always nice to see a company stand behind it's product.

rizzie

Newly Enlightened
get a spyderco, great cutters if you take the more regular/classical spyderco's and not the more exotic flavours.
and they don't break the bank (like the tenacious)

I've used cheap spyderco's a lot (and some more expensive ones) and you can't really go wrong with them.

that said, I mostly use my griptillian (benchmade) because it's a good knife with a good lock (axis lock) and because it's friendly orange. that, and a benchmade 710 because it must be one of my 5 favourite blade shapes of all times in a folder.