Which steel would you prefer?

Polynikes

Newly Enlightened
You, Polynikes, are a great resource for informing us on what steel performs: There is No substitute for experience in hard-use circumstances. And while some of us would like to hear how the LC200N on a Spyderco endures, any feedback on what you are using is most welcome. Keep this thread alive and feel free to go off-topic (fishing and such things related to your experience) on what interests you, the thread originator. (hoping that the moderators are amenable)

No need for sarcasm...

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I apologize for not being clear enough on both of my posts. We do really enjoy hearing about the experiences of others, and since it is your thread, the moderators should be Ok with it and will probably find it interesting as well. If you have any questions about something with me, feel free to PM. Again, I apologize.

Polynikes

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I apologize for not being clear enough on both of my posts. We do really enjoy hearing about the experiences of others, and since it is your thread, the moderators should be Ok with it and will probably find it interesting as well. If you have any questions about something with me, feel free to PM. Again, I apologize.
My mistake! :)
e00b693237078674fb4a11dd7ace73aa.jpg

I apologize for assuming it was negative... and if you'd like to know, I don't like the edge H1 takes it doesn't feel as toothy as say s30v... but considering the extreme corrosion resistance I do keep one on me at all times at sea for emergency cutting purposes. Like if I get tangled in rope and pulled overboard... I'd like to make it home to my kids lol

Redleg118

Newly Enlightened
I'm not really a blade steel aficionado and most of my knives are in s30v kind of by coincidence...
However I have my eye on a couple ZTs and I'm having trouble deciding between a 0620cf in CTS-204P, and a 0630cf in M390...
I kind of like the lines of the 0620 blade better but I like the handle of the 0630 better...
So I'm trying to educate myself on blade steel.
Anyone have experience with both? What do you prefer? Why? How's the corrosion resistance?
Thanks in advance fellas.
Basically these two steels are the same just made by two different companies. The graph in the image shows the composition of each.

d99fe1637909282a17d81969c8542251.jpg

excalibur71

Newly Enlightened
M390 is very highly regarded super steel. I have one in my collection. Very nice, highly recommend, you won't be disappointed. Haven't had any personal experience with CTS-204P yet myself.

geisto

Newly Enlightened
LC200N aka Cronidur30 aka ZFiNit is a great steel for corrosion resistance. Basically a highly corrosion resistant ball-bearing steel.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
A serrated edge is not the best for everything but it works great for rope/line.
Nice thread and good input here too, but...
...serrations work great on larger diameter line, but for 5/8s and 7/16s crab rope (usually the rope I'm cutting aside from small twine that nets are made from) I can push cut it with a properly sharpened plain edge and prefer plain edge enough to where I won't buy a serrated blade...
I'm in this category too. I love serrations for larger stuff that just needs to be cut, but regardless of diameter, you can't get the clean cut that a straight edge offers, and for this reason, the only serrations I own are on my Leatherman.

Polynikes

Newly Enlightened
LC200N aka Cronidur30 aka ZFiNit is a great steel for corrosion resistance. Basically a highly corrosion resistant ball-bearing steel.

I ended up with the m390, but on the note of LC200 (which I am familiar with) my next knife is likely going to be a SpydieChef.

Polynikes

Newly Enlightened
...you can't get the clean cut that a straight edge offers...

...the only serrations I own are on my Leatherman.

Exactly!

And my Leatherman MTs are the only knives I own with serrations.

As for the H1 serrated knives I'm sure they're great, but in plain edge (which again, I strongly prefer) I'm not a fan, and I'm very much looking forward to trying out LC200.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I am glad I don't have to pick just one steel. The grind really makes a difference as well. I like M390 as a stainless steel and D2 as tool steel.

MotorHorse

Newly Enlightened

There's a great app for smart phones that can tell you a bit about steel composition. It's called Knife Steel Compositions

Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=zvisoft.stlchmob&hl=en

Apple - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/knife-steel-composition-chart/id498892262?mt=8

Awesome post. As a total knife newbie, this app is indispensable and a very helpful learning tool.
Hopefully, I can learn a thing or two about knife steel without feeling overwhelmed.

freebird610

Newly Enlightened
My current favorites are s110v, and M390/CPM-20cv/cts 204p. S90v is pretty darn awesome as well. Haven't tried LC200N yet. That i'm sure will be up there too. I like really stainless steels that hold a great edge obviously.