White tritium

Reid

Newly Enlightened
LOL! :crackup:

So you gave them an un-announced nuclear alarm exercise and they didn't appreciate the extra training? Strange... :thinking: :shrug::nana:
Indeed, I got no thanks. That was the year Admiral Rickover paid us an inspection visit.
"Father of the Nuclear Navy", retired--old--crotchety as HELL.

We were told on the morning of his well prepared-for visit,

"Between the hours of 1300 and 1500 there will be NO loudspeaker announcements
and NO machinery of any kind in operation, and NO imperfectly uniformed sailors aboard Orion.
That is all."

It was the Executive Officer of Orion who got me back, literally. I was a skinny kid, 140lbs, less.
In the mess hall: "You. Sailor. Here. Help carry this (window air conditioner, 14k BTU) up the ladder."

The other volunteer was a stocky deckhand. Which one was directed
to the lower rungs of the steep-angled deck ladder?

The XO ruined my back for the rest of my life.
I spend my days, nights, in a zero-G chair.
That is all.

Last edited:

Reid

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I saw a documentary about Rickover once, aimable fellow... :green:

I can relate with the military ruining your health, it sucks bigtime. :(
I'm glad you liked the story. Thanks for allowing it in your thread.

Europeans always impress me,
how they know American history better by far than most Americans.

PS: I'm really OK and pain-free today
so long as I lounge within my limits :D

Reid

Newly Enlightened
Good to hear you're doing ok. :) :thumbsup:
And I am glad you :rolleyes: can shoulder the load here.

Lately, I'm half of the (server) load!

:popcorn:

OK, more tales from the tritium vaults?
No more from me, however;
Rickover's regime, they about pwnd me.

PS: Bart! Your link to the Radioactive Boy! What a story! It reversed my tracks.
Boy Stupid (me, then), meet Boy Genius:

....they loaded the remains into 39 sealed barrels that were trucked to the Great Salt Lake Desert. There, the remains of David's experiments were entombed with other radioactive debris.

radscout.gif

"These are conditions that regulations never envision," says Dave Minnaar, radiological expert with Michigan's Department of Environmental Quality. "It's simply presumed that the average person wouldn't have the technology or materials required to experiment in these areas."

David Hahn is now in the Navy...."I don't believe I took more than five years off my life."

Last edited:

Reid

Newly Enlightened
Reid, that is a GREAT story - very funny indeed (but maybe not at the time, I suppose).
Walter Crowe thought it was hilarious.

---

Hey, thanks :twothumbs for the hearty approbation!
(yup, I had to look up "approbation")

PS: Here, this must be the cousin of that clock.
Remember, I didn't have long to study the clock! And it was thirty four years ago.
It looked like this, had the '43 date, but most definitely, the Orion clock opened to expose the dial itself,
not the rear of the movement:
http://www.therupturedduck.com/WebPages/Misc/s134.htm
for sale!

Last edited:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, Reid, great stuff...

Second, out here by me, where the beautiful hangars of the Tustin Air Station sit, I recall hearing a story of one of the older buildings on the site. Most buildings on this base have been torn down to build newer dwellings, and now sadly also mini malls and housing areas. But there is still a small shack that no one has touched, I believe this to be the building that they used to re-paint radium dials on the airships and other vehicles of the base's origin. If I recall, they didn't know how they were going to go about the disassembly and containment of the dust of this building and the surrounding grounds, which I guess reads rather hot on the meters.

Third, I love my white trit! I will take pics soon.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a bit of a close up shot of B@rt's 1.55mm vials...

tritweb.jpg

Shown are ice blue, orange and green. The pink you see is from the A19uv shining on them.

It appears ice blue is just like ultra blue glow powder, you need to mix regular blue and green to get it!

As time permits I'll add a few more.

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
Stillphoto,

Sorry to sidetrack this thread a little but it may be of some use to Stillphoto.

You live by the Tustin hangers huh... So do I. If you ever decide to venture and see a movie at the new AMC theater there, shoot me a PM with your e-mail.

I have some free drink and popcorn coupons you can print out and take to the theaters. They are good until 8/8/07. I took some of my family there for a movie and we gave the food counter guy 9 coupons at once and they did not flinch and gave us 9 free popcorns and 9 drinks. At $4.00 for each popcorn and $4.00 for each drink, that's about $70.00 in free refreshments. Then we did it again the next day.

davenlei.

Last edited: