Will 2x 3.7V lithium D primaries drive a 6D Xenon Maglite bulb?

TurkishCoffee

Newly Enlightened
What I'd like to do is slap the bi-pin Xenon bulb from a 6D Maglite into my 2D Maglite, and run it on 2 D cell lithium thionyl chloride batteries. From the specs I'm seeing the big limitation on the lithium batteries is that they are limited to 200-230mA continuous draw and 400mA pulse. I can't find any info on the actual amperage of the 6D Xenon bulb. Will ~230mA fall far short? A little bit short? The other options as I see it are to run lithium thionyl chloride AAs in parallel groups of 3 (giving 7.2V and ~300mA), or to run a different number of a different type of AA in series, like 4x Energizer L91 in series.

"My keychain light is brighter than that, what are you doing? etc etc"
-Just for fun mostly, looking for a 6D incandescent bulb in a 2D package with a long shelf life.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 6 cell xenon bulb draws too much current for those cells. You could get a couple 3 AA to D series adapters (which triple the Voltage) and run the 6 cell bulb on 6 L91 energizers.

TurkishCoffee

Newly Enlightened
A 6 cell xenon bulb draws too much current for those cells. You could get a couple 3 AA to D series adapters (which triple the Voltage) and run the 6 cell bulb on 6 L91 energizers.

I think that's what I'm going to do. I did come across some Saft 3.6V high drain batteries capable of 3.3A but they were like $40 each.