Wilton 450S 'Bullet Vise' restoration

precisionworks

Flashaholic
they specifically say do not use any chemicals after the giving the part the blast profile
That's interesting ... on a smooth part (like a titanium or aluminum light) wiping with a clean cloth should be good, but rough parts (like the face plate I blasted) feel gritty until they are solvent cleaned & blown off.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's interesting ... on a smooth part (like a titanium or aluminum light) wiping with a clean cloth should be good, but rough parts (like the face plate I blasted) feel gritty until they are solvent cleaned & blown off.

Barry I usually never wipe a part after it has been blasted as 80% of the time I end up with a tiny lint stringy thing hanging from it and only notice this after it's almost all painted :)

Mac

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely love seeing resto's like this...Especially when it's going to involve a Hammerite type finish.

It's one of those finishes you've seen a million times but seldom appreciate until you refinish something in it yourself.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Had just enough time late this afternoon to apply the first coat. It has to cure for 48 hours before a recoat. Hammertone is the best for hiding small surface defects:

vise3-3.jpg

cy

Flashaholic
looking good... my bullet Wilton has been old faithful...
my large vise is a Reed 406 ... weight must be pushing 200lbs

precisionworks

Flashaholic
my large vise is a Reed 406 ... weight must be pushing 200lbs
I' envious :twothumbs Reed is one of the best known of the classic vise manufacturers. Every one I've looked at sold for a bunch.

Same with a Hay-Budden anvil ... which I still don't have.

unterhausen

Enlightened
for most of the work I do, I think I want an old Columbian. My Wilton looked like the one in the OP. I probably should have given it to my dad or kept it.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I think I want an old Columbian
Funny you should mention that name ... one of the guys on the Garage Journal BB say he has " a TON of used vises. Reed, Prentiss, Rock Island, Athol, Morgan, Columbian, Parker, Hollands, and a few others. Parker and Reed are the best in my book, but all are very good."

Don't know anything about his pricing, but he qualifies as a viseaholic :nana:

And he picked up an old, round ram Bridgy this year, so he can't be all bad ... especially since it came with "vise, power feed, and an indexing head. Total cost with rigging/lumber/diesel/mill/tooling was ~$800"

Looks like another good bargain hunter.

tractorguy15.jpg

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Got back on the vise today, deciding not to give a second coat of paint until she gets a scratch or two :D

vise1-3.jpg

The jaws are new & sharp, but dull looking on top, so they were set up on the surface grinder. Photo above shows magnetic blocking on each end to keep the jaw in place if the operator gets too aggressive with the cut.

vise2-3.jpg

The wheel is taking about .006" off per pass.

vise3-4.jpg

The original thrust washer (on the right above) showed a good bit of wear after only 30 years of use. It seemed a bit too thin, so I turned a thicker replacement from a piece of 4340HT that was left over from another job. The OD was sized to just fit the depression on the front face of the vise, and both sides of the new washer were surface ground so there's only .003" clearance.

vise4-3.jpg

Close view of the new washer showing the fit.

vise5-3.jpg

No offense toward Wilton, buy my solution is much cleaner & provides more support. But it involves turning, drilling, parting, surface grinding both sides, etc., which would make a high priced vise even more costly.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
like a Jedi master of machining!
Anyone on this board can do the same - if there's any secret to getting it right it's to think through the entire series of ops before making the first cut. The last op is always where the fatal flaw shows up - on the thrust washer, that was hack sawing the two cuts to make the slot, and a mess up there would have killed a couple of hours of work.

I go more slowly as the part is near completion. Rushing or getting distracted has spoiled more parts than anything else.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice look vise, Barry! :wave:
Although not my kinda color (only Bridgeport battleship blue for me) but definitely appreciate the passion for good old american hunk of steel.

OCD

Enlightened
Makes my Erie Tool Superior No. 44 look like a pin vise! :shakehead But is was my grandpa's so it is sentimental to me.

A+ Work! :thumbsup:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dayum! Looking great! The paint color is not my cup of tea, but you did a great job with it...