• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WIP -- Tungsten AA Light

Tofty

Enlightened
Thank you for doing this (and the other one).
I had looked into tungsten a long while ago as to whether it was possible to machine it using a hobby or home workshop type lathe/mill setup and found very little information except that it demanded carbide insert tips.
You have clearly shown that, just like titanium, tungsten and other exotic metals arn't anywhere near as scary as some would have you believe.

I'll have to keep an eye out for some 1" tungsten rod.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheapness is not generally a consideration i have when making lights, especially not with my solid silver one.

How about this for another exotic material choice.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Molybdenum-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2326f0aead#shId

Well, I'd want a lot more info on what is actually being sold--like knowing what alloy it might be.

Not to mention--from Wikipedia:

Molybdenum dusts and fumes, which can be generated by mining or metalworking, can be toxic, especially if ingested (including dust trapped in thesinuses and later swallowed).[66] Low levels of prolonged exposure can cause irritation to the eyes and skin. Direct inhalation or ingestion of molybdenum and its oxides should be avoided.[79][80] OSHA regulations specify the maximum permissible molybdenum exposure in an 8-hour day as 5 mg/m3​. Chronic exposure to 60 to 600 mg/m3​ can cause symptoms including fatigue, headaches and joint pains.[81]

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheapness is not generally a consideration i have when making lights, especially not with my solid silver one.

Not to burst your bubble, but Fred is not 3D printing lights. And he has delved into materials a bit more complicated metallurgically speaking than simple silver.

Is the Ti Pyramid light you (Fred) are building also a AA/14500 sized light?

Have you made any progress with that one?

Please don't spin any metals which create toxic dust particles. I would like you to keep spinning a long time yet.

obi

Tofty

Enlightened
$110 to ship a $150 rod of molybdenum? That's a bit high...

It was only $20 to a US destination.

Well, I'd want a lot more info on what is actually being sold--like knowing what alloy it might be.

Not to mention--from Wikipedia:
Molybdenum dusts and fumes, which can be generated by mining or metalworking, can be toxic, especially if ingested (including dust trapped in the sinuses and later swallowed). Low levels of prolonged exposure can cause irritation to the eyes and skin. Direct inhalation or ingestion of molybdenum and its oxides should be avoided. OSHA regulations specify the maximum permissible molybdenum exposure in an 8-hour day as 5 mg/m3​. Chronic exposure to 60 to 600 mg/m3​ can cause symptoms including fatigue, headaches and joint pains.

I had not realised that it could be so hazardous. Believe it or not i was not trying to kill you, merely raising a discussion point.

Not to burst your bubble, but Fred is not 3D printing lights. And he has delved into materials a bit more complicated metallurgically speaking than simple silver.

You comments make it sound like i have in some way belittled Fred's achievements. Far from it.
My point was that by using silver rather than something like copper, the cost is greatly increased while the benefits are only slightly improved, i therefore don't worry too much about cost if it's a project of interest to me.
I did it because i can, because i wanted to see what would happen and because nobody else has done something similar.
I've always felt that Fred makes lights for the same reasons and they are impressive for these very reasons.

The light i mentioned is actually made of sterling silver, usually a blend of at least 92.5% silver and the remainder being copper.
This provides a desirable strength increase to the otherwise overly soft silver.....gosh metallurgy.

I also have not exclusively made torches by 3D printing them, i have turned many metal types in my time and look forward to opportunities to try new ones.
One of my next projects will be a 365nm UV light with a magnesium body.
Now the snap reaction would be that this is a stupid idea and a great way of starting an uncontrollable fire but funnily enough the very reason i deem magnesium suitable for torches is the same reason why it won't burst into flames: good thermal conductivity and excellent machinability.
Large chips, cut cleanly won't get hot enough to combust and the body itself would have to be thrown in a furnace before it started to burn.
It also anodises which will allow some level of corrosion resistance.
Will it work? Who knows, but i'll enjoy finding out.

All i know is that i really want to have a go at working with tungsten and if your earlier comments were to the effect that i won't be able to then we have a point of disagreement.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
obi: Yes, the Tungsten AA will use 14500 Lithium-ion batteries. The machining is pretty much done on the light; I'm waiting for a custom driver to arrive and hope to put my new driver, the PICcolo, in the light.

Tofty: When you posted that Moly rod for sale, and I saw the price, I was quite excited, but not so much after I took a quick look at Wikipedia. I love trying new metals, but I've also learned, for instance, that one shouldn't order, say, a bar of Tungsten Carbide and expect to make anything out of it with your home shop manual lathe. :shakehead :devil:

I turned magnesium, and you are right--little danger of a fire, but I'd still be prepared. Same caveat even for Ti, actually.

As for silver, I made this light some time ago. Really an incredibly nice feeling light in ones hand.

HSS-final-4.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

HSS-final-9.jpg

That was hand hammered to create that shimmering look. Wasn't my most exciting light, but a fun project.

Tofty

Enlightened
I certainly wouldn't try and use tungsten carbide.
The bucking bar you used for the first tungsten light wouldn't have been carbide.
Most likely a high purity, high density alloy which is what i will be looking out for.
In fact since i can get one of those bars for around £110 delivered i may well consider making some very hard wearing bezel rings.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bucking bar was probably 90% W and the rest iron and nickel.

Keep in mind that 100% W is fairly difficult to machine. The rod that I bought for the AA light is 95% W, with the balance nickel and iron, and is definitely harder to work with than the 90% alloy--but certainly workable with carbide inserts.

Trave11er

Newly Enlightened
Still the one that's got me... :grin2:

W-AA_WIP-11_zpsce9fb468.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zandar

Enlightened
Trave11er, I want this one too! Oh so pretty, and oh so expensive! I'm afraid I'll have to pass when the time comes. I'm still waiting on the fabled "Indiana Jones" puzzle light anyway!

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to pick a favorite as they each have merits unrelated to the others. Easy to have multiple favorites (cop-out for wanting them all) :devil:

Dale