Wireless home camera system

Bigblue

Newly Enlightened
I consider the group here fairly tech savvy so thought this may be a good forum to pose this thread. I'm looking for a wireless home camera system with DVR and remote viewing (i.e., computer, iPhone, android tablets) capabilities. Will need 2 outdoor and 2 indoor cameras. Would like to keep this under $500, not including cost of harddrive.

In the limited search that I did, I see a lot of Zmodo and Lorex, but the reviews have been mixed at best. Most negative reviews are to do with after sales support / service.

Another alternative is go modular and get the cameras (i.e., Foscam) and an network video recorder.

Short of having to write codes, I like to think I can install the system myself even if instructions are poor. But hate to get a system that is prone to breaking down and the lack of support concern me. I understand things happen and not many things are perfect.

Please let me know what you tried and and what worked for you.

radiopej

Enlightened
I like Foscam-type ones. If you have an old computer laying about (or just one that you're fine leaving on, set up a few of those and install WebcamXP on the computer to monitor them all.

If you want, later turn that computer into a server for everything ;)

Bigblue

Newly Enlightened
I like Foscam-type ones. If you have an old computer laying about (or just one that you're fine leaving on, set up a few of those and install WebcamXP on the computer to monitor them all.

If you want, later turn that computer into a server for everything ;)

I do have an old computer and have thought about routing all cameras through the computer and recording to the hard drive, but not too keen on leaving the computer on 24/ 7. That's why I'm thinking a network video recorder and Foscam type cameras.

Bigblue

Newly Enlightened

I just looked up Dropcam. The features and reviews look good, even has motion detection and two-way audio. I would skip the cloud recording though. Not a fan of adding more monthly fees.

This definitely is a possibility. Thanks.

Bigblue

Newly Enlightened
Dropcam doesn't have outdoor cameras. At least not as of now anyway.

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
If it's all wireless, could you in theory put it in a housing or just mount it under an eave?

I have used Foscam 8910W cameras mounted under my eaves for two years with very few problems. They are not rated for outdoor use by Foscam. We have very mild temperatures though.

Bigblue

Newly Enlightened
If it's all wireless, could you in theory put it in a housing or just mount it under an eave?

Yes, in theory you can. In fact, some third party sellers make them for sale. The bigger issue is that Dropcam's video format is proprietary and cannot be recorded to hard drive, not even when using software like Blue Iris. Thus the only option for me would be to use their cloud recording service, which is a monthly fee service. That is a no go.

One really viable option is the Hikvision cameras. From what I read, picture quality and reliability of connection far exceed those of Foscam or any other WiFi IP can in this price range. One negative is that you need to hardwire to your network. Positives are more reliable connection, excellent picture, and no bogging down the wireless bandwidth. I can record to hard drive and no monthly service fee.

With all that said, I bought a Foscam 9821w. This is a new video format, h.264, supposed to be bandwidth friendly. I can record to harddrive or directly to an SD card in the base of the camera with xtection recording. I'll see how this works. My backup is the Hikvision.

Bigblue

Newly Enlightened
I have used Foscam 8910W cameras mounted under my eaves for two years with very few problems. They are not rated for outdoor use by Foscam. We have very mild temperatures though.

How is it impacting your wifi bandwidth? Do you experience a lot of drop connections to your network?

I'm in NJ so have a wide range in temps throughout the year. I'm going to try to mount one inside of a window facing outside, but this loses night IR recording. I'll see how my WiFi handles the bandwidth and i'll consider getting an outdoor Foscam.

I'll likely just use the Foscam in the main foyer and get the Hikvision. Will see.

Bigblue

Newly Enlightened
In case this may help someone, this is what I did. Brief background, I like technology, but I'm not a network engineer or a programmer by any means. I can set up routers and install wireless devices.

I bought one Foscam FI9821W and an extension cable. I got this one because it uses H.264 compression, which takes less bandwidth than non H.264 compression, so it does not severely strain my WiFi network.

The instructions that came in the box with the camera are very inadequate, especially if you want to view the camera images remotely.

I will say that the Foscam video instructions are excellent, except for one step. This step cost me couple of hours of sleep. I set up the camera and port forwarding. I tried the Foscam viewer on the iPhone and this free app is terrible. Can not get it to work. Then based on recommendations, I tried LiveCams Pro. I got it to work when viewing via the internal IP address (the one assigned by your wireless router), but this won't work if viewing outside of your WiFi, this is why you need to set up port forwarding. I followed the directions to the t, but when trying to connect via the IP address assigned to your network from your ISP, it would not work. This means that if I log on a computer outside of my home network, I would not be able to view it remotely. I was putzing with this for couple of hours and gave up.

Went to work the next day and called the tech, while walking him through, I got live video on the LiveCams Pro. Apparently this only works when you're NOT connected to your own WiFi. Again, I'm no network engineer, now I know. Foscam viewer still doesn't work though.

I mounted it under the overhang in front of the garage door and sealed the ports with electric tape. Will see how this holds up. I like the dome camera and not the bullet style so an outdoor dome camera will cost 2.5 - 3 times more than this camera and the reviews are significantly worse. It's not exposed to rain directly so I'll see how this holds up.

The picture quality and night images are very good for what it is. I have not had the connection dropped once in two days of usage. The wireless router is in the back of the house.

I placed an order for one more for the back of the house and Blue Iris software. This software will give me more recording and management options.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I'll help if I can.