Wolf-Eyes lens melted !

Kaneda

Newly Enlightened
A friend of mine got a Wolf-Eyes Cobra (rechargeable) for X-mas. He charged the batteries and turned the light on. After approximately 30 minutes the lens began to melt. After 50 minutes of continous operation there were big bubbles all over the lens. I can't believe this: almost 200 Euro spent for a flashlight and all it does is melting the lens ! Does this happen with all Wolf-Eyes flashlights ?
Will a replacement do any better ? Or are Wolf-eyes lenses just rubbish ? Any help and suggestions are appreciated.
A happy new year to all of you !

Kaneda

Reptilezs

Enlightened
this is pretty typical of plastic lensed lights that have a high output. i recomend a glass lens if you dont want melting to occur

Impyboy

Newly Enlightened
The PILA flashlights now come with tempered glass lens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

you can try asking the wolfeyes rep if they can replace it with glass. otherwise, order one from PILA

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran my M90 with a plastic lens the first time I got it for the full 80 minute run time. No melting, but I did leave it in front of a fan

B@rt

Flashaholic
I don't know what size lens the Wolf-Eyes light uses, but flashlightlens.com has a nice selection of high quality lenses at great prices and cheap shipping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
A UCL lens would boost brightness as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DumboRAT

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sorry to hear of your troubles......

But yup, this is a problem that plagues all "plastic lens"-use high-powered incandescents, which tend to generate a lot of "forward projected" heat during use.

SureFires will do this as well; it's not a problem of the light or of the lens -- the plastic lenses are typically more shatter as well as shock resistant, but they just cannot be subject to the same amount of heat as glass.

You have to choose (or try to modify, in your case) the right lens for your application/needs.

Best of luck !

Allen
aka DumboRAT