Woman mistakes Dynamite for candle during power outage.

markr6

Flashaholic
You're in the dark. You grab what you think is a candle, and then automatically light a match and apply it to the candle. You're not going to stop and consciously examine what's in your hand. Your mind has already determined you're holding a candle. No one in such a scenario is going to stop and examine what they're holding with that lit match.

Oh you're right. I just apply fire to whatever in the dark as I continue to watch sparks fly from the wick.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Oh you're right. I just apply fire to whatever in the dark as I continue to watch sparks fly from the wick.

As mentioned, it was a quarter stick. Plus, she retrieved it from a location left behind by the previous owners. Dynamite can degrade over time. Producing a proper fuse is not as easy or simple as opening up a can of beans with a P-38. She most likely lit it, and the fuse either burned down much faster than it was supposed to, or perhaps the dynamite instantly blew up. Two very real possibilities. The only silver lining being that perhaps the quarter stick had been down there for so long, and degraded so much, that what she experienced was far from the full force of a normal quarter stick going off.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Anyone have any sort of update on what happened to this poor woman? I tried, but couldn't find any new info.