Wondering about value-for-money NVG/NVScopes

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a rather keen angler during those times when I'm not locked up in my lab like a mad scientist modding lights or doing other semi-creative things.

One thing that came across my mind was that I do quite a bit of night fishing, and rather than trying so hard to illuminate my work area, my casting area, trying to see where my line is going when the big 'un strikes, would I be better able to see the scenary before me if I were equipped with night vision scope or goggles?

What sort of features and specifications should I be looking for? What sort of price range should I expect to pay, and for which particular brands, models, or generation? (BTW, splash-proofness would be a bonus since it can sometimes be pouring rain, but I should be able to protect it somewhat against the elements.)

Thanks in advance.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I don't know much about night vision equipment myself, I did some digging around the net for a friend that wanted some info and I found this night vision forum.

Might be worth doing a few searches or even registering and asking the experts over there.

Glow Bug

Enlightened
ITT & Litton manafacture the best equipment available. I would use a monocular because it allows you to keep one eye acclimated to the darkness if you need to remove the night vision. Prices would start at about $1800 for a Generation 3 unit and climb to around $4500 for a PVS 14 Gen 3 with 64 line pairs per millimeter. For the money I would go with an ITT 160. It has a minimum of 51 line pairs. If you go with a cheaper GEN 2 unit. you would need supplimental light and it will not work as good for your application. I use a Gen 3 for shrimping when returning to shore and find it along with my GPS to be invaluable.

Rich at Excalibur can answer any question you need about this subject. He sevices and sells to most retailers in the USA.

http://www.nightvis.com/

leddite

Enlightened
i'd agree about the ITT units at least, they're definitely on my "list" of things to get. well, one anyway :>

added bonus with the ITT units, they are watertight, and i believe they float! good for boating.

i'd aquire a traser light, and attach one to the unit, so you can easily find it in the dark!

llvo

Enlightened
how about those Gen 1 googles? will it be useful? I want to buy a NVG but can't afford to buy those expensive Gen2-3 stuff

please help

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy wads of greenbacks, Batman!!
smile.gif

US$4500 is waaaay to rich for my blood. I would like to believe that "you get what you pay for" is the situation that governs these devices, and that for my $4500 I would get something that would be very good, but it's just that I can't really afford to blow that much on what is essentially a gadget. Thanks for all your help though.

Some of the more affordable models have caught my eye and I would like to gather any comments about them. From this page, there is the UNI-M5 Night Vision monocular, the Unitec MG-1 NightVision mono-goggles, the UNITEC-Delta Night Vision Waterproof Scope and the UNITEC-BNV3 Night Vision Binoculars.

From **** Smith's, the Apple Nightowl NO100 (cat no. L8182).

Thanks very much.

Jake

Newly Enlightened
Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I just got a Night Owl NOCX3M Monocular and I love it. It's waterproof and floats and has 3X magnification. Quality of the scope seems top notch. I watched some dear wonder through some fields in the pitch black at about 50 yards away, quite cool. The only thing is human and animal eyes glow like they're possessed by satan! A little freaky! I got it off ebay brand new for $200. You can find it at online stores ranging from $250-$350. It pays to shop around!

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jake: Thanks. Will look out for it. It sounds like the NOCX3M might be what I am looking for. Waterproof and floats. I expect the prices you mentioned are in US dollars? BTW, what sort of batteries does it take?

As for the nightvis.com page, they don't ship outside of US, claiming that it is a prohibited export. *sigh*

Jake

Newly Enlightened
Yes, that's US dollars. It takes the 123-type 3 volt lithium batts. I forgot to mention it has a built-in infa-red illuminator and the beam shoots pretty far. I'm leaving on a three week hunting/camping trip soon(no I won't be using it to hunt at night, that's called poaching and it's illegal!) and can't wait to see what I can see up there in the mountains!

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jake: If you see this, how was that camping trip?

PsychoBob: I can find loads of Gen1 stuff in the local camping shop and electronics/gadget shop. But I can't figure if it is worth the money or if I will be severely disappointed.

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
Personally, I'm just looking for a headstrap, so I can get a cheap NODS3 locally, and turn it into a mono-goggle. I've seen one that uses the tripod connector to attach to the monocular, but it was as part of a complete set.

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
Steelwolf- I've read good things about Night Owl's gen1 systems. $200 for a waterproof, floating monocular? Sounds good to me, especially if I can get it in a day-glow color that a Royal-Blue LS would spot. The NONO3Y is yellow, and waterproof, but uses a 3v lithium (expensive), and has no tripod-mount.

www.nightowl.com -they have several good comparisons, a buyer's guide, and a Spec chart for the more technical questions.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably too early to be asking about nightvision (probably still asleep
grin.gif
), but:
P905397.jpg

AMT NightStorm Night Vision Optics
Here are more details on the scope; 35,000 X light amplification vs 15,000X listed for the NightOwl:
Manufacturer site specs
A friend is considering this one for $191 vs. the Night Owl NONO3 scope for $138; according to the specs, the resolution of the Night Owl is 24 lp/mm, and the AMT is 40 lp/mm. Are these specs credible, or are they prone to car stereo amp type inflatemanship?
Would the AMT be a better scope for the money? On paper, it seems to be much better- anyone have any experience with this one?