Woods walking

klip88

Newly Enlightened
Albany, NH where my property abuts the National Forest. Love to spend nights sleeping in my hammock throughout the Forest.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

my property abuts blue job state forest not as majestic but still tons of fun !

klip88

Newly Enlightened
klip88, I had a lot of fun reading your original post. I started out with a malkoff MDC AA and 2xAA also. Coming from an old Incan 2xC maglite, it was amazing! Similarly, I was walking in the woods with the kids. Tons of fun. Since then I've added my first 18650 lights: malkoff Hound dog 18650 and MD2. Honestly, usually the hound dog is in a pocket until we want to look way across a field or something. I do enjoy having that option!

yea it's fun to have that option I'm on the wait list for either a wildcat or hound dog whatever comes in stock first... haven't tried any other brand but I enjoy no frills items like my Toyota's for cars seiko a for watches, ariens for snow blowing etc you get it lol

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
Anyone take a firearm out with them in the woods. I am a 9mm fanboy and would atleast take my S&W Shield 9.

Humans are "NOT" at the top of the food chain In the woods you are nothing but a soft slow moving snack
no fangs no claws and no fur to protect you.
You bet you're butt I carry a firearm,good flashlight and spare batteries also a couple power bars just In case and I don't think that's overkill It's just common sense.

Reactions: UFO

klip88

Newly Enlightened
Humans are "NOT" at the top of the food chain In the woods you are nothing but a soft slow moving snack
You bet you're butt I carry a firearm,good flashlight and spare batteries also a couple power bars just In case and I don't think that's overkill It's just common sense.

In my hike bag I keep a ziplock bag full of snacks and potted meat, hand warmers, batteries, cellphone back up charger, pocket knife, fishing line, first aid kit, compass and of course a gun and flashlight so no I don't think that's overkill at all I don't think that I do is overkill I've needed all those things (well not the gun yet) whenever I do a hike more then a mile or two. I agree again completely common sense to have items, I have gotten in bad predicaments and almost needed even more, last March old speck mountain no ice spikes gah that's a story if anyone's interested lol

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our bears hibernate this time of year up in my neck of the woods. I'd be more worried about mountain lions. Luckily my nightly walks are purely rural open farmland. Coyotes heard in the distance but they keep it that way.

klip88

Newly Enlightened
Our bears hibernate this time of year up in my neck of the woods. I'd be more worried about mountain lions. Luckily my nightly walks are purely rural open farmland. Coyotes heard in the distance but they keep it that way.

New Hampshire and Maine only has reported sighting of mountain lions, my wife says the coy dogs will stay away (i am originally a city boy NYC till I was 25) but I still don't trust any animal lol

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup....

klip88

Newly Enlightened

holy crap tonight after our big storm me the wife dogs and daughter went out saw a porcupine climb up a tree which I didn't know they could do them twenty feet in front of us a pack of 6 coyotes, I pulled my sidearm out, then my wife who refuses to enjoy flashlights with me, decided she wanted one the rest of the walk lol

340pd

Newly Enlightened
Anyone take a firearm out with them in the woods. I am a 9mm fanboy and would atleast take my S&W Shield 9.

I do a lot of pre dawn walks on trails and unlit quiet neighborhood streets and learned quickly that lumens mean little. A couple of years ago I was fortunate to pick up a Malkoff MD2 M61 with a Nichia 219b v2 and a hi/lo ring make this a perfect woods walker. On high it puts out only 220 lumens and although I don't know the output on low it is absolutely perfect as it does not destroy my light vision yet with a slight turning of the head I get all the throw and spill needed to navigate far ahead.
I also have a 18650 Hound dog in neutral and beautiful as it is, I much prefer the lower powered much lighter MD2.

My walks are an hour and the 18650 battery runs for more than three weeks.
As for packing a gun? My woods are urban park trails and the coyotes are less worry some than feral youth so I always slip a Ruger LCPII and a whistle in my pocket.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just remember if you get chased by a bear you don't have to run faster then the bear. Just faster then the person your with😁

klip88

Newly Enlightened
Just remember if you get chased by a bear you don't have to run faster then the bear. Just faster then the person your with😁
Hahahaha except when those people are your wife and daughter... well I can run faster than the wife while carrying my kid...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was watching a cowboy show on tv recently and the good guy and bad guy were doing their thing when a bear approached. The bad guy said the bear will show us who the real winner is here. The good guy said it's the one who can run faster who will win and shot the bad guy in the foot.

The bad guy said that aint fair then the good guy shot the bear in the foot and said now it is……

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Longmire. (it was a tv series that lasted 6 seaons).

When I'm woods walking I really prefer not to have a whole bunch of extra lumens spilling from the sides of a pencil beam. Low lumen with high candella type are my favorite at those times. A good ole 4C Maglite with a SureFire E2 for backup. Or for LED a Maglite ML100 with a 110 lumen Streamlight TL2 for backup.
Yup.

Last edited:

klip88

Newly Enlightened
Finally after a year got an md3 with hounddog head bright as hell lol, going to buy a spill type head soon as someone said earlier I only can take advantage of it when there's a ton of land lol. Prob will sell my Mdc 2xaa sorta redundant looks like eBay as you gotta pay here since last time I logged in to trade and sell!

Lumen83

Enlightened
I take hand held lights on hikes at night for fun. But headlamps for actually navigating the woods. Something floody with a warm tint, and multiple levels of brightness, so you can put it on low in the thick woods is going to be your best bet, in my experience. You want your hands to be free when stepping over roots and rocks or scrambling up and down whatever is in front of you. Don't forget about the psychological effect that a warm floody beam has when deep in the woods at night, vs. the claustrophobic and anxious feeling that a tight beam, cool tint might give you. I've spent a lot of my life in the dark, in the woods, in the mountains. And these are my findings.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Grab a wildcat if you can. A ton of flood and it will reach out 30 yards or so real good. The cool thing about the newest version is you can take the defusing film off the lens and you get a huge hotspot but 100 yards of throw.

klip88

Newly Enlightened
Grab a wildcat if you can. A ton of flood and it will reach out 30 yards or so real good. The cool thing about the newest version is you can take the defusing film off the lens and you get a huge hotspot but 100 yards of throw.
I was looking at that one or buying an Mdx22.3 head to buy several drops ins decisions decisions

3_gun

Enlightened
In many of the woods I walk, I am the other white meat; not the top of the food chain. Until you add in a 357mag, now I can make it a fight. If I'm out at night & not on a trail I've done something VERY wrong. I like red light at around 25L to stay on track & keep my night vision backed up with at least 1k/L of 100yd throw white for safety. With the hip issue it has been years since I was able to hike or bike but thing are looking good to being outdoors again on a limited basis before the end of Sept.