Work wear

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Went back to Gabes store to see if they still had any long sleeve button up Huk shirts. They did. While walking toward the check out a sun hat literally reached out and attached itself to the hanger the Huk shirt was on.
263A58AE-9CF1-4420-99F3-E678BEE58894.jpeg

Someone had left the hat hap-hazardly laid across a rack of clothes and when I walked past the hanger hook on the shirt snagged the chin strap of the hat. I paused, looked at the hat. Price was $5.99…… "you're going home with me sun hat".

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Weather has cooled back down again where I live and it was time to break out the warm stuff again. In my work truck I pulled out the Dri-Duk canvas "ranch" coat with the company logo from about 10 years ago. A very high quality, dang near water proof canvas material but it was like wearing insulated cardboard. One year it had been hanging on a chair back, had fallen off but you couldn't tell because it stood up like a teepee. Well, each year it gets a little softer but still...
97ACFB66-914C-4863-942F-7D2E2F8C223B.jpeg

stands if leaned against something.
It has gotten pretty comfortable over the years yet is still rain resistant. It sheds water but if you were directing traffic in a downpour you'd get wet after a while.
6D04D949-4558-40AB-81FC-5CD2C8E0E07B.jpeg

Locks out the cold very well.

So the other night I get this message from MotoAmerica they have a Dri-Duk Yukon hoody on clearance for half off. And with a code half off of that. That meant a what was $200 price for $50. And my size was available too? They called it Dry-Flex canvas.
4762D9A7-7FBE-44F6-ABF1-D1D5D84AD4C2.jpeg

It's a water repellent number that is soft like a hoody but warm like a duck coat with 3oz (85g) of poly fill (fake down).

9CDAECA7-6559-495C-A1C2-825C9EBC77D6.jpeg

It does not stand up straight out of the package.

95245333-F608-4F72-9101-C8E570A4DAA7.jpeg

Yet it's warm like a Dri-Duk canvas coat.
This one has an adjustable hood. Plenty long, atriculating shoulders and elbows. It's an awesome work coat.
Edit:
Forgot to mention the stealth zippered right chest pocket that's big enough to hold at least a whiskey flask.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yesterday Jack Frost sent one of his serious cold fronts across the nation. Where I was it was nowhere like in Detroit or Buffalo, but it was plenty cold. The near steady breeze and wind gusts were brutal. My insulated sweat pants were not getting in done by any stretch of the imagination. Better than nothing mind you but nothing close to insulated Diluth firehose pants. Yet the Dri-Duk Yukon was surisingly good at blocking the frigid winds with just a t-shirt and flannel underneath. I had on a scarf and stocking cap too, so that helped but not once in an hour did I feel any cold penetrate that jacket at all including the hood.

At 7am this morning with a breeze blowing it felt like it was about as cold as the shady side of an iceberg but that Yukon jacket was great while setting up some yard decorations in elderly neighbors yards that the wind knocked over last night. Fleece lined Red Head jeans and 400 gram thinsulate Wolverine boots with WoolRich socks did the job too. While walking around grass blades were crunching like frozen snow.

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
@bykfixer, I want to thank you for mentioning Hawx brand jackets! I just went through this thread recently and ordered the Hawx Men's Pro Hooded Bomber Jacket. I'm working in a lab or teaching in a classroom most of the time so I don't work outside other than random tasks around the house and occasional projects, but I've always been interested in that type of jacket. I never bought one, partially because I heard those jackets are so stiff, but this one is great.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying my new jacket, and it's all thanks to you saying they are more pliable. I'm so happy to have something that's in between a regular sweatshirt jacket or a flannel shirt and my full blown winter parka in terms of warmth, and I'm glad to have something that can handle some abuse. :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Glad you are liking the Hawx jacket @blah9 . It seems to me they have good QC so you don't end up with loose threads, buttons that come off in the first few wears, crooked seams and the like.

My only "nit pick" at Hawx is how they over size their outter wear. See, instead of settling for 6 pack abs I have the whole keg size abs. Yet my shoulders aren't broad like Sylvester Stalone, so a XXL has sleeves way too long. It's as if it's an XXLT size.
A large fits much bettter. Yet every other jacket I own, large is way too tight anymore. So if I know I'm going to boot barn for a Hawx I'll wear a bulky covering to ensure the zipper closes easily over my bulk. Usually a compromise of size XL is purchased. But my zippered hoody is size L with room to spare.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
My only "nit pick" at Hawx is how they over size their outter wear. See, instead of settling for 6 pack abs I have the whole keg size abs. Yet my shoulders aren't broad like Sylvester Stalone, so a XXL has sleeves way too long. It's as if it's an XXLT size.
A large fits much bettter. Yet ...

That's a primary feature I like of that Carhartt J14 "Santa Fe" #14806 that I purchased a few years ago. It doesn't have extra-wide shoulders, for the amount of girth it allows. And so, the sizing seems about right. I picked one size larger than I prefer, to accommodate layering. And it's about perfect. A discontinued model, but they can be found online here and there. I picked mine up on eBay.

Of course, your point reminds us how variable each person's shape is. I've got average shoulder width, deeper chest, a bigger back, and a slight belly. One size up matches perfectly.

It has become my go-to jacket for cold weather. I've worn it in temps well below 0ºF, with only a shirt and a light "extra" layer ... and it's toasty warm. Yet, with just a shirt and keeping the zipper open a bit, it'll still be comfortable to just above 32ºF. Nice range, for me. And the cotton duck material that Carhartt uses is tough as nails. Isn't a waterproof model, but a decent annual dousing of a ScotchGard or Fiebing's Snow-Proof type treatment does well enough.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Like Boot Barn has Hawx, Tractor Supply has a lineup called RidgeCut. They're having a sale right now so I ordered a shacket by them. It's a flannel lined feux leather over shirt. Now, it's not fake leather also called "pleather". Instead it's much like a waxed cotton, if you've ever seen that stuff.

IMG_1760.jpeg

IMG_1761.jpeg

So it's comfy like cotton yet tough like canvas duck.

IMG_1757.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg

Only qualm is no inside pockets.

It's scheduled to arrive in a few days so I'll comment when it arrives. They use Fed Ex so I'm not 100% confident it'll show up the day tracking says it will.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Someone left behind a Carhartt wool watch-cap, hanging from a door hook at the inner loading dock door at work. Found it during my nightly patrol. Looks practically brand new. Was half tempted to keep it. But turned it in at Lost & Found.

Seriously, who forgets their warm wool watch-cap work wear; especially near the end of November in freezing cold NYC. Did they not notice their head was freezing when they left? :unsure:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you are liking the Hawx jacket @blah9 . It seems to me they have good QC so you don't end up with loose threads, buttons that come off in the first few wears, crooked seams and the like.

A large fits much bettter. Yet every other jacket I own, large is way too tight anymore. So if I know I'm going to boot barn for a Hawx I'll wear a bulky covering to ensure the zipper closes easily over my bulk. Usually a compromise of size XL is purchased. But my zippered hoody is size L with room to spare.
That makes sense. I've been lucky that the jacket fits pretty much exactly how I wanted it to fit, so I'm totally satisfied. Seems like great gear.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I bought a XXL Carhartt rain coat long ago at the Cabellas bargain cave. Maybe 2006? 7? It was oversized like Hawx gear but there were days I'd work in a cold rain for hours with layers under it and I was sure glad it was over sized.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Like Boot Barn has Hawx, Tractor Supply has a lineup called RidgeCut. They're having a sale right now so I ordered a shacket by them. It's a flannel lined feux leather over shirt. Now, it's not fake leather also called "pleather". Instead it's much like a waxed cotton, if you've ever seen that stuff.

View attachment 52728

View attachment 52727
So it's comfy like cotton yet tough like canvas duck.

View attachment 52729

View attachment 52730
Only qualm is no inside pockets.

It's scheduled to arrive in a few days so I'll comment when it arrives. They use Fed Ex so I'm not 100% confident it'll show up the day tracking says it will.
It arrived two days early. Yay!
Reviews said it runs big. Let's just say they made it "generous" so it can fit over layers. Yet the sleeves are a good length. Two snaps make it so you can snap the sleeve a bit tighter. Speaking of sleeves, those are lined with a polyester to ensure you don't get that velcro thing going when wearing over flannel.
IMG_1827.jpeg

It's thin like a flannel shirt with a thin flannel liner yet is a dense fabric that should be a good insulator. Of course it was a fairly humid 55 degree day when it arrived and it was fine for that over a Spring/Fall weight t-shirt.
IMG_1829.jpeg

A closer look at the cotton fabric that has a leather look to it. I suppose it's waxed.

It appears to be somewhat water repellent.
IMG_1831.jpeg

A light splash of water beads up, yet a heavy rain fall would be an issue. Camp Dry should help there.

I gave it an inspection for loose threads, crooked seams and other flaws. None were found. It appears this new line of work wear from Tractor Supply is definitely worth considering. It's made in Vietnam if that matters to some.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The goat skin are flexible, sturdy, should make nice light duty, and cold weather driving gloves 👍
And they leave my hand smelling like a new football.

I opted for L even though the fingers are a bit longer than I prefer. Harder to find a pocket or zipper due to the extra length but..... the M were just too snug around the knuckle area and felt binding.

While there I bought some Carhartt winter slip on's to replace my lost Mechannix winter slip on's.
IMG_1875.jpeg

Normly $25 but were $12.99.
Hopefully they'll be as warm as those amazing Mechanix gloves were.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a good leather jeans belt.
Roller buckle preferred. Nothing fancy, but I'd like something a bit substantial.
Suggestions?
Hanks
Pricey but worth it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Each Mothers Day my wife attends a craft show where a vendor makes custom 1-1/2" belts. You pick the pre-tanned strip, and buckle. They punch the holes and install the buckle with screws while you watch.
$20.