X4.5 solar flare

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been cloudy at my house in southern CA. Was hoping to see something after hearing people in the Florida Keys had pictures. I envy those of you with the view. Just hoping this isn't God's warning shot at earth after U.S. denying Israel help and U.N. abandoning them. See Genesis 12:1-3 of the Bible to understand what I mean.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
We had enough torches to kit out my family and friends - we went up a local "mountain" (a high hill, really) where there are nearly 360º views, and watched from there.
What an incredibly breathtaking display!!! The photos have nothing on the experience.

The kids loved it, and I for one was awestruck. God makes beautiful things.

View attachment 61884View attachment 61885View attachment 61886View attachment 61887
Beautiful photos! It looks like the sky was on fire. Were you able to see the colors with the naked eye?

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Beautiful photos! It looks like the sky was on fire. Were you able to see the colors with the naked eye?
Oh, absolutely! And thanks! I developed the photos immediately afterwards, to be as close to the real thing as possible, albeit with a little more green visible due to the nature of camera sensors. The photos bring up the luminance quite a bit due to the long exposure, but they also blur the detail of the light shafts and pockets of mini-colour that pass so briefly.

With photos you have no sense of the movement, the pockets of fleeting detail, the light play, that is so breathtaking. I think we got a pretty amazing view of it.

What a privilege to see such an awesome thing though. I'm still stunned.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've been watching the forecast throughput the day. It got stronger in the late afternoon with a large patch of red, but it seems to be weakening a little this evening.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The last largest solar flares must have mostly missed earth. Yesterday wasn't nearly as great as the day before.
The huge sunspot is turning away from the earth now, however the Spaceweather site is stating that on Wednesday it's going to be facing some sort of magnetically coupled path from the sun to the earth, which could channel more of that energy towards us.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sunspot just let out an X 8.7 solar flare. Because the sunspot was hidden on the backside of the sun, X 8.7 may be an underrating. It might actually be more powerful. You would think that since it's facing the backside, it's not a threat to earth. Unfortunately, if it causes a CME, it will be guided toward earth due to the Parker Spiral. This is by far the largest solar flare of the solar cycle, and if it produced a CME, it is heading straight to earth.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a short G2 storm yesterday from the big cmes, but basically a disappointment for an X 8.7. Must have almost totally missed earth. There is a new sunspot coming around the corner that let out an X2+ a little over a day ago. Since it was blocked by the sun, it may have been stronger. Seems like this solar cycle is just warming up. I thought I saw some strong activity above that sunspot probably a little farther back at the 8 or 9 O' Clock position from the videos. The one producing the X2+ may have a stronger sunspot above it. We'll have to wait and see.