Xeray "The Bomb" status?

Patriot

Flashaholic
XeRay
And a secret project to be unveiled toward the end of January which will "blow the competition out of the water" so to speak. This is our most exciting current project in terms of sales volume which could easily rival our aviation sales. We should be able sell 2,000 to 5,000 units of this new product in 2008.

Ok sorry, I misunderstood the timeline, what with all the different projects in the works. I'll look forward to the exciting product to be announced.
:popcorn:

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goodness its almost march!
I am so HID deprived.... I miss my barn burner... :(

too many funds too little compact monster HID :nana:

RalphRussell

Newly Enlightened
I've just noticed for the first time on the XeVision web site that "Coming Soon" will be 75w ballasts. I wonder if this is going to be the announcement. I did notice that it says they will be available for "Approved Applications Only". Dan (Xeray), tell us more! Is a "Build it Yourself" Barnburner an approved application?
:twothumbs

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I've just noticed for the first time on the XeVision web site that "Coming Soon" will be 75w ballasts. I wonder if this is going to be the announcement. I did notice that it says they will be available for "Approved Applications Only". Dan (Xeray), tell us more! Is a "Build it Yourself" Barnburner an approved application?
:twothumbs

Yeah specifically on this page. Be careful Ralphie, you'll shoot your eye out.
aero.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

Problem loading page with the above link.

lasercrazy
Even if Dan decides to let us buy the 75W ballasts you'll still have to use a substancial heatsink & airflow to allow proper operation. Not exactly plug and play but I'm sure someone will come up with something.
How does the current BB handle this? Isn't it the same light as the Xe-50 with a different ballast and bulb?

Last edited:

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BB can only handle the heat because of the thick aluminum bottom plate. Even with that it can only run for 60 minutes at a time max.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BB can only handle the heat because of the thick aluminum bottom plate. Even with that it can only run for 60 minutes at a time max.

Laser

I believe the thin aluminum bottom plate was made for and is a stock item on 50 watt lights overseas and not specific to the BB. The hard plastic shell of the Zeray is not the best conductor to get rid of the extra heat in anyway for a 75watt ballast and I don't think there's any air-flow there either... If more or the entire body was metal with the fins I'd bet the BB could run nonstop without any overheating problems... Great fun light and bright as He$$!

Cheers

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right about the bottom metal plate being standard now, but it wasn't when the BB came out and is required for it to function properly.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Laser

I believe the thin aluminum bottom plate was made for and is a stock item on 50 watt lights overseas and not specific to the BB. The hard plastic shell of the Zeray is not the best conductor to get rid of the extra heat in anyway for a 75watt ballast and I don't think there's any air-flow there either... If more or the entire body was metal with the fins I'd bet the BB could run nonstop without any overheating problems... Great fun light and bright as He$$!

Cheers

Yikes, that somehow bothers me a little bit that the ballast can just sit inside the body and superheat the dead air space within the light. I guess that's one very tough ballast which is designed to take those thermal loads.

I didn't know that the BB was rated for only 60 minutes. Just out of curiosity, does the battery last for more than 60 minutes in the BB?

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only get about 45 minutes with my pack but a new battery might get more. As far as what punishment the ballast can take you should pm/email Dan if you're interested.

billhess

Newly Enlightened
Read the last few posts on the prior page. We will unveil a dual wattage cylinder ballast later this month. The PCB's are done (1,000 in hand) we just need to finish the housing production. These will be available to CPF'rs March or April.

I must have missed something????????????