XR-E Reflectors?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what you mean by "offer reflectors to fit XR-E LED's into existing flashlights" since each light is different. However, one has been selling for a while now. It's McGizmo's McR-19.

vetkaw63

Enlightened
CM
I would like to put a XR-E into a Q3 (existing flashlight). Would the McR-19 work? If not, I was wondering if anybody had plans to offer reflectors that would work with the XR-E and existing flashlights, since it seems that they will all be obsolete. Thats what I meant.
Mike

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would likely need to remove all the components from the stock converter board and shave the height of the original aluminum heatsink down by half in order to gain the extra 4 mm in depth you'd need for the McR-19 Flood.

If the star mounted XR-E is as low or lower in profile than a Lux III star it should fit.

No regulation and you would have to resistor the tail switch but it seems possible.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Here is the size comparison of a CREE XR-E optic between a McR20 and IMS20. With the case removed, the optic will be even smaller.

PICT0148-1.jpg

PICT0149-1.jpg

AW

Newly Enlightened
Those was given to me by a CREE sales rep. I should be able to source the manufacturer soon.

mosport

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing the pics AW,

Any chance you'd be able to measure the XR-E optic diameter and hight with the holder removed?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optics are nice, but I like sidespill. I'm a reflector convert now. hehe. Sidespill in a tri/quad setup too is very important to make the overall wall of light...

Adding info to this thread:
SF L6 Reflector is known to work with the Cree, both stock and modified. See posts by CM and McGizmo. CM also said the mag reflectors (C/D) worked surpisingly well for a tight beam!!

RE: McGizmo's webpage on Cree proto type reflectors. The tri-setup is awesome! the Quad looks promising, and if a square of copper was used and the leds soldered to it, thermal relief would be pretty good. Imagine 4 of these, all firing from "one" sectioned reflector, lots of lumens! I wonder if it would be a tighter beam than with 4 seperate reflectors, surely the package design is smaller with the sectioned reflector. And it looks really cool too!!

Last edited:

AW

Newly Enlightened
Mike,

I don't have them at this moment but I should be able to locate the manufacturer to see what they have.

AW

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I paired up some beam shots (same manual exposure on all of these) and exposed the shots for the spot and not spill so the information on spill is very weak with the exception of some shots where you can see some indication. I think one pairing that illustrates a "new game" afoot is between a stock SF L6 which likely has a 5W LED with guesed Vf of 7.5 volts driven at a gues of 900 mA for a power of 6.75 watts against a 3 shooter configuration of XR-E's driven at 700 mA in series (Vf ~ 10V) for a power of 7 watts:

L6stock-3shooter-700mA.jpg

For a reasonable head to head comparison, I paired a 27LT-UX1J against a modified 27XR (DB917 in each)

27LT-27XR.jpg

I forgot to include in the lineup a modified McR-38 with XR that at 900 mA measured 10,000 lux at one meter.

An appropriate reflector will have some depth to it in order to catch part of the narrow thrust of light from the XR-E but reflectors need not be ruled out as viable optics for XR-E photon management!

It will be interesting to see how combination TIR/Lens optics designed specifically for the XR-E perform but my preference still remains with reflectors at this point. :eek:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mcgizmo,

What's the specs on the XR-E's that you're using in the shots? P3, Q2, or Q3?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Nitroz,

Since I have no intention of claiming but P2 and better in flux with any of the lights I offer for sale, I am somewhat reluctant to get involved in bin discussion but your question is a fair one in the context of these comparisons. All of the LED's used in these protos are P4 flux bin to the best of my knowledge.

EDIT: the only mention of Q flux I have seen apart from the spec sheet itself, is a feeler for a group buy. I will do what I can as well as pay a premium if applicable, to get the best LED's I can. If I am going to offer an expensive Titanium light, I have no intent of cutting corners on the LED itself. To date, I have not heard of a single Q bin let out from Cree. That is not to say they aren't there but my query after these with the rep at Cree as well as my distributor was met with a smile and chuckle from what I could gather and based on the humorous responses. A P2 does the job and better is just gravy on a feast that will sate by itself, IMHO.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
WOW !! :eek:oo:
A giant leap forward in technology indeed.
I really like the 3-shooter concept. Not only it performs like hell, it is also freakingly cool looking.
I feel a wave of excitement on CPF I haven't felt for a long time. A disruption in the force.
:D
bernie

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see the beamshot of a Cree in a HD45!

Also, I have 2 beautiful 27LT's standing ready for the upgrade when it becomes available.

-Goatee

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bernie: yeah, I feel it too! I have been waiting to get excited again over new led! the K2 just didn't deliver that excitement, and frankly, it didn't impress me from the datasheet when it was announced either!

Don: that tri-setup is impressive, is it correct that I'm seeing one smooth even hotspot? The quad setup is even more interesting, due to extra lumens, and probably a tighter spot with a smaller head than using 4 indivudual traditional reflectors. A copper center section with the leds soldered to it would take care of the heat pretty well I would imagine. Wattage at 700ma would be around 10watts, which is not bad at all considering my tri-luxeon setup runs at 11watts and puts out probably less than half the flux.

The quad setup seems to make the most sense to me for such a radical/extreme torch over a tri-setup. The extra heat should be able to be managed, and the extra light in the package is worth it when you are talking at least over an extra 100+ lumens at 700ma is added. The extra cost for one extra led shouldn't make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of it. I figure if the space is there for 4, might as well do 4. A dimming setup or high/low would be icing on the cake. For massive lumen LED torch, this would be about the best you could have in a nice managable size.

And yeah, it looks a heck of a lot cleaner than having 4 seperate reflectors!

Latest posts