XTAR VP1 Two Bay LCD Charger

ALWZWFO

Newly Enlightened
I just found xtar-store has the vp1 and others on sale for 20% off through december. I bought two! Look for discount code at top of their webpage.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice, thanks. good price that is.
I see they are on backorder.

I can get these for £28.50 in the UK with FREE delivery if anyone in the UK are interested.
thanks.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
I initially bought and used it alongside with another 2 bay Xstar charger that didn't have the display. I have since retired the non display model and gotten myself another VP1.
The display worked really well for me especially charging paired batteries. It enables me to see the starting voltage of both the batteries to ensure that they are not faulty and a final resting voltage display allows be to be sure I am ok to use them as a pair. Previously I had to use the DMM to check them before and after charging.

Plus the push button switching of charging current is really handy for the smaller batteries. All the other ones I had before had a slide switch which is usually located at an inconvenient location at the side or the back.
Great product.

Thanks Ben,
This is what I have been looking for.
I have plenty of dead AW cells.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 4

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did they get dead? Did protection circuit kick in and show 0 voltage?

Bill

Hi Bill,
Those cells i bought back in the year 2009 - 4 AWP 14500 + 4 AWP 17670 + 4 AWP 16340 and some eneloops - they are all dead due to self discharge.
The AWP 17670 bought in the year 2006 still going strong until today despite the capacity has been slightly degrade.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thanks for explanation, was not sure what you meant. I've got Li-Co cells dating back further than your's that still work quite well, though I do not really tax them that much. Use them in one cell applications mostly. The one's that seem to be lasting longer are not protected ones. I, of course, monitor them closely.

Bill

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for explanation, was not sure what you meant. I've got Li-Co cells dating back further than your's that still work quite well, though I do not really tax them that much. Use them in one cell applications mostly. The one's that seem to be lasting longer are not protected ones. I, of course, monitor them closely.

Bill

Hi Bill,
The AW(Protected) 17670 purchased in 2006 was measured in a Turnigy charger at 12xxmah the initial capacity on the silver sticker is 1600mah.The one with the white tap was purchased in 2006.

13880439123590_zpsbrc8xwmp.jpg

13880441957821_zps8srh58ek.jpg

Danimalpharm

Newly Enlightened
What features or benefits does the new vp2 charger have over the vp1? It appears it is a USB output. I'm not clear what the USB might be for. Sorry if this post is not related, I'm a newb.

__philippe

Enlightened
What features or benefits does the new vp2 charger have over the vp1? It appears it is a USB output. I'm not clear what the USB might be for. Sorry if this post is not related, I'm a newb.

Welcome, Danimalpharm :wave:

Xtar VP2 charger additional welcome new features (compared to the VP1):

• one discrete Charge Termination LED indicator per channel
  • 3 selectable termination voltages (3.6V[LifePo4!]/4.2V/4.35V)
  • real-time Voltage AND Capacity display
  • one USB output port for charging external devices (like iPhone, etc...)
  • wider slots to accommodate the beefier 22650/25500/26650 cells

see here for more on the forthcoming VP2 (expected end January-early february)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?378397-XTAR-CES-2014&highlight

Cheers,

__philippe

Last edited:

Peace Train

Enlightened
I'm new to this too and wondering whether it will charge rcr123's (16340)? If so, would it need a spacer, where can I get one, anything else I need to know?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm new to this too and wondering whether it will charge rcr123's (16340)? If so, would it need a spacer, where can I get one, anything else I need to know?

It will charger some rcr123 without any spacer. The problem with rcr123 is that there are many different types with different charge requirements: http://lygte-info.dk/info/CR123A and rechargeable substitutes UK.html

The VP1 chargers 3.6/3.7 volt types using a charge voltage of 4.2 volt, the VP2 can also charger 3.0/3.2 volt types using a voltage of 3.6 volt.

My review has a table of supported battery sized and recommended charge current: http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Xtar VP1 UK.html

Peace Train

Enlightened
Thanks, this is very informative! Are they the same size requirements for Xtar VP2? I currently have requirements for 18650 and coming soon rcr123 (haven't ordered batteries yet, so I'm open to any brand/type that will work with the VP2 - sorry, I've been reading so many reviews that I didn't realize this was a VP1 thread). :)

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks, this is very informative! Are they the same size requirements for Xtar VP2? I currently have requirements for 18650 and coming soon rcr123 (haven't ordered batteries yet, so I'm open to any brand/type that will work with the VP2 - sorry, I've been reading so many reviews that I didn't realize this was a VP1 thread). :)

The VP2 does also support larger batteries: http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Xtar VP2 UK.html

markr6

Flashaholic
I like my WP2 II, but thinking about upgrading to the VP1 simply for the voltage display. I always use my DMM, but this would just be so much more convenient. Not sure the VP2 is worth the extra upgrade, since I don't use the 26650 cells or different voltages.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my WP2 II, but thinking about upgrading to the VP1 simply for the voltage display. I always use my DMM, but this would just be so much more convenient. Not sure the VP2 is worth the extra upgrade, since I don't use the 26650 cells or different voltages.

I have a WP2 II and held off on the VP1 because the former worked pretty well for my needs, but when the VP2 came out a earlier in the year, I bought one and I'm quite happy with it, since it's pretty much 'future proof.' I bought a few 4.35v 18650s to run in my lights and it handles those with aplomb.

For a few extra buck spent on the VP2 vs. the VP1, it's pretty much a no brainer IMO.

Chris

markr6

Flashaholic
I have a WP2 II and held off on the VP1 because the former worked pretty well for my needs, but when the VP2 came out a earlier in the year, I bought one and I'm quite happy with it, since it's pretty much 'future proof.' I bought a few 4.35v 18650s to run in my lights and it handles those with aplomb.

For a few extra buck spent on the VP2 vs. the VP1, it's pretty much a no brainer IMO.

Chris

I actually though of you Chris, when replying. I remembered you mentioning the 4.35v D1 cells a few times. Maybe I will reconsider, even though I don't see myself going away from the usual NCR18650B. Always a good idea to future-proof yourself!