Your battery stash- how many cells do you keep on hand?

How many batteries do you keep on hand?

• Total voters

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Raising hand to ask teacher question....

Why you guys have so many eneloops?
Guess the next question would be are they in use or do you have that many spares?
Just curious if eneloops are the new alkalines to folks...as in got plenty when the power is out with ability to recharge when it returns...

Ok back to our show...here on the battery stash thread.

Last edited:

Frdlite

Newly Enlightened
I keep most of my lights loaded most of the time.Also have 6 charged as duraloops,12 cr123,4 c size in the pack and 6 d size for extra

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guess the next question would be are they in use or do you have that many spares?
Just curious if eneloops are the new alkalines to folks...as in got plenty when the power is out with ability to recharge when it returns...

Ok back to our show...here on the battery stash thread.

First I have 6 lights that use 8, 7 that use 4 and many more the use 1, 2 and 3. Also 6 cameras, several remote controls......etc.
Alkalines?.....he says in his Jim Mora "Playoffs" voice"..........alkalines.......alka-LEAKS.
Eneloop hold a charge over a very long time, supply mass quantities of current over alkaleaks and a flatter output over time in lights.

dmattaponi

Enlightened

Why?...advertising/forums

In use/spares? Just about 50/50

Are they the new alkalines? For me I'd say yes. I just recently bought my first eneloops after years of reading about how great they are on various forums. My only experience with rechargeable batteries was back in the day when they were about worthless. Having switched my flashlights to AA, I figured it was time to give them a try. So far, so good. I really like the convenience and economy they provide, and they work well to boot. That said, I only have 32 of them which doesn't quite compare to some of the big numbers here.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the answers.

I've been using them for some stuff since about 07/08 because they held their full charge more than a few days. Nothing like going on a photo shoot with all your rechargeables at 50% after a week since charged.
These days I use the 'pro' model mostly. I skipped over the X model inadvertantly...
Some of my gen 1 eneloops are still in use. Not for flashlight use but for point n shoot cameras that use aa's that don't get used very often. That way if I choose to date stamp the settings are current...well half the time...the other half is when the daylight savings mode had not been updated.

And they do hold a charge for years. Last year I cracked open an 09 pack and stuck'em in a camera. Remarkably they were still showing 3 outta 4 bars of life left in the cameras battery meter. I still have one unopened 4 pack Circuit City and they closed quite a while ago.

Anyway I was just curious why some folks have so many extra eneloops. Hope nobody thinks I'm picking...being prepared is a good thing.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy 123s 50 at a time and cr2 10 at a time and try to make sure I have that many sitting here if I can.

I probably have 100 AA and 100 AAA in each of my 3 vehicles and another round like that at home too.

I Service/Install A/V stuff so you can imagine how many dead remotes I see every day.

I try to keep a carton of 9v in each vehicle and at home too.

I then have 20 D and maybe 12 C cells at home also.

I also have a lot of Eneloops on AA and AAA and a bunch of Lithium rechargeable as well.

I buy the Leakers locally at a Distributor and the prices are pretty good for Duracell or Energizer Industrial packs since they are at wholesale but everything else disposable I get from Battery Junction and only Panasonic as I am their *****!

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
RmyKLuK.jpg

texas cop

Enlightened
Work batteries are cr123a's, always have at least a box on hand (50 count). $50 for a box of 50 much cheaper than the 7-9$ for 2 at retail.

Pila

Newly Enlightened
How long my light works? Depends on how many spare batteries I have with me :)

For professional reasons I was using rechargable batteries my entire life. Alkalines could not do what was needed. That pushed me into trying my best to have AA/AAA NiMh for everything in the house (remotes for TVs, amps, air conditioners, GPS, cappuchino mixers, weather stations, clocks, toys ....). I will not buy a device (if possible) if the device does not run on AA or AAA batteries. I have close about 20 batteris used in apartment alone, not counting 8 flashlights.

But, it was only until in the last years Eneloops came to be (standard 2000 mAh ones with 2000 charges) that I am perfectly satisfied with them. Charge them and forget about them until needed. Leave in a car for years.

I have 15-20 spares (they actually "belong" in my flashes, but when not working, they are spares and in rotation). Plus, in my trousers, at all time I have a small box with one AA and one AAA Eneloop.

Just recently bought y only 18650 lamp with USB charging inbuilt.

Duracells leaked and burned one very expensive lamp we gifted to my wife's father. He would not listen. Now, he also uses Eneloops for everything.

Batteries are nasty stuff to throw away into garbage. Primaries should never be used. This way, with Eneloops, I expect to change batteries (about 40+ in one apartment) once in maybe 10 years. Before Eneloops, NiMhs lasted me probably about 5 years.

roger-roger

Enlightened
50/60 primary, and a moderate number of rechargeable. We have a hurricane season here believe it or not, although there have only been two to hit ground in my lifetime. Its a civil defense thing. In a long term power outage scenario, batteries are not on my list of concerns, which is a good thing. Of course in terms of freshness its necessary to maintain inventory through time.