Your EDC Battery

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yay! I've been looking for a single battery case! Nothing I've tried so far has worked so I've been using the standard double case. Thanks sidecross! I'm going to buy one or two. Seems they're on backorder right now though. Do you know if they fit a long protected 18650 battery like Keeppower or Orbtronic?
Yes, they fit protected and flat-top; I use a small piece of foam rubber at the positive terminal for my flat-top batteries to keep them stationary.

akhyar

Enlightened
My EDC is Olight S1 Baton as it is small enough to slip easily into the jeans pocket, pants pocket, etc without feeling any discomfort for prolong use.
I only use rechargeable battery for my EDC and I make it a habit to check the battery voltage with a DMM after some usage.
My only usage for primary batteries are for my glovebox light, as primary CR123 has an on the shelf lifespan of about 10 years

Poppy

Flashaholic
My EDC is Olight S1 Baton as it is small enough to slip easily into the jeans pocket, pants pocket, etc without feeling any discomfort for prolong use.
I only use rechargeable battery for my EDC and I make it a habit to check the battery voltage with a DMM after some usage.
My only usage for primary batteries are for my glovebox light, as primary CR123 has an on the shelf lifespan of about 10 years
I have a number of lights in my car but my main light is a 2AA light with duraloops in it. I have a back up of a 4 pack of AA lithiums. Since I periodically use the light, I want to make sure that the batteries are rechargeable and are periodically topped off.
NiMH batteries do almost as well as lithiums in the heat.

tops2

Enlightened

My Olight S1 is my most commonly carried light (aside from my Lumintop Tool AAA and Nitecore Tube). I just pop the 16340 in the charger every week or so. I actually only have one 16340 cell so I don't use the S1 as much as I can since I don't have another as backup. But I don't want to get another cell though. I'm interested in the Olight S1A since it sounds smaller but longer than the S1, but otherwise similar and can use Eneloop AA. When I was primarily using AA lights, I never bothered conserving cause I always have a bunch of spare charged Eneloops around.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight SC5 is my work EDC and I use eneloops as I can carry spares in my bag.Outside of work I still use primary CR123 or CR2s. I don't have to replace the primaries very often and haven't been left without light yet. I do keep spare batteries in the vehicles and any bag I may carry so I have reasonable access to them should the need arise.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Zebralight SC5 is my work EDC and I use eneloops as I can carry spares in my bag.Outside of work I still use primary CR123 or CR2s. I don't have to replace the primaries very often and haven't been left without light yet. I do keep spare batteries in the vehicles and any bag I may carry so I have reasonable access to them should the need arise.

I carry extra flashlights with the tail locked out. I have this notion that some day I won't have the extra time needed to swap out batteries for some reason.

I discovered eneloops back when they first came out. The Sonys I used in cameras would self discharge in just a few days to around 50%. One day I had to use all of my spares to get through an (unannounced) outdoor photo shoot where no power was available. I had not charged them in advance.
Another fellow suggested I try those new enviornmentally friendly "sanyo" rechargeables. It didn't take long to replace all of my Sonys with them. Triple A's too.

I guess at some point back then folks used them in flashlights too. I had outfitted all of my "car" lights with lithiums but my "camera" flashlight had eneloops. If memory serves....brb... yep the little 3aaa 5 LED "performance tool" number still has them and it just lit. They've been in that light a few years now.

Now if eneloop would make adapters to plug to my celphone. lol

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You do actually get things like 4xAA battery packs, for USB. Shouldn't be a problem to use them with Eneloops to charge your phone.

Thanks for the tip.
Actually my phone is plugged to a 4x now. (Phone died while typing the previous... with 35% remaining!!!)
My son gave me a few for Christmas.
It's not intended to swap batteries though. Not knowing what is going on inside besides generating heat I'd buy an Eneloop device if they made one.

Last edited:

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
Defining EDC as "Every Day Carry" meaning carry on my person, I carry three lights on my person every day. One is a freebie keychain light I got from brightguy.com, which has a button cell in it which I assume to be a primary. The second light is my 97 lumens LED Mini-Mag, chosen for its long runtime, which is my utility use light, and I keep Eneloops in it, and recharge them when the light dims. I'm usually near other Eneloops, so if I needed to I could do a battery swap, but generally my needs aren't that pressing. Third light is a Surefire P3X Fury Tactical loaded with Surefire primary CR123A's. This is my self-defense light, and obviously seldom gets used. It is checked periodically. Those are all the lights that I carry on my person.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
My edc is using a 14500 and gets a top up every weekend,I have an evening 18650 light used daily and that gets the same

_nw

Newly Enlightened
I use a pocket light with an 18650 and a keychain light with a AAA Eneloop. Rechargeables work really well for me.

ecmp

Newly Enlightened
CR123. 90 hours on low. Will have another fresh CR123 on delrin storage. More than enough for my needs.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry extra flashlights with the tail locked out. I have this notion that some day I won't have the extra time needed to swap out batteries for some reason.

I discovered eneloops back when they first came out. The Sonys I used in cameras would self discharge in just a few days to around 50%. One day I had to use all of my spares to get through an (unannounced) outdoor photo shoot where no power was available. I had not charged them in advance.
Another fellow suggested I try those new enviornmentally friendly "sanyo" rechargeables. It didn't take long to replace all of my Sonys with them. Triple A's too.

I guess at some point back then folks used them in flashlights too. I had outfitted all of my "car" lights with lithiums but my "camera" flashlight had eneloops. If memory serves....brb... yep the little 3aaa 5 LED "performance tool" number still has them and it just lit. They've been in that light a few years now.

Now if eneloop would make adapters to plug to my celphone. lol

Usually have extra lights and spare batteries in any bag I am carrying but unless I know I am going to be out and about at night I typically only carry one EDC and no extra battery on my person. There are Photons on my keys of course but not a true second EDC.With the small size of CR123 and especially CR2 it makes sense to just carry a second light instead of an extra battery though.I have considered a second light but haven't come up with a way to carry that suits me.I also have other EDC items and don't care to be overloaded,even a small light takes up a spot.I may figure something out eventually....

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
Usually have extra lights and spare batteries in any bag I am carrying but unless I know I am going to be out and about at night I typically only carry one EDC and no extra battery on my person. There are Photons on my keys of course but not a true second EDC.With the small size of CR123 and especially CR2 it makes sense to just carry a second light instead of an extra battery though.I have considered a second light but haven't come up with a way to carry that suits me.I also have other EDC items and don't care to be overloaded,even a small light takes up a spot.I may figure something out eventually....

Try lanyard wearing a keychain light, it is surprising how well it works out.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC the ThruNite Ti3 with Amaloops. If I were to leave for a week, I would take the Ti3, the TH20 and the Archer along with my ready to go AAA and AA storage packs full of fully charged Amaloops. AAA and AA to me are the ubiquitous go to for every situation.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try lanyard wearing a keychain light, it is surprising how well it works out.

I already have a photon or two on my key ring so I am not entirely without back up unless I forget my main EDC which happens occasionally(drives me nuts when I do).I am looking to carry a 2nd EDC with the same battery and I don't think I would like carrying a CR2 or CR123 light around my neck.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
I already have a photon or two on my key ring so I am not entirely without back up unless I forget my main EDC which happens occasionally(drives me nuts when I do).I am looking to carry a 2nd EDC with the same battery and I don't think I would like carrying a CR2 or CR123 light around my neck.

Try a keychain light around your neck for a day and evening, you might just be surprised--I was. Mine is a button cell light though, not near as clumsy as a CR2 or CR123 light.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I EDC an Eagletac D25A. It takes a 14500, which I use regularly, but also takes an AA.

I learned the hard way. My previous EDC for years was a CR123 light. On two separate occasions I was in fairly remote areas when my light died. The first time I dismissed as a low chance of happening again, but it did. It was over a year later, but it did happen. There wasn't a CR123 to be found. However, there were AA's everywhere! Lesson learned. Not to mention, CR123's in most brick and mortar stores are very expensive! I have seen as high as $15!

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums