Your EDC Battery

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
I EDC an Eagletac D25A. It takes a 14500, which I use regularly, but also takes an AA.

I learned the hard way. My previous EDC for years was a CR123 light. On two separate occasions I was in fairly remote areas when my light died. The first time I dismissed as a low chance of happening again, but it did. It was over a year later, but it did happen. There wasn't a CR123 to be found. However, there were AA's everywhere! Lesson learned. Not to mention, CR123's in most brick and mortar stores are very expensive! I have seen as high as $15!

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Three is two, two is one, one is none. There is a reason the astronauts always had three of everything on their spacecraft--a backup for the backup.Anything mechanical can and will fail, and according to Murphy's Law, fail at the worst possible time.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three is two, two is one, one is none. There is a reason the astronauts always had three of everything on their spacecraft--a backup for the backup.Anything mechanical can and will fail, and according to Murphy's Law, fail at the worst possible time.

This is why I would like a 2nd EDC to go along with the one I carry and the Photon. That gives me three at all times....the whole "always prepared" mindset.I could probably wear a coin cell like the Photon Microlight on a ball chain but that isn't really what I am looking for as I already have a photon on my keys.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC an Eagletac D25A. It takes a 14500, which I use regularly, but also takes an AA.

I learned the hard way. My previous EDC for years was a CR123 light. On two separate occasions I was in fairly remote areas when my light died. The first time I dismissed as a low chance of happening again, but it did. It was over a year later, but it did happen. There wasn't a CR123 to be found. However, there were AA's everywhere! Lesson learned. Not to mention, CR123's in most brick and mortar stores are very expensive! I have seen as high as $15!

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

There is always a perception that AA batteries are more available than CR123s and it makes sense especially outside the U.S. I have seen the reverse to be true though,some years back before I moved to Colorado.There was a bad ice storm causing long term power outages and of course there was a run on batteries.AA,D,AAA and C cells disappeared right away leaving only the "odd" cells like CR123.Expensive yes but they were available in stores.Whatever battery you might choose for your flashohlic needs always have some stock on hand at home,in your vehicle,BOB etc.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is always a perception that AA batteries are more available than CR123s and it makes sense especially outside the U.S. I have seen the reverse to be true though,some years back before I moved to Colorado.There was a bad ice storm causing long term power outages and of course there was a run on batteries.AA,D,AAA and C cells disappeared right away leaving only the "odd" cells like CR123.Expensive yes but they were available in stores.Whatever battery you might choose for your flashohlic needs always have some stock on hand at home,in your vehicle,BOB etc.

I buy my CR123a batteries in boxes no smaller than 12/box. I use these batteries as back up to my rechargeable 18650 and 26650 batteries along with power banks and potable solar panels.

Having AA batteries in many retail facilities does not fit my definition of being prepared.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a keychain light around your neck for a day and evening, you might just be surprised--I was. Mine is a button cell light though, not near as clumsy as a CR2 or CR123 light.

If all you want is a keychain/around the neck light and you aren't venturing very far try a 10180 based light. DQG Fairy in neutral white compared to a Jet-u which is already a fairly small AAA light.
BWzcLJL.jpg
QP9MHzh.jpg

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Primary EDC: HDS EDC 170N - AW RCR123 with a spare primary CR123 in small carrier in my pocket
Secondary EDC: SureFire Titan Plus - Eneloop Pro AAA, no spare battery
Keychain: Photon Freedom Micro (red)

I like being able to periodically "top off" the rechargeables in the first two and also really like having a spare primary cell on me for the HDS light and an additional high quality light (Titan Plus) as a backup to th HDS. :candle:

tops2

Enlightened

I used to only wanted AA/AAA lights for the availability of the battery. But overtime I saw the value of having lights that uses different cells (unless this is the flashaholic part of me, giving me an excuse to get more lights!)

These are my main picks from the lights I own for each battery type:

AAA: Lumintop Tool AAA
AA: Zebralight SC5w
CR123/16340: Olight S1
18650: Zebralight H600Fd

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR123 for the pocketlight, AAA for the keylight.
16650 for the edc bag light.
One spare 16650 and two CR123 in the bag as well.

Lights in question are E1D, TitanA and G2X LE. Honestly all I may ever need, but where's the fun in that.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lately my EDC consists of a 18500 protected Keeppower in my 18500 Tri-EDC. Just the right combination of size and runtime for me.

I don't mind the 18350s when they aren't too short, but I did find myself constantly recharging them.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
My primary EDC light is an OLight S30R in 18650. I also carry a spare battery.
On my key ring I carry a S10R and spare battery. On my car keys I have a Factor Ghost... Not even counting my cell phone.

I'm not afraid of the dark....
Lateck,

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

I made a point of checking battery availability before, during, and after Sandy, and around here, CR123s disappeared just as quickly as anything else. The only viable lighting cell consistently available in stores was the 9V, which you can breakdown break for AAAAs and use in an efficient sub-/low-lumen light like the D25A or Quark, and they'll approach Pak-lights in runtime.

Either light can be easily rigged (w/conductive threads) to run on any available cell, from 9V AAAA, to D cell, to 18650 (although the Quarks are better regulated and retain lower modes at spec). Not that you need to go shopping for batteries with "AA lights", alkalines can be readily scrounged from any home, office or hotel room.

Certainly nothing wrong with lugging around extra batts, you can do that with either format, but having extra power source options is a freebie and interestingly one of the primary reasons I EDC a flashlight is so I can cannibalize its good battery to power my smartphone while feed my light any old cell.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a point of checking battery availability before, during, and after Sandy, and around here, CR123s disappeared just as quickly as anything else. The only viable lighting cell consistently available in stores was the 9V, which you can breakdown break for AAAAs and use in an efficient sub-/low-lumen light like the D25A or Quark, and they'll approach Pak-lights in runtime.

Either light can be easily rigged (w/conductive threads) to run on any available cell, from 9V AAAA, to D cell, to 18650 (although the Quarks are better regulated and retain lower modes at spec). Not that you need to go shopping for batteries with "AA lights", alkalines can be readily scrounged from any home, office or hotel room.

Certainly nothing wrong with lugging around extra batts, you can do that with either format, but having extra power source options is a freebie and interestingly one of the primary reasons I EDC a flashlight is so I can cannibalize its good battery to power my smartphone while feed my light any old cell.

Sandy was more recent than the ice storm I was referring to so it is quite possible that CR123 lights are becoming more common with the average consumer and they may not last long anymore either.Still it is likely that AAs disappeared first they seem to sell out right away. It is good to hear 9Vs were available the Pak-lite is a good emergency light. I don't see myself taking apart a 9V to try and run a AA light though maybe I should carry a spare Pak-lite head,not much to "lug" around there lol. Scrounged batteries are not necessarily desirable to me because alkalines leak far to often IME although 9V never seem to be as bad as AAA,AA,C and D. Probably because the AAAA are enclosed in the 9V.I also don't consider using my flashlight battery to back up my cell phone but everyone has different priorities.
Don't get me wrong I have lights for all battery types and you never know how much things will change in the future. I will still buy AA and AAA lights on occasion but they will end up in a bag,vehicle or at home for now. CR123 or CR2 is what I will end up EDCing.

Last edited:

RobbyK

Newly Enlightened
Duraloop in my Zebralight SC52 and 10180 in my Cooyoo Quantum with a back up in a pill vial on my keychain. Retired my Klarus MI10. Looking to get a Ultratac K18 and go back to aaa on my keychain... But I must admit I really dig the Cooyoo.

FNG

Enlightened
I use primaries (CR123) and have a spare light (G2Z) in the car. I also have an AAA keychain light that hasn't been used all year. I tried the rechargeable thing but don't use a light often enough to justify the ~$30 for a charger + batteries. $30 can get me a couple dozen CR123 and some AA and AAA which would last well over a year.

If we're being honest, a normal person does not need a flashlight 99.99% of the time in a normal day so I don't put any thought into whether my battery is full or not. It won't be the end of the world if your EDC goes out or if you don't have one on your person.

I recently got a 2xAA light (for no reason other than it was cheap) and an 8 pack of Energizer L91 Lithiums. I can honestly say that this set of batteries will last me at least 5 years barring a natural disaster. Primary > rechargeable makes better sense for 99% of people.

ka9YUJr.jpg

Last edited:

RobbyK

Newly Enlightened
What about cr 2032 back-up back-up lights? I have a few floating around the home. Not a lot of light output, but enough in a pinch. And almost no one that isn't into lights carries one... At least in my circles. Should always be available in most stores.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Do you carry the spare battery on your key ring as well? I'd be interested in hearing about good solutions for that.
Yes, Oveready.com has a 18350 7075 HA Aluminum Battery Capsule. That holds a RCR123A nicely. I use their capsule for the 18650 too.

Lateck,

terjee

Enlightened
Primary > rechargeable makes better sense for 99% of people.

For most people – ignoring that they're not aware of the options – I'd say:

Lithium primaries > Eneloops > Other NiMH > Alkaline

Most people don't use their lights that much, which means "normal" NiMH would be depleted, but Alkalines would maybe both be unusable, and also ruin the light. For AA/AAA, with depleted NiMHs in an otherwise working light, you can still toss the cells and scavenge from remotes, wall clocks etc.

If you keep it to Lithiums, I do agree primaries are a good option for most people.

Friends and family have picked up that I've gotten into electronics as a hobby, and they've started calling me about random broken things. "Does this go to recycling, or can I throw it in the trash?", "The kids walkie talkies are broken, would you like them?"

Often the response is "No. I do not want your kids broken walkies, but I can try to fix it for them". Seems to me that when it comes to broken portable electronics, leaked alkalines are the number one killer these days, followed by leaking caps. Nothing else really measures up for there to even be anything for 3rd place.

I'm not a huge fan of "buy, use, replace every 1-2 years" that seems to be the norm these days. It seems electronics is moving more and more towards being disposable items, and it makes me sad really. Avoiding alkalines where they don't belong is an easy and cheap way to mitigate it, at least a tiny bit. It's something people can actually do.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about cr 2032 back-up back-up lights? I have a few floating around the home. Not a lot of light output, but enough in a pinch. And almost no one that isn't into lights carries one... At least in my circles. Should always be available in most stores.

While surveying battery availability during Sandy, in addition to the 9v, it seemed that a full range of button cells were also always in stock, so yes seems like a viable option if you have a light that runs on them (probably multicell in series configs). When everything else is dark, you only need a little light.

I once tried them for fun with my 0.9-4.2V moonlight mode lights but for me a usable moonlight output draws 3-5 ma @3v while this cell is spec'd for ~0.2 ma, so it overwelms the batt in seconds. I should have a go with 3 cells in series and my 3-9V moonlight driver ;).

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
Reading this reminds me of the Zebralight SC80. It's been discontinued for a while but it could use both AA and CR123 cells, and is one of the few lights I regret not getting when I could. I always hope ZL will do an updated version but I don't think that's going to happen.

Latest posts