Your EDC Battery

FNG

Enlightened
Reading this reminds me of the Zebralight SC80. It's been discontinued for a while but it could use both AA and CR123 cells, and is one of the few lights I regret not getting when I could. I always hope ZL will do an updated version but I don't think that's going to happen.
Check out the [h=1]Streamlight 88061 ProTac 1L-1AA Dual Fuel.[/h]

Light Bringer

Newly Enlightened
I tend to use 18650s exclusively, except for the odd AAs for my Quark (2AA, and a recently-bought 1AA tube) and some 3buk lights that'll keep burning "dead" AAs forever in firefly mode.

I have enough 18650s (both protected and unprotected NMR18650Bs) to swap should the lights go out and I burn through 3/4/more of them, and some unmarked LGs/Samsungs pulled from a USB battery-pack that went mental.

I quit EDCing my Quark because "turbo" would fall off linearly as the alkie AAs would be depleted, so that at best it might only be as bright as medium or even low before I'd get disgusted enough to swap for new cells.

So I have a bevy of 18650s for bright lights, and plenty of AAs (used and new) to still power the Quark, and even more "dead" AAs that won't even power my optical mouse, but still provide decent usable moonlight from those 3buk lights I got from MicroCenter.

I have my Nitecore i4 for fast/multiple charging, as well as a 2buk slimline slow-charger from Fasttech (carry-with in my bag to charge while I'm at work, ferinstance), as well as an open-frame usb-powered charger that I can power from any USB source, whether a wall-adapter, car-adapter, whatever.

All I'd need is a solar-charger for 18650s for TEOTWAWKI and Zombie Apocalypse situations.

Don't have anything that takes 18350s/16340s/26650s/etc.

Might get some 14500s for my Quark for use with the 1AA tube, as it'll *still* take 1AA/2AA depending on which tube I use. Also got dummy cells if I need to use the 2AA tube.

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
Other than the "quality" battery that came with my ThruNite flash light I've never ran anything but laptop battery salvages In my lights I keep two spares fully charged all the time, I'm In the habit of checking the battery In my EDC about every week or two.
As for running a pair of 123s in my lights, never liked the Idea of under volting my lights with lower Mah rated cells just doesn't make sense to me.

Mkduffer

Newly Enlightened
Short answer: Depends on the lights I'm carrying. I usually EDC an AA/14500 light (Nitecore MT10a or more recently Klarus Mi7) that I use to burn through "AA batteries of questionable capacity" which seem to multiply in my junk drawer. I like that both of these allow me to check battery levels. I have one in the light, and in a spare case, I carry another one, plus a charged eneloop and a 14500, just in case. Check the charges on both the NiMH and 14500 on weekends and also rotate them into use every so often to run them down and recharge. If I'm running NiMH, I have a spare in my battery case, likewise with the 14500. The case is a small, crushproof clamshell that also holds my micro USB cable and bluetooth headsets. Yes, 2 of them. I also carry a Nitecore HC30 and headband. No spare battery for it on my person (some in my pack). Recently ordered a Skilhunt H15 so that I can use the AA/14500s in both straight and rt angle lights. On my keyring, I have a Jetbeam Mini-1, no spare. Hardly use the Mini-1, but I check it regularly and charge monthly. I have on order a few Jetbeam MK I's which I plan to EDC (so I won't be angry when the AA's leak).

I typically always have a few powerbanks in my pack to charge my cell phone and accessories. Since I have them anyway, I also carry an Xtar ANT MC1 Plus Charger that can charge most of the Li-Ion rechargeable that I carry via micro USB. My bag also has a couple of 18650 lights and a foam padded waterproof case with 6 charged 18650's that I rotate.

I use a lot of flashlights. When I get to work, it's usually dark and during the course of the work day, I often crawl around in dark corners. At home, I often illuminate by ceiling bouncing a flashlight. It's how I justify my sickness. Wife's not buying it. LOL My eldest daughter's a flashaholic too. Must be genetic.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

My stockpile of primaries.

The yellow Rayovacs are great for old lights made pre-alkaline voltage and girth as they provide a bit less of each.

Battery Stations replaced Panasonics as my 123 brand as they come from the same assembly line while costing about 25¢ less each. Buying them from Elzetta ensures a fresh batch each time.

Rayovacs are USA made and have proven to be leak free in my devices. Plus they too are made on the same assembly line as the more expensive brands.

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
For your single EDC, is your battery rechargeable or primary? Reason I ask is logistics. If you use a primary for capacity, how do you know you are fully prepared when leaving? Using the light for a few minutes will drain your battery obviously and now you are leaving the house with a less than full tank. Vs if you use an RCR, you can easily recharge it every time you us it to ensure you are at 100%. Thoughts?
I think to better answer your question I'll quote you:
Because of my choice In EDC light that takes 18650's a primary Isn't really an option that and I've been phasing out single use batteries from my life because of either low capacity(compared to rechargeables) or leakage If left In a rarely used device.
I just prefer being able to top them off If I need to and go.