Flashlight Enthusiast
Take the needle nose pliers and pull it out
Already tried, but failed
Even applied lube inside and heated the housing for 5+ minutes, still no dice

The objective is to remove the core without inflicting any surface damage
Repeated trying would scratch up the core really bad

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i would say you don't have a strong and firm pull... There's nothing holding it once screw is removed. Only thing that stops it from falling out of the tailcap is friction between plastic retiner and metal guts.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i would say you don't have a strong and firm pull... There's nothing holding it once screw is removed. Only thing that stops it from falling out of the tailcap is friction between plastic retiner and metal guts.
Which is why I'm leaving this job to the pros. Have been told only the pros have the necessary equipment and skills to remove the core without inflicting any surface damage

Same thing goes to Z41 disassembly as well (esp. when operating from the spring side where success rate is only 50/50... from my experience of course)

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man, sorry to hear that at the end.[emoji17]
It was easy for me modding all my switches Z52, Z57, Z41, SW02, Z58...
Too much of a generalization here -- every switch disassembly is different

Z52: should be easy as you've mentioned, but truth is, YMMV;

Z57/61/68: mostly easy, but the golden rule is to apply torque to the retainer ring slowly, and with an appropriate pair of nose pliers. Needle nose pliers (I mean the very sharp one) won't work and will 90+% scratch up the retainer ring bad (I've been there). For Z57/61 disassembly I also have a custom key made just for that (won't work on the Z68 due to shroud height);

SW02/Z48/Z49: wouldn't even think about it. It's doable, but again requires real torquing tools. I've sold my SW02 and Z48 beczu I know I wouldn't be able to service them myself;

Z58/59: depends on batch. Earlier batches were quite easy to open -- just get enough grip on the top cover and turn it. No special hex key necessary (but again YMMV). Newer batches however are a real PIA as the entire construction of the host has changed so the host is not a top+bottom piece combo anymore. Have never tried the newer batches so no further comment;

Z41: have done this all the time, but again, different procedure depending on unit
For some units, gripping the inner core and rotate it a few times, it (and the rivet) would gradually unscrew and come out. The subsequent Delrin retainer ring is also not hard to remove but in extreme cases, heating and freezing trick is needed.

If however the core doesn't get loose after a few spins, force may be applied to try to yank it out, but will definitely inflict more tool damage on the surface. Also takes more time than necessary. So depending on batch/unit I sometimes work from the boot side, ie. peel out the (fully lubricated) rubber boot carefully then use a pick to hammer the guts out. It's easy, but the heating and freezing trick sometimes still applies when removing the retainer ring.

forstersun

Newly Enlightened
Nothing drops out after unscrewing the hex nut. I suspect it got stuck with the retainer ring behind? If so, what should I do?

Like "id30209" said, there's nothing holding it once screw is removed, you can just push the rubber cap a little, the conductive part shoule be move a little, should be fall out. Or you can use the spring to drag it out, or use inertance to knock itself downward...

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like "id30209" said, there's nothing holding it once screw is removed, you can just push the rubber cap a little, the conductive part shoule be move a little, should be fall out. Or you can use the spring to drag it out, or use inertance to knock itself downward...

This is what I'm experiencing right now…
The first had the 2 internal metal pieces glued together. . . but no thread-lock on the jam nut.

Took the Z52 to the pro people today and even they couldn't make it. Said the top two metal pieces (the upper boot void fill and the lower core) probably got glued together (with the retainer ring sandwiched in between).

This is what I'm going to do: apply superglue debonder into the hole where the hex nut once screwed in, and let it sit for an hour or two. Then I'll use needle nose pliers and poke one side into that hole, then hammer it. Would that be good enough to separate those two metal parts?

forstersun

Newly Enlightened
This is what I'm experiencing right now…

Took the Z52 to the pro people today and even they couldn't make it. Said the top two metal pieces (the upper boot void fill and the lower core) probably got glued together (with the retainer ring sandwiched in between).

This is what I'm going to do: apply superglue debonder into the hole where the hex nut once screwed in, and let it sit for an hour or two. Then I'll use needle nose pliers and poke one side into that hole, then hammer it. Would that be good enough to separate those two metal parts?

I've had a similar situation once.

But it's not too tight, and I'm not afraid to leave scratch, so it's easy to take it out. It's true that there were imprint of glue between the top two pieces. I've disassembled lots of z52, only happened once.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a similar situation once.
But it's not too tight, and I'm not afraid to leave scratch, so it's easy to take it out. It's true that there were imprint of glue between the top two pieces. I've disassembled lots of z52, only happened once.
In my case it's simply tight. Like two pieces fused (and move) together...

The final solution (read: the missing link) is superglue debonder...
Here I applied Goof Off Super Glue & Adhesives Remover Gel (the strongest in the Goof Off product lineup), just a few drops into the screw hole, then let it sit for the rest of the night. The next day I tried again with long nose pliers and within a few wiggles the lower block was pulled out. Definitely some resistance throughout the process so I'm sure the pieces were glued. Also I notice traces of melted black glue gunk on the parts concerned...

The rest of the disassembly is easy. Now everything comes out and I'm able to install a McClicky just as usual. Problem solved.

That said, in case when a jam nut rivet is screwed in, the only way to go ahead is to peel out the boot first (apply lots of lubrication prior to doing so), then hammer out the lower block just like with the Z41. If again the two pieces get stuck then apply strong debonder (100% acetone may also work) to part them out.

Last edited: