ZebraLight H50 - impressions thread Part 2

Illum

Flashaholic
:bumpit:

right you are Norm, nice catch.

Kind of saddened by the fact that Zebralites come reflectored now....I could use another H50, mines gone AWOL :mecry:

H501w looks nice, but its a clicky over a twisty... so, have to get over the fact that there is a parasitic drain due to an electronic switch :ohgeez:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Threadus Resurrectus.

The H50 is my favorite travel Zebra. No worrying about whether you loosened the tailcap. I still have two that are going strong. One is my "podium lamp" on a gorillapod during lectures. Very handy, and you don't miss the neutral/warm on white paper notes, where it makes no difference.

Illum

Flashaholic
I know, I'm sorry... the forum threads does not default to subscriptions like it used to, without intentionally suscribing under "go advanced" I have no way to know whether I had involved myself with one thread or another. I'll keep that in mind. :twak:

yowzer

Enlightened
Ah, the good old h50, from back when ZL made floody lights. :devil:

Mine still sees use now and then.

EDIT: Like tonight. Clipped to the visor of my car, it makes a better interior light than the built in roof mount one.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Mine is in semi retirement inside an E&E bag. It does get out every now and then. I think ZL made a H50B or something like that but unfortunately they have abandoned the twisty. I wish they would bring back the simple UI and twisty of the H50 but updated for longer runtimes and output.

negri

Newly Enlightened
I've got a good system with these lights now. The H50 is my dedicated headlamp for woods bumming and mountain biking, and the H30 is my dedicated pack light. It lives on the strap of my pack. With its wider flood pattern it makes an excellent light for this duty.

Zenster

Enlightened
A thread that needs to be kept alive for ZL people to see...

I sorely miss the 120 degree floodies they used to make.
I have an H50W I bought a long time ago, and that simple yet perfectly floody light is the single reason why I, as a former mechanic and still a backyard mechanic on my own stuff, have literally thrown away every single one of my "trouble lights", also known as "drop lights".

I went back to order a spare or two recently and was very disappointed that there are no 120 degree floodies offered anymore. The perfect flood of the H50W with absolutely NO hotspot without using any kind of diffusion was the perfect "drop light" in every situation; under the hood, under the car, under the dash... you get the picture.
For those of you who have never done much work on cars, what you have had to do in the past was to lodge a drop light somewhere near where you want to work, but it was always having to be off to the side somehow.
With the single AA H50W adjusted where the bottom edge of the strap goes right across your eyebrows, it's as if the light is coming directly from your own eyes and you have light anywhere you look, plenty of it, and with virtually no shadows. A 90 degree beam just doesn't cut it when you could have a 120 degree flood of light that fills the entire area you're working on and then some (because good mechanics are always looking everywhere for problems, not just what's directly in front of their eyes).

In my mind, ZL needs to reintroduce the 120 degree, no diffuser, floody, and they should call it a "work light" so that it can take it's permanent place in the ZL headlamp lineup for generations to come. The high level of the H50w being "only" 60 lumens was even perfect for the purpose, a single AA battery for power kept it light and small, and getting more than two hours on a rechargeable battery kept it cheap to run.
In short, the H50W was the perfect drop light for mechanic work.
And then they discontinued it. What the hell were they thinking?

Anyway, enough ranting. I'm off to the Marketplace to try to find a couple of used H50's that people don't appreciate anymore.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, when you need wide illumination, nothing else will do. The Spark SD series is 115 degrees IIRC. I use my SD52 quite a bit when needing ultrawide illumination. (Its advantage is that you can also modify the beam narrower with the optional reflector bezel when you don't need the ultrawide light. Hopefully Zebralight will take the hint.)

Last edited: