ZebraLight H502 XM-L

mr_magicfingers

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone seen both the standard and the D version together? How much drop in brightness do you see in the real world? Considering getting the D version rather than wait for the W version, just wondering how much real world difference the brightness drop would make from the standard which would appear, from the figures, to be a third brighter, though I'm sure our eyes wouldn't see it as that much.

Any ideas on how bright the warm version would be?

moozooh

Enlightened
Considering getting the D version rather than wait for the W version, just wondering how much real world difference the brightness drop would make from the standard which would appear, from the figures, to be a third brighter, though I'm sure our eyes wouldn't see it as that much.

Any ideas on how bright the warm version would be?
See this post. It also shows that the 5000K Rebel is not a "third" less bright, but actually quite comparable to the XM-L on medium settings. The actual brightness difference kicks in on over-100 lm modes, but they aren't too useful aside from the wow effect and the very occasional need to light up a large room or something. Personally, I found the 72 lm mode to be the extent of my needs from a headlight, the rest I have SC600 for.

Mikellen

Enlightened
I just ordered the H502. I hope I get a white tinted one without too much coolness in the tint.

Last edited:

riccardo.dv

Newly Enlightened
I finally had my light back from zebralight. This one seems to be waterproof :p now is time to enjoy it

Tapatalk @Xperia Arc S

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally had my light back from zebralight. This one seems to be waterproof :p now is time to enjoy it

Tapatalk @Xperia Arc S

I have to admit, that was a LONG wait. What did it take from Europe to China and back -- roughly six weeks for replacement?

riccardo.dv

Newly Enlightened
I have to admit, that was a LONG wait. What did it take from Europe to China and back -- roughly six weeks for replacement?

yes, almost 6 weeks. At least i finally have a new and fully functionally h50d :) btw I've been disappointed with their customer service, it always took them a lot to reply to emails

Ezeriel

Enlightened
yes, almost 6 weeks. At least i finally have a new and fully functionally h50d :) btw I've been disappointed with their customer service, it always took them a lot to reply to emails

6 weeks... and people called me out for using superglue to seal mine...

mr_magicfingers

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, useful information. Looks likes the D version would be worth getting rather than waiting for the warm. Now to save pennies.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Still smarting about that...?

Returning to the mfg is essentially holding their feet to the fire. Which if you ask me, is what needs to be done.

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm still waiting for one and it's been two weeks. Mind you, it seems stuck at Shanghai international since the 3rd. I should have paid more for shipping.

nullface

Newly Enlightened
I have a problem with my H502d. I't wont run on high for more than a few seconds then, then it switches through alle three levels on it's own and stops either on medium or low.

Am I retadede or do I have a rogue light?

mr_magicfingers

Newly Enlightened
Well my 502(D) arrived today and I've been staying on my night shift hours overnight while at home. Kept the lights turned off and been using it all night, what a fantastic little light it is. I've never had a flood light before and it's a real revelation. I also love the way it feels like pure quality when you first take it out of the box, really well machined.

I'm having a bit of an issue with figuring out the different levels and modes but I'm sure that's just a case of practice, but what I really want to be able to do is just turn it on easily to the middle setting without it being on high.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
when it's off

1 quick click for high
double click for medium
3 quick clicks for low

or

hold the button down and it will cycle low, medium, high

once on a level (low med hi) double click many times (6) and eventually you will start toggling between your second level options...

like.. when on high, Level-1 is 260 lumens (can't change that) but if you double click, one time, you can switch back and forth to Level-2

keep switching back and forth from level-1 to 2 and after 6 or so times you will start to toggle between level-2's different settings

level-2 can be 100 lumens, 160 lumens(from memory, could be wrong here), and a strobe... set it on the level you want and 1 quick click to turn the light off

from now on, when you switch to (high) level-2, it will be at whatever you set it to

level-2 has multiple brightness levels at each level (hi med low), and once set the light will remember that setting until you change it

....hope that made sense

tony613

Newly Enlightened
but what I really want to be able to do is just turn it on easily to the middle setting without it being on high.

Hey mr_magicfingers,

Apologies if you already know this but just in case...

Very simply, click and hold the button down for a little more than one second. That's it. Release the button and the light will stay in the middle mode.

Clicking and holding the button down will turn the light on in low, then advance to medium, then advance to high, then return to low, medium, high, etc. Remember that you can select the brightness levels for low, medium, and high and the light will save your choice.

Sorry if this was already obvious to you. If so, it may help a newcomer somewhere down the road.

Last edited:

ix37

Newly Enlightened
I've been considering the h502c for use around a campsite. I saw it mentioned that because the light is so floody, most anyone looking at your face will have direct exposure to the light. In order not to be uncomfortable for them, I assume the light must be kept fairly dim. Has anyone experienced this? If so, could you comment on how useable the light was given not wanting to discomfort those around you?

wuyeah

Enlightened
We are about to reach 3/4 of 2012. Where is H502w!? Still no output date update? WTF....
Why not just correct it to 2013 and put outta this misery.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are about to reach 3/4 of 2012. Where is H502w!? Still no output date update? WTF....
Why not just correct it to 2013 and put outta this misery.

That's the one I've been waiting for, too. I bought the H502 as a gift for someone else, but tested it somewhat extensively before sending it along to the recipient. I truly wanted to make sure it was not misbehaving in any way before making a gift of it (did NOT want to leave a bad impression on the recipient, who is also a client of mine). But yeah...where is the H502w?

Guesses at this point might include getting the emitters they want...and perhaps the addressing of things like waterproofing, which seems to have been a problem with random copies of other H502 versions. I dunno.

mr_magicfingers

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies above about the switching options, very useful. Been using it constantly for the past couple of nights and will write a more detailed opinion when I have a bit of time. So far, it's very impressive, ideal for my applications and lots of colleagues have been asking where to get one from.

moozooh

Enlightened
H502w has been dropped from the model list. It also says all 'w' XM-L models are out of stock. This may have been the reason for the long wait; must be a supply problem.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
H502w has been dropped from the model list. It also says all 'w' XM-L models are out of stock. This may have been the reason for the long wait; must be a supply problem.

Yeah, but what's a little alarming is that the H502w has been completely removed from the list of future lights! That's gotta be a mistake. They'd surely make the "w" when the LED's become available....too many of us want one. I wonder what's going on with the neutral tint XML's.