Zebralight H503w, H503c owners - green ring around beam?

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes 0.4 lm can sometimes be too much but 0.013 maybe it's too low to be practical, I did some tests with the old H502 XM-L (ultralow = 0.01 lm) and those low levels are more to find the torch in the dark, to read what is written on a box I must approach the torch almost in contact.

Keep in mind that this type of light does not have a reflector, the light is very diffused and therefore a very low value appears in a different way than perhaps an H53w with the same light output .
I think if you are looking for ultralow that is practical you'll be better with the L3 level (0.07 lumens)

NuisanceValue

Newly Enlightened
tcglog please let me know your thoughts on the H503w when you get it, it sounds as if you're going to be using it for similar things to me.

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
@Stefano

Hmm you are probably right. I have no experience in using any mule light ever before and assume that a moonlight mode would seem dimmer than with a reflector light having the same lumens. So the H604 series 0.07 or 0.08lm probably would be low enough. The size factor remains though :thinking: I hope the max brightness with the H503's is enough for e.g. searching for something indoors.

@NuisanceValue

Yep I will report back here
:thumbsup: Haven't ordered anything yet.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the max brightness with the H503's is enough for e.g. searching for something indoors..

Yes, at home or in a closed shed it lights up comfortably even without using high levels.
65 or 122 lumens will be more than enough even in large rooms.
Only problem with the AA version you have to change the battery often

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
Yes, at home or in a closed shed it lights up comfortably even without using high levels.
65 or 122 lumens will be more than enough even in large rooms.
Only problem with the AA version you have to change the battery often

Okey that sounds great! I knew the lumens would be enought in a wizard-like beam but wasn't sure since it's a mule and the beam is much wider. But yeah good to hear it should be enough.

With the current 18650-light I very seldom charge it and very seldom use the higher modes. That's what made me think of a smaller form factor. But we shall see :) I'll report back here how it turns out.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure you will like it.
This type of headlamp should not be missing in the wardrobe of a flashaholics, if you are conquered by the type of beam you could also decide in the future to buy the 18650 version.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
The very lowest level, and the next to lowest level for that matter are both good for leaving on all night, light is easy to find immediately.
Especially useful when sleeping in an unfamiliar place.

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
Stefano said:
I am sure you will like it.
This type of headlamp should not be missing in the wardrobe of a flashaholics, if you are conquered by the type of beam you could also decide in the future to buy the 18650 version.

Yeah I think it was about time to order a mule. These days I use my headlamp more than my multiple flashlights, and mostly indoors. I might very well need to get one of the H600 series in the future, I have a big pile of 18650's :)

eh4 said:
The very lowest level, and the next to lowest level for that matter are both good for leaving on all night, light is easy to find immediately.
Especially useful when sleeping in an unfamiliar place.
That's great since my wife often leaves on our Tip cri for the night. It has a moonlight mode of 1lm so it has to be partly covered with a pillow. This one shouldn't have that problem!

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
Ok so I got the H503w today. Still figuring out what modes to include on G7 and don't have a lot of experience yet. There is a discoloration at the edge, but to me it looks more yellow than green, and I'm not sure if it is as bad as with the H503c. Hard to say since I don't have that light here to compare to. I took a few photos but it turns out it doesn't show on camera very well. Here is the best image showing the edge color: https://imgur.com/a/oXgpGgz
NuisanceValue what do you think compared to your H503c?

NuisanceValue

Newly Enlightened
Gosh, it's a bit hard to tell from just one photo. It looks similar, but more yellow than the h503c vile green, so I'd say it looks better.

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
Yes I think it's the construction of the light / optics that makes the discoloration edge and the properties of the led determine the exact color.. I have yet to decide whether it bothers me or not. I don't think so. I like the fact that I can freely program all modes as I want and make moonlight come on from a single click. I like warm whites and this looks completely neutral white to me so could be a bit warmer. But I really enjoy the mule beam! Makes close-up work a blast!

NuisanceValue

Newly Enlightened
So I had a look at both my lights from a similar angle to that shown in your photo and my conclusion is:

1. The H502d has a very thin green edge that I've never noticed in normal use.
2. The H503c has a broad vile green edge that bothers me indoors and any time my hand or anything white is lit up by it. (But overall it looks great outdoors, the high CRI is brilliant)

Hope you like the H503w - I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have liked the H503c for indoor use.

NuisanceValue

Newly Enlightened
And yes, the new UI is great - I wish my h502d had it - I've blasted myself with a couple of hundred lumens when half asleep before now when I've mistimed the long click!

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
So I had a look at both my lights from a similar angle to that shown in your photo and my conclusion is:

1. The H502d has a very thin green edge that I've never noticed in normal use.
2. The H503c has a broad vile green edge that bothers me indoors and any time my hand or anything white is lit up by it. (But overall it looks great outdoors, the high CRI is brilliant)

Hope you like the H503w - I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have liked the H503c for indoor use.

Glad you say that! I was kinda thinking whether I should have gone for the H503c for warmer tint after all but maybe the vile green is more distracting than the yellowish edge. Would probably have gone for the H502c if it only had the customizable UI.

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
And yes, the new UI is great - I wish my h502d had it - I've blasted myself with a couple of hundred lumens when half asleep before now when I've mistimed the long click!

Yes that is exactly why I want it this way. I placed moonlights on H1 and H2 to be accessed with single click. Then low-medium modes on L1 and L2 to come on first when I press and hold. Finally medium - high modes on M1 and M2 to come on last after press and hold.

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
NuisanceValue still wanted to ask regarding your H503c, how low is the lowest moonlight mode? Is it equal to the H502d which is 0.01lm? Thanks!

NuisanceValue

Newly Enlightened
Good question- I'll check later. I don't tend to use the lowest low as from memory it's too low to illuminate anything unless it's virtually touching it...

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I appreciate it! :) Yes the second lowest is probably more useful, even with nightvision.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question- I'll check later. I don't tend to use the lowest low as from memory it's too low to illuminate anything unless it's virtually touching it...

In fact I think the same thing, L4 level is useful only as a signal, to see something you need to use L3 or L2