Zebralight H600/H604/H600F MKIV headlamp

3rdhvn

Newly Enlightened
I read and reread this and a couple other zebralight threads. Not knowing what to buy. I bought the h600fw mk4 and h600fc mk4 off of amazon and I've had a couple days to play with them. I'll be sending back my least favorite one.
I'm a newbie, these are my first 18650 lights. So I figure I'll contribute my observations.FWIW
My sony vtc6's with my extra wrap fit nicely into these headlamps:D They are my vape batteries.

There is a noticable flickering I think you guys call it "ringing". It seems more obvious on the Fc than the Fw. The longest time I've observed it was about 4 seconds when the light is dimming from H1. This doesn't bother me, as long as it doesn't get worse.

I've ran it pretty hard H1 till it dims down and turning it off quickly and back on to high till it dims down. My spring never got hot (I'm not insinuating that anyone else's didn't). I Did test the side of the light with my cheap infared thermometer and the hottest I measured was 60degrees Celsius. The battery tested about 38 Celsius at the positive end.

Light comes through the button on the fc but not the fw.

More random statements:huh:

Darn, I was hoping they would be alittle brighter.

The Fw throws further outside, but has a more defined hotspot which could be annoying with close work.

The color of the Fc is preferable everywhere except snow covered ground, although that's no biggy.

I think the Fc will meet all my needs...basement work, attic, car, working late outside as a carpenter. The one place I'm not thrilled with it, is the woods with it's lack of throw. But I guess there has to be a compromise somewhere.
I'm gonna try to take them out into the woods one more time before I have to make a decision.

Fespe

Newly Enlightened
I'm gonna try to take them out into the woods one more time before I have to make a decision.

Could you take a picture to do a comparison beamshot if it's not much trouble? I would really appreciate it :)

Fespe

Newly Enlightened
I'll see if I can get some useful pictures.

Thank you very much! I'm from Italy and I buy the ZL from nkon, but right now they are all out of stock except for the fc and fd.
Now...since I would use the light mostly in the woods for hiking I would have prefer the fw for the more brightness. So I'm undecided if waiting for nkon to restock the fw or go with the fc.

niraya

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much! I'm from Italy and I buy the ZL from nkon, but right now they are all out of stock except for the fc and fd.
Now...since I would use the light mostly in the woods for hiking I would have prefer the fw for the more brightness. So I'm undecided if waiting for nkon to restock the fw or go with the fc.
H600Fd/c Mk IV 18650 with XHP50.2 IS actually brighter than H600Fw Mk IV 18650 with XHP35. :cool:

Fespe

Newly Enlightened
H600Fd/c Mk IV 18650 with XHP50.2 IS actually brighter than H600Fw Mk IV 18650 with XHP35. :cool:

Ok, but in terms of how the light would perform in the woods (in this case for me to illuminate better or see further when walking) the fw is it better or not? Of course with both headlamp at the same lumen.

Last edited:

NPL

Enlightened
The purpose of the H600f series is to use for close and mid-range distances. The difference between fw and FC for throw might be noticeable side by side, but insignificant if throw is most important for you. If you prefer throw, and don't mind 80 CRI, I would definitely recommend the H600w instead. It will throw significantly further, but still have a useful spill, and you can put DC fix film on the lens for the times you want an Fw kind of beam.

Fespe

Newly Enlightened
The purpose of the H600f series is to use for close and mid-range distances. The difference between fw and FC for throw might be noticeable side by side, but insignificant if throw is most important for you. If you prefer throw, and don't mind 80 CRI, I would definitely recommend the H600w instead. It will throw significantly further, but still have a useful spill, and you can put DC fix film on the lens for the times you want an Fw kind of beam.

thanks! I'm going mad deciding between H600w and H600fw!! For sure I need and like throw, but I wouldn't mind better light where my feet are.
I read a lot, and like you said many people suggest the h600w! And if you need more flood you can put the tape on the lens.
I think I should buy both model and then keep what I like and is best for me!!😁

niraya

Newly Enlightened

H600Fd/c Mk IV 18650 with XHP50.2 IS actually brighter than H600Fw Mk IV 18650 with XHP35.

Ok, but in terms of how the light would perform in the woods (in this case for me to illuminate better or see further when walking) the fw is it better or not? Of course with both headlamp at the same lumen.
Lumen is measure of total quantity of VISIBLE light. Fc/d & Fw at same lumen = same luminous flux = same perceived brightness. At same lumen difference will be in color range (high CRI),not in brightnes and slight difference in throw due to emitter size.

Last edited:

Fespe

Newly Enlightened

Yes...I look at this page everyday!!
Right now I could buy only the fc or fd (or the h600 cool white, but I don't want that tint) because they are the only one available on nkon.
The picture are great and give you an idea of the beam, but till I don't have it on my head and test it I can't say if the throw of the h600fw would be enough for me or I would need more.
I think that I'm going to wait for the restock and then choose between h600w or fw. Right now I'm more inclined to the h600w, but I have time to think about it!! Because I sent an email to nkon asking when the headlamp would be available again, and they said that they already contacted zebralight for a restock and said that zebralight usually take weeks or a few month to send the headlamp.......

niraya

Newly Enlightened
Yes...I look at this page everyday!!
Right now I could buy only the fc or fd (or the h600 cool white, but I don't want that tint) because they are the only one available on nkon.
The picture are great and give you an idea of the beam, but till I don't have it on my head and test it I can't say if the throw of the h600fw would be enough for me or I would need more.
I think that I'm going to wait for the restock and then choose between h600w or fw. Right now I'm more inclined to the h600w, but I have time to think about it!! Because I sent an email to nkon asking when the headlamp would be available again, and they said that they already contacted zebralight for a restock and said that zebralight usually take weeks or a few month to send the headlamp.......

I have/had H600fd, H600fc, H600fw as well as h600w

I use them indoor and outdoor and IMHO H600w is least usefull as headlamp of the four.
If I can only keep one it will be definitively H600fd .

If I should rank them from best to worst for all combined indoor/outdoor uses it will be:

1. H600fd
2. H600fc
3. H600fw
4. H600w

Fespe

Newly Enlightened
I have/had H600fd, H600fc, H600fw as well as h600w

I use them indoor and outdoor and IMHO H600w is least usefull as headlamp of the four.
If I can only keep one it will be definitively H600fd .

If I should rank them from best to worst for all combined indoor/outdoor uses it will be:

1. H600fd
2. H600fc
3. H600fw
4. H600w

Thanks! Could you tell me the big difference in tint between the fw and fd?

niraya

Newly Enlightened
Tint is different from sample to sample.
fd tint deviation is 3 step vs 5 step in fw - so chance is that your sample of fd will be closer to BBL than random sample of fw
fw is warmer CCT - 4500 vs 5000
fd is much higher CRI - 90-93 vs 80 - colors look more natural in fd light - especially red, brown, orange, ...
fd is newer, brighter, more efficient, in many ways improved emitter - xhp50.2 vs xhp35
details see here:
http://www.cree.com/led-components/products/xlamp-leds-arrays/xlamp-xhp50-2
http://www.cree.com/led-components/products/xlamp-leds-discrete/xlamp-xhp35

If your area is forest I would definitively go for fc/d rather than fw

It is cheaper from http://www.zebralight.com than https://eu.nkon.nl/ (all h600x mkiv cost same there, unlike at nkon). And to Europe they will mark it under 22EUR VAT limit, if you ask them. :twothumbs

Last edited:

Fespe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!! Now it's more clear the cri subject!
I choose nkon only cuz I thought in case I need to send the light back maybe it would cost me less money and the shipment process seems better for Europe. And the price if you buy from zebralight with the tracking it's similar, if I'm not wrong.

They said this on international shipments

International Shipping
Packages are sent via China Registered Air Mail. Delivery time varies from 10 days to several months depending on customs and local delivery conditions. International orders are guaranteed to be shipped, but delivery cannot be guaranteed due to varying international conditions. Unquote

So I don't know if it's secure or not, whereas nkon it's perfect!! I bought 2 light from them and shipment and customers service it was great!

niraya

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!! Now it's more clear the cri subject!
I choose nkon only cuz I thought in case I need to send the light back maybe it would cost me less money and the shipment process seems better for Europe. And the price if you buy from zebralight with the tracking it's similar, if I'm not wrong.

They said this on international shipments

International Shipping
Packages are sent via China Registered Air Mail. Delivery time varies from 10 days to several months depending on customs and local delivery conditions. International orders are guaranteed to be shipped, but delivery cannot be guaranteed due to varying international conditions. Unquote

So I don't know if it's secure or not, whereas nkon it's perfect!! I bought 2 light from them and shipment and customers service it was great!

I bought some armytek lights and many batteries from nkon few times. I agree nkon is excellent - two days shipping.
From Zebralight tracked shipping from China to Europe was always free for my orders, but took longer - 1-3 weeks (depends on stock). But I do not ever need any flashlight urgently.:popcorn:

Fespe

Newly Enlightened
You are right, the shipment from China is free but if you want tracking it's not.

mighty82

Enlightened
I have taken som current draw measurements from my h600fc mkiv if anyone is interested.

I measured the 6 highest settings (of 12 total). Battery was a ncr18650b at about 4.1v

12. 1568lm. 5300ma
11. 980lm. 2700ma
10. 562lm. 1270ma
9. 296lm. 550ma
8. 143lm. 230ma
7. 63lm. 110ma