Zebralight H600/H604/H600F MKIV headlamp

niraya

Newly Enlightened
You are right, the shipment from China is free but if you want tracking it's not.

I ordered two headlamps one month ago from zebralight.com (each $89.00) - both shipped by airmail China Post with tracking - free shipping - took two weeks to Europe from Shanghai.

Last edited:

evgeniy

Newly Enlightened
I also ordered few headlamps and flashlights (latest - last week) from ZebraLight.com , all with "airmail China Post with tracking - free shipping", all parcels was perfectly tracked, typical time from China to Europe (Ukraine) - 3-4 weeks.

phips

Newly Enlightened
You do get tracking with the free shipping but the package can take a looooong time getting to Europe.

Order placed: 11.12.2017
Order shipped: 02.02.2018
Still in the mail as of: 17.03.2018

Thank you mighty for the amperage measurements!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have taken som current draw measurements from my h600fc mkiv if anyone is interested.

I measured the 6 highest settings (of 12 total). Battery was a ncr18650b at about 4.1v

12. 1568lm. 5300ma
11. 980lm. 2700ma
10. 562lm. 1270ma
9. 296lm. 550ma
8. 143lm. 230ma
7. 63lm. 110ma

That's interesting to see roughly doubling amps for doubled lumens, right up till the highest setting where doubling amps adds around 50%...
good place to call it quits.

mighty82

Enlightened
Yes. In the highest 1568 lm mode it gets burning hot ridiculously fast, and will drop rapidly in output. I have programmed 980 lm as the highest setting myself. The visible difference is minor and not worth the downsides imo.

Btw, the 980 lumen mode on this light draws significantly less juice than the 970lm mode on my older h600fw mkii. 2700ma vs 3600ma :twothumbs

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a nice improvement, should give something like 25% more runtime? Maybe more than that since the battery isn't being taxed so greatly.
My H600w MK II tops out around 900 lumens, and it gets hot quickly.

Last edited:

RavenTai

Newly Enlightened
I need a new headlamp, I gather the Zebralight is well liked, having a hard time deciding between the H604c and H600FC MKIV,

I need it for primarily arms length work, I am an aircraft electrician, I need to read tiny wire markings and tiny pin locations with old eyes in an unlit area, I assume I want the higher CRI of the cree xhp50.2, and I don't think I want spot/spill but I am uncertain if I want full flood of the 604C or the middle ground "floody" of the FC IV

My current headlamp is a cheap hunk from a big box store, the tiny hot spot poor color and low output are killing me. that and the broken tilt mechanism that is set to fixed position with tape. :shakehead

Keitho

Enlightened
My personal preference is for pure flood, for close-in situational awareness and a completely even cast of light. But, many (most?) will probably disagree with me, most likely due to some combination of:
- hard not to blind other people unintentionally
- hard not to distract yourself with a brightly-lit nose/hat/feet
- less useful beyond 6'
- need a higher setting (quicker cell drain) for most tasks

Those are all good points. I'm a bit infatuated with the pure flood, warm, high CRI beam of ZL, but I know it isn't for everyone.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get the 604c or 604d, it's going to be excellent for your work, but you might like it so much that you're disappointed that it's so specialized and lacks range for using it as more than just a work light.
I've got the older 602w (MK II) pure flood model as well as the 600Fw MK II and 600w MKII, and if I could only have one it would be the Fw, but the 602 pure flood lives in my tool bag and is the only one that I use for hours on end with the head strap, it can't be beat for arms length, attics, cellars, crawl spaces, etc.
The regular 600 spot & spill is technically the most versatile with the greatest range, but it's more of a regular flashlight with a 90 degree bend, when used as a headlamp, many complain of the "dancing ball" effect from the fairly wide hot spot, and would argue that you're better off with a hand held light with a tighter hotspot instead, to complement a floodier headlamp, like the 600F.

To recap, if you get the F (floody) version it'll be so much better than what you're used to that you'll be head over heels. If you get the 604 it'll be Even Better for your work, but you'll end up buying another Zebralight because you'll want that kind of quality with more range.
The F model with a pocket clip makes a great all purpose, 24/7 carry light, save time and get both.

Last edited:

RavenTai

Newly Enlightened
Kietho & eh4, thank you for helping me decide, I went ahead and ordered the 604c.

I just started a new gig and these guys are doing heavy mods, full shifts using a headlamp to read sub millimeter markings, rarely further than 3' much less 6'. my current lamp has a hot spot and at that range it is only a few inches wide, annoying driving my head to the often uncomfortable spot to get the light where I need it. for that amount of use I don't mind the right dedicated tool. battery life is somewhat of a concern, you are right illuminating a bigger area will take more power to get to the same light level on the target bit, but I vape and already have a small fleet of 18650's with me. already have a 4 bay charger etc. just toss a couple more in the lunch bag.

for through I have a small handheld streamlight, its a few generations back and will get replaced soon but its Ok for now. when the flashlight fund refills I will be looking for an upgrade.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
RavenTai,

I'm a huge fan of the floody H600Fc for an all-purpose light, and will likely never get a pure-flood like the H604. Whenever I need pure-flood, I roll a latex finger cot (or cut out the finger tip of a latex glove) and roll it over my H600Fc or H53c. It produces fantastic flood and should keep your light clean when working in dirt or barbecuing. Only drawback is having to explain to your coworkers and friends why you have a condom on your light :grin2:

Just my $0.02

B7PuJT6.jpg

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kietho & eh4, thank you for helping me decide, I went ahead and ordered the 604c.

I just started a new gig and these guys are doing heavy mods, full shifts using a headlamp to read sub millimeter markings, rarely further than 3' much less 6'. my current lamp has a hot spot and at that range it is only a few inches wide, annoying driving my head to the often uncomfortable spot to get the light where I need it. for that amount of use I don't mind the right dedicated tool. battery life is somewhat of a concern, you are right illuminating a bigger area will take more power to get to the same light level on the target bit, but I vape and already have a small fleet of 18650's with me. already have a 4 bay charger etc. just toss a couple more in the lunch bag.

It sounds like the H604c would be the best for your application. I have the H600fc and within arms reach, I sometimes am bothered by the hotspot (yes, the hotspot is huge and blended but to me it is still noticeable)
I think as a general usage (one headlamp) the "F" is better, especially outdoors. However, indoors considering you have a bunch of 18650s at hand, the 604 is much more useful.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would really like to see a more permanent version of the finger cot trick, a rigid diffuser that grabbed onto both sides of the light with little teeth to catch the heat fin slots for instance.
It would be about the size of a quarter and maybe 5-6 mm thick at the teeth, something that would stay on the light until pried off with finger pressure and stored in the watch pocket of jeans.

As for the greater battery usage of the 604c due to no focus, you're still likely to get multiple shifts out of a cell. I don't do much fine reading with mine but I can see really well at arms length with the M1 setting (~60 lumens for 602w), for around 30 hours of runtime... I always swap batteries before they expire so I can't really say how long, but with periodic brief switching to H2 and H1, mainly using M1, you can get two or three 8 hour days on a battery without full discharge.

Last edited:

RavenTai

Newly Enlightened
I actually had a cheap head lamp, Energizer? Rayovac? with a built in difuser years ago, its was a single AA, the main light was a tight spot beam with surprisingly good optics and range, a little plastic difuser could be rotated into place for close up, battery life was crap, 1 hr ? maybe 2? it was all plastic and cheaply built, but the design for the duration it worked was very nice until the plastice difuser got broken off.

I wonder if a manufacturer could build in a difuser into the light where it slides into place over the led and under the glass, possibly magnetic linkage to an outside control, that way it is always with the light and protected inside and does not introduce a moisture ingress point.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
eh4: I made a few prototypes with a friend's 3D printer but unfortunately the quality was rather poor - some HDPE woulda been nice. I ultimately gave up since I switched to DC-fix with my H53c for a more in-between beam. I even recently sanded the DC-fix for a bit more flood. The finger cots still get use once in a while though.

RavenTai: I've dreamt of a lens with a magnetic ring around it that you could pop on and take off your fingernail. If the ZL bezels were like the ArmyTek Wizard's, it would work excellently.

RavenTai

Newly Enlightened

OK I was reading here about long shipping from China and also Zebralight was ( and still is ) listing a 4 week lead time on the H604C, I placed my order on the third, expecting to see it in a month or three, to my surprise I got a shipping notification the fourth that it had shipped out of Texas. it got here in Florida the 7th just before I had to leave for work. :)

So you guys were spot on, the full flood of the H604c is awesome for arms length work beautiful smooth distortion free light. wire markings that were seriously testing my vision abilities the day before were plain as day with the H604C

It ran all night on one cell, probably about 6 hours actual run time on medium high, after you take out breaks, tool room, paperwork etc from an 8hr shift, charger showed there was still some life left in the battery when I got home.

You guys were also correct full flood is pretty useless for anything else I walked the dog with it when I got home just to try it out, we live on wooded acreage, I could navigate and see the ground directly in font of me well but with the full flood the illumination spreads out very quickly with distance, If that were that my use for it I would be unhappy. defiantly a single purpose tool. one I need for the majority of my workweek so that's OK.

The two high modes are too bright and the flashlight heats up almost instantly, the two medium modes are perfect and the light runs just above ambient, 95 degrees F maybe? and the two low modes are not useful for work, possibly navigating in a dark bedroom without waking the wife?

I got the "C" 4,000K as I find if lights are too blue it makes for eye strain after a few hours, but my C is actually pretty cream/butter color almost halogen (but not quite) in color. makes me wonder if I could have got away with the "D" 5,000K the warm color is easy on the eyes but noticeably warm. I was hoping for closer to neutral white, or maybe just on the warm side of it.

it weighs about as much as my previous bulky plastic headlamp but since it is more compact and its center of gravity is closer to my head it feels lighter, there is less leverage twisting it, also being compact it also makes it easier to maneuver in tight compartments, my other light was constantly bumping into things. the head strap is wide and comfy, very nice

I thought the offset from center-line would be an annoyance but its actually a feature, I put it on the right as I am right eye dominant and I get a lot fewer problems with shadows from foreground obstructions as the light is closer to my eye.

The full flood gets a glow in the dark bezel around the emitter instead of a reflector, it glows brightly green after you tun it off, but unfortunately it does not last long, coming back from a "15min" coffee break you still gotta find it the old fashion way.

I vibropened my name in the battery tube, It was the first vibration test works perfectly fine afterwards.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the follow up. You can also play with the levels on medium and high and see if anything else works better for you.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Follow-ups like this really add to the fun and make the forum rewarding.
I've never thought about the dominant eye aspect, I'm going to look into this, thanks.