Zebralight H600/H604/H600F MKIV headlamp

Glock27

Enlightened
Weird that status quickly reverted back to "4 weeks lead time". I was surprised when it showed in stock and quickly ordered.

Order status changed to Shipped! Accepted at USPS Origin Facility April 12, 2018 - 10:34 pm

G27

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to know more about their manufacture process, it seems like they're coming out in batches.
Tech changes so quickly now, many of my assumptions about how mass production works are probably wrong.
It would be neat if each of these out of stock / pre-order cycles went along with any necessary small design and component sourcing tweaks...

They design and test the light, manufacture a batch, sell, hear back about issues, tweak design, replace warrantied lights from next retuned batch...

If they just soldered some resistors in, potted them and called it good, they wouldn't even need a warrantee department, and they wouldn't be Zebralight.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
To any potential H600FC MK4 buyers, I am selling two new-open boxed ones for $80 shipped each! You can benefit off my tint snobbery. The two for sale were tested to have tints almost indistinguishable from the one I kept, so no one should worry about potential bad tints. The listing is currently in the classifieds-- pm for info.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the a big beam difference between the H600fc mk 3 and 4 versions? like spread/distance/tint

I just bought a Mk 3 but with the led upgrade, I am tempted to get the mk 4.

Bucklight

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried to use the pogo-pin tail cap from one of the newer Zebralights on their headlamp? Unfortunately I don't own any headlamps (yet) to try it. I wonder if Zebralight will change over to the pogo pins on the headlamps due to the tail-spring current problem?

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the a big beam difference between the H600fc mk 3 and 4 versions? like spread/distance/tint

I just bought a Mk 3 but with the led upgrade, I am tempted to get the mk 4.

Beam pattern and tints should be very similar if not same. Difference will be output on H1, and slightly higher CRI numbers. Slightly higher CRI will be a very subtle thing compared to tint differences.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally ordered my first ZL headlamp: H604c with XHP 50.2 and 4000K emitter.

I use my headlamp for hobby work typically at ranges of less than 2 meters. I hope this is a nice upgrade from the $10 aspheric headlamp I've used for the last several years (cheapie with a quick and dirty mod consisting of an emitter swap to CREE XML2 5A2 and a generic 3-mode 1.5 amp Nanjg 105C 4x7135 driver). I would have kept using the cheapie, but the elastic in the band wore out and that model is no longer available to get a replacement.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fireclaw18, you're getting a light that is so good, you might well forget that you have a light on your head.
I forget about my MK II all the time when using it for extended periods of time.
The biggest downside of these reflectorless lights, aside from their limited range, is that you can't really look to one side of someone and spare them most of the glare. If you can see their eyes, you're blasting them.

Holding down the switch to get to Low and tipping the light down when talking to someone is an easy habit though, besides you'll look all Sci-Fi and badass with the down facing low flood, and your effortless light management will make them inclined to think that you're extremely competent in untold other mysterious arts as well... or that you're a light geek. ;-)

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fireclaw18, you're getting a light that is so good, you might well forget that you have a light on your head.
I forget about my MK II all the time when using it for extended periods of time.
The biggest downside of these reflectorless lights, aside from their limited range, is that you can't really look to one side of someone and spare them most of the glare. If you can see their eyes, you're blasting them.

Holding down the switch to get to Low and tipping the light down when talking to someone is an easy habit though, besides you'll look all Sci-Fi and badass with the down facing low flood, and your effortless light management will make them inclined to think that you're extremely competent in untold other mysterious arts as well... or that you're a light geek. ;-)
Looking forward to getting it.

I've been collecting flashlights for many years. I own dozens of flashlights and have modded a lot of them ... some with fairly ambitious mods (such as converting a 1xCR123 Sunwayman C10R into a triple XPL HI light powered by 1x18500).

But in all that time, I've only ever owned the one headlight. It was a $10 headlamp with aspheric zoom lens and runs off 1x18650. When I got the light I replaced the emitter with an XML2 5A2 on copper Noctigon and the driver with a 3-mode 1.5 amp driver.

This was a super-fast and sloppy mod. I didn't upgrade the thin driver wires. Not even sure I bothered to put AS5 thermal grease under the star. Yet despite the lack of time I put into this light it is actually my most used light... by far. It's the only light I own that I routinely run until it dims from the battery running too low. Usually I kept the aspheric zoom in flood mode for up-close work. Occasionally I would narrow the beam a bit if I needed more light on target. If I wanted max flood, I'd unscrew and remove the lens and just have the bare LED.

Unfortunately, the elastic in the headband on this cheapie wore out. And surprisingly the light is no longer available. 5 years ago generic cheapies that looked like my modded light were everywhere. Now they aren't available from anywhere. I've been using it with a Zebralight headband installed as a replacement. But it's not a great solution as my cheapie light is a bit bigger than the Zebra. The result is it works, but the band is too tight so can't easily tilt the light up and down.

Since I use my headlamp so much I decided it was time to get a "real" headlamp. I'm also quite impressed with my last two Zebralight flashlights (SC64w and SC600w IV Plus).

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fireclaw18, when is that thing supposed to arrive?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tried out my H604C last night.

Very impressive
. As expected for a mule configuration I got an enormous wall of light with no visible hotspot and no throw. The 4000K color temperature looked great and the tint did not appear greenish at all. Having high-CRI for a light that I use for hobby projects and artwork is great.

Compared to my old modded $10 cheapie headlight
(aspheric zoomie with 4000K XML2 5A2 and generic 3-mode 1.5 amp Nanjg 105C driver):
* The intensity of the Zebra's output at max turbo looked similar to the cheapie at full power. Except the cheapie's output was in a small circle, while the Zebra's was a gigantic wall of light and had better color rendering.
* The Zebra is significantly smaller and lighter and feels much more comfortable on the head.
* The cheapie is not affected by heat and can maintain full brightness as long as the battery holds out. The temp sensor in the Zebra will cause the high settings to ramp down.
* However, even with the rampdown, I still found the Zebra excellent for my needs. Much superior to the cheapie.

Also, none of the potential concerns I turned out to be problems
:

* No Glare on reading glasses. With the wide angle beam and light source close to the head I was concerned that I might get glare on the reading glasses I sometimes use when doing fine-detail hobby work. Fortunately, in testing this was not the case. Tilting the light up enough works to get plenty of light on the target without the beam hitting the glasses.

* Not green. Having read the posts about the SC64C, I was concerned that the 604C might have an ugly greenish tint. Fortunately, this was not the case.

* Temp rampdown not too aggressive. I knew that this light would have rampdown. I was concerned because unlike with my EDC, I tend to use my headlamp for long periods of time. Sometimes an hour or more without turning it off. I worried that the rampdown combined with mule setup might result in too little light on my project after a few minutes. This also turned out not to be the case.

I like this light
. It would be wonderful if they came out with an SC600c IV Plus that uses the same LED. The tint looks much better than my SC600w IV Plus.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, Cool. Thanks for the good feedback.
I wish they'd go ahead and post runtimes for their levels.
I'm getting closer to getting one of these MK IV, probably have to take my own advice and get the flood and floody both.
Although the MK II warm flood and floody are both serving well, that 4000K high CRI and greater efficiency sounds really appealing, and the programmability is extra icing.
After having the MK II's for several years now, it'll be odd relegating them to spares, having great spares to lend out is half the fun though.

aZhu

Newly Enlightened
H600FcMkIV.jpg

Bucklight

Newly Enlightened
I received my first Zebralight headlamp yesterday, the H600Fc. I love the quality of light and the beam spread, but I have a few issues that make the light less than perfect:

1. The clip on it is not nearly as nice or practical as the one that comes with my
SC600w IV Plus. The clip has a little ledge where is stands proud of the body of the light. It prevents my pants from going all the way to the end of the clip. Also on the ring of the light, it flairs out at the ends which is total unnecessary and creates an annoying bump. And finally, only one set of grooves in the light are flat where the clip fits well, the other grooves are rounded. The clip doesn't fit as well in those.

2. The rubber button is actually higher than the silver metal surrounding the button. It makes it more likely to turn on the light by accident and it also prevents the light from standing flat on its head. My switch on the SC600w is deeply recessed and I don't worry about turning it on accidently while being carried in my pocket with the clip.

3. I wish it had pogo pins in the tail cap instead of the spring.