Zebralight is going to come out with flashlights! part 2

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't wait for the H51. This might be the only on-person EDC light I need. Why?

1. It will be almost as small as the H501. I could care less about tactical this, rambo that lights that put out 500 lumens but can't be carried discreetly on my person.

2. Just like the H501, it's an angled headlamp but with a reflector for some throw. Those of us who have the H501 know how useful and practical it is. I will grab my H501 before batting an eye at any tactical this, rambo that light in an emergency/blackout situation.

3. It comes with a host of improvements over the H501 such as an improved UI, a boost circuit to take advantage of 14500 batteries, and of course a reflector.

4. With a reflector, it will probably have as much throw as the SC50, which makes it a good flashlight as well as a headlamp.

Once again, I hope Zebralight will use the XP-G emitter for the upcoming headlamps/flashlight. This emitter makes sense because:

1. The XP-G is more efficient, which means more brightness and/or longer run time. The XP-G emitter has a big hot spot which is great for close-up use as a headlamp.

Now there are some people who will say that you lose throw with the XP-G emitter. No, you won't. Not in a light this size. The reflector in small lights is so small that no great throw can be achieved anyway. So using the XP-G emitter is not going to hurt the throw that much if at all.

+1. I was thinking of getting the H51 and sell my other lights (mini AA and Romisen G2 w/ R2).

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take it back... I realized I do need one flashlight because it's awkward holding a headlamp as a flashlight.

Prolly keep the Romisen G2 and sell the mini AA...

Whatever work for you, man. It works for me. Sure it's not as familiar as holding a flashlight, but I still have light where I need it. And that's the important thing. Have you really given it a try? It takes about a week to get used to doing something new.

I will carry an AAA light always just be well-grounded and to have different batteries to share/trade. The H51 will serve all my AA light/headlamp need. This is just for on-person EDC.

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever work for you, man. It works for me. Sure it's not as familiar as holding a flashlight, but I still have light where I need it. And that's the important thing. Have you really given it a try? It takes about a week to get used to doing something new.

I will carry an AAA light always just be well-grounded and to have different batteries to share/trade. The H51 will serve all my AA light/headlamp need. This is just for on-person EDC.

I am waiting for the H51. Not out yet.. I guess I have to try it before selling my lights...

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it hasn't already been mentioned and for what it's worth I e-mailed ZL about the H51 release their response was 3-4 weeks after the H31 release.

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
While not unexpected that is a shame, I've been hanging out for the H51. Perhaps Zebralight could throw us a bone and put up a page about the H51 on their website?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too. I am waiting for both the H51 and H51F with warm XP-G. Based on Zebralight's track record of improving upon previous lights, I think they will be great lights, definitely worth the wait. One of these or both will be my light purchase this year.

ky70

Banned
Unless you already have a headband, if not, it's more like a flashlight.

But do let me know because I do have a headband laying around doing nothing.

I wouldn't buy this light for headlamp capabilities...that's just a bonus (I have a headband at home) as what I appreciate the most about this form factor is the forward facing LED while pocket clipped. The DX knockoff appears to have a nice attached clip that would allow for pocket carry. This is why I'm interested in getting the zebralight H31 and using it as my EDC with the included pocket clip. I may pick up this DX version because I love the idea of a forward facing LED while pocket clipped, though the lack of a real low mode really turns me off.

Last edited:

learner-gr

Newly Enlightened
Are they gonna make a smooth (SMO) reflector for their flashlights?

Last edited:

learner-gr

Newly Enlightened
I don't think so. Since the reflector is not that big, it won't improve throw that much.

Ok. I understand. I thought that the SMO would give extra throw to see a figure at over 50m distance. Now with the op reflector whats the distance that you can clear a figure?