Zebralight is going to come out with flashlights! UPDATES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

evgeniy

Newly Enlightened
H51 - R5 with one AA ? 80 deg flood ?
Zebralight speak about its price ?

SC30: R2 and R5
SC30f: R2
SC50: R2 and R5
SC50f: R2
H31: R2 and R5
H51: R2 and R5
surfaces.
- SCHOTT optical glass, AR coated
- (bezel down) clip
- SC30 67mm, SC30f 66mm, SC50 80mm, SC50f 79mm
[/FONT]
Along with the headlamp H51 and H31 (I think it's like H501/H30 but with reflector).

Shorty66

Enlightened
No, its not OK
[/QUOTE]

In my opinion it is perfectly okay to add a few mm to get real Li-Ion performance.
We are talking about 1 to 2mm here. That wont hurt anybody.

I dont want the light to be programmable, though.
I think, that the H501R UI is about perfect:

Low/Moon Mode
Medium/1hz Strobe
High/4hz Strobe

[Edit]: I just saw, that the H501R already has a Moon mode. Thats really cool :D

Last edited:

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
I think Zebralight want to make sure the light will not generate too much heat too, the H60 will turn off turbo mode after 10 mins. If H501 get Li-ion performance, it probably will get much more heat than now. So if it will be a 10 min turbo, I think it's not so important to me.
Of course it's just me, I just canceled my order for a WF-139 Li-ion charger and some 14500 batteries for my new light NDI, because I found there could be many trouble/concerns caused by using 14500 on my lights, which I determined not worth the difference for me. Besides, D10 and NDI don't have higher brightness with 14500, I think that choice is made with some reason.

If you want Li-ion for extended runtime, I would say just bring some backup AAs is fine for me.

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 14500 really seems to perk my D10 up. I've never had a Zebralight, but they look interesting.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Zebralight want to make sure the light will not generate too much heat too, the H60 will turn off turbo mode after 10 mins. If H501 get Li-ion performance, it probably will get much more heat than now. So if it will be a 10 min turbo, I think it's not so important to me.
Good point. I do not use the "max" mode on my H60W at all. The change in brightness isn't enough to add any real usefulness, and it cuts the runtime vs. high mode in half, if I remember right.

Shorty66

Enlightened
Of course it's just me, I just canceled my order for a WF-139 Li-ion charger and some 14500 batteries for my new light NDI, because I found there could be many trouble/concerns caused by using 14500 on my lights, which I determined not worth the difference for me. Besides, D10 and NDI don't have higher brightness with 14500, I think that choice is made with some reason.

If you want Li-ion for extended runtime, I would say just bring some backup AAs is fine for me.

The main point in using 14500s is not the higher brightness.
14500s have longer runtime and do work reliable in cold conditions where AAs wont work at all.
If you are using your zebralights as handheld lights this may not be any problem to you - if used as headlamp p the cold weather performance with AAs is quite bad as the headlamp wont be held warm by your hand.
This is espacially true if you are using the headlamp while riding a bike in winter: Due to the windchill factor AAs get to there limit pretty soon and you would have to carry a lot of AAs to get to the runtime a Li-Ion can deliver in such conditions.

Plus, li-Ions weight about half as much as AAs which is always welcome on a headlamp.

Li-Ions arent any more expensive than NiMHs and safety is no issue for one cell lights with protected cells...

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I used lithium Energizers with my H50 last winter in sub zero with good results. On big positive about AA batteries are the numbers of options.

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
The main point in using 14500s is not the higher brightness.
14500s have longer runtime and do work reliable in cold conditions where AAs wont work at all.
If you are using your zebralights as handheld lights this may not be any problem to you - if used as headlamp p the cold weather performance with AAs is quite bad as the headlamp wont be held warm by your hand.
This is espacially true if you are using the headlamp while riding a bike in winter: Due to the windchill factor AAs get to there limit pretty soon and you would have to carry a lot of AAs to get to the runtime a Li-Ion can deliver in such conditions.

Plus, li-Ions weight about half as much as AAs which is always welcome on a headlamp.

Li-Ions arent any more expensive than NiMHs and safety is no issue for one cell lights with protected cells...

Hmm, I didn't realized the limit of AA on cold weather...
That being said, using Li-Ions will bring more trouble than benefit in my cases:
1. the AW charger at 4sevens cost $18.5. There is a WF 139 charger in DX cost less, but people said it is a fake ultrafire...
2. AW 14500 cost $12 at 4sevens. There are some trustfires cheaper at DX, but it will be a trouble maker if the battery is too long or too wide, these industrial packaged batteries seemed has lots of variance.

That means a total $40 for a charger and 2 14500, or $24 for a charger and 2 DX batteries. I think even eneloops cost $2 each in regular sales.
So using Li-Ion IS more expensive. Of course if you are already using it, it's OK.

That's why I canceled my order at DX for 14500 batteries and charger, I don't want to find the battery were too long or too wide after several weeks waiting, and to exchange them with DX will need more weeks...

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the pictures, I can't tell if the new lights can be carried on the key chain. It will be one of those things some people will ask for. It's easy to implement by drilling a hole on the clip. Folks who whine that they don't need this feature or that feature are either being selfish, or argue just for the sake of argument. Don't use it if you don't need it. It's there for the people who need it.

Last edited:

hazna

Enlightened
Any better idea on a ETA? I'm trying to hold of buying a Quark mini AA, until I see what zebralight has to offer.

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
No official comment so far. I guess they will want to make it before Xmas...
mini AA have many good features except it's a twisty. Simple 1-2 mode twisty is OK, multi mode twisty is too much for me.
Besides there is no clip for mini AA.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a picture of the kind of deep clip I hope Zebralight will use on their new lights. With a deep clip like this, the light stays all the down inside the pocket with less risk of falling out.

This picture belongs to Bucky from EDCF.
Bucky_EDC.jpg

I misplaced my Akoray K-106 somewhere and have been using the Maratac AAA at work for two days. For this task I need to turn the light on HIGH and off for about 30 times. Let me tell you. Multi-mode (L/M/H or M/L/H) twisty lights suck because it takes lots of steps to get to HIGH. At this point I am 99.9% sure I want a new ZL flashlight. It would be even better if the 7777 prism fits the new ZL flashlight.

I am also hoping that Zebralight will make AAA lights with the side click switch. No, the switch doesn't have to be big. I have seen lights with small side click switch. The market for this is huge, and so far everyone else is offering the same boring, ineffecient twisty and clicky UIs. Just imagine a light as small as the Maratac AAA with a side click switch and Zebralight great UI. I will gladly pay $50 for such a light.

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't wait any longer...:whistle:

H30 with an XP-E Q3-5A and McR10 reflector.
It's nice to have a light this small with some throw and nice tint.:grin2:
019-19.jpg

I wonder how long until the new ZL's are released...:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts