ZebraLight Mods

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
The N52 magnets are really strong so it easily holds the ZL even when encased in epoxy. And yes I had store-bought epoxy coated magnet but the epoxy film was too thin and it scratched away easily, so I had to make my own casing.

I bought the store applied epoxy counted magnets as well. They do scratch too easily. If you find that the ones you did start scratching as well, at least you have another option with the rubber coated. Mine hasn't torn or scuffed at all and it gets used hard daily at work.

Like you, I love a light with a magnetic tailcap. Nice work!

bbltint

Newly Enlightened
Emisar is selling magnetic tailcaps as an option to their smaller flashlights,
ZL should do the same.
I'm not a biggest fan of magnetic tailcaps, but sometimes it's unbeatable solution.

DIY clip magnets are probably even more unbeatable :cool:
Thank you, masters!

aeongen

Newly Enlightened
EyI03EX.png

Thinking of making a magnetic charging tailcap dock. Will share the files once it's done. Probably a month minimum until a finished prototype.

The thing is, I don't know if the tailcap have any special circuitry to it. From basic inspection it appears to only bridge the negative of the battery and the exposed non anodized aluminum portion of the body.

Anybody know if the flashlight will work if you connect the neg of battery to the body? Will it complete the circuit? I don't want to mess up my new $89 flashlight lol.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
While I appreciate the effort and attempt, I doubt this will work. The tailcap almost certainly does not have any special circuitry, and you could definitely make a tailcap to access the negative terminal of the battery, but how do you plan on accessing the positive end? You need both terminals to charge. The negative terminal of the battery is indeed connected to the body of the light - the body is used to complete the circuit.

Thinking of making a magnetic charging tailcap dock. Will share the files once it's done. Probably a month minimum until a finished prototype.

The thing is, I don't know if the tailcap have any special circuitry to it. From basic inspection it appears to only bridge the negative of the battery and the exposed non anodized aluminum portion of the body.

Anybody know if the flashlight will work if you connect the neg of battery to the body? Will it complete the circuit? I don't want to mess up my new $89 flashlight lol.

Netter1283

Newly Enlightened
I have a ZL H53Fc which I love. I do not love the headband; the two rubber pieces give me dents and a slight headache. I tried rerouting the band a couple different ways but that creates other problems.

I have an Olight H1 which is a great light and I love the headband. The silicone bands are just a little too big for the ZL. The Olight diameter is .72" and the ZL is .67". Any recommendations to create a tight fit? I was thinking of wrapping (electrical?) tape around the two spots where the bands attach to bring it up to the right diameter. Not sure how the tape would do if it got wet. Other ideas? I did order the Nite Ize headband so that me be an option too.

Keitho

Enlightened
On a similar light holder, I routed the headband through the same opening where the light fits. Since there's extra material inside the silicone bands, the fit is tighter. But, that might not work for comfort, since the silicone part would then be right against your head.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a ZL H53Fc which I love. I do not love the headband; the two rubber pieces give me dents and a slight headache. I tried rerouting the band a couple different ways but that creates other problems.
QUOTE]

I put a piece of adhesive Velcro ( soft ) on the back side of the silicone holder. No more marks on my forehead.

Spaceexplorer

Newly Enlightened
QUOTE]

I put a piece of adhesive Velcro ( soft ) on the back side of the silicone holder. No more marks on my forehead.
I'm gonna have to try this, out of all my headlamps the ZL headbands sucks the worse. I wish ZL would fix this.

Cemoi

Enlightened
Hi all,
I have a ZL H51F and would like to add a magnet at the tail.
Unfortunately the photobucket images in this thread are no longer visible, but I understand davidt1 put his magnet on the outside of the tailcap, gluing it.
What about putting one inside the tailcap? There seems to be room under the spring for a 6 to 7mm diameter magnet, 1 or 2 mm thick.
But I wonder whether such a magnet would be powerful enough to act through the tailcap material, what do you think?

Although it is quite smart, I am not interested in the clip solution, because I have removed the clip on my ZL for easier inserting of the light in the headband silicone holder.

Secateurs

Newly Enlightened
People used to recommend Armytek headbands to replace the ZL one. Is this still a good way to go? I have 18650 ZLs. Which Armytak one is the right size? Are there other brands of bands and holders to consider? The holders and bands really let the ZLs down. The holders break and dig into one's forehead, and the bands stretch. Neither last nearly as long as the light itself. Most annoying.

Sent from my BV9600Pro using Tapatalk

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is wrong with ZL oem bands? i have half a dozen of different headlamps and their bands\holders, are no better than ZL. they all stretch over time, and all leave a mark on a forehead. the more you tighten them the more they dig in, regardless of brand. one can say they are all equally crappy. the whole reason i'm making my own, with wider band, and rigid holders, they sit on the head firmer, even thou the bands do not have to be tight, and stiff holder minimizes light's wobbling during walking\running.

markr6

Flashaholic
what is wrong with ZL oem bands? i have half a dozen of different headlamps and their bands\holders, are no better than ZL. they all stretch over time, and all leave a mark on a forehead. the more you tighten them the more they dig in, regardless of brand. one can say they are all equally crappy. the whole reason i'm making my own, with wider band, and rigid holders, they sit on the head firmer, even thou the bands do not have to be tight, and stiff holder minimizes light's wobbling during walking\running.

I love the older ones. The new ones are junk. Hard, crispy type material with weak stretch. And you can no longer simply slide the plastic buckle to adjust; you have to grab that and then a piece of the band and pull it awkwardly.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the older ones. The new ones are junk. Hard, crispy type material with weak stretch. And you can no longer simply slide the plastic buckle to adjust; you have to grab that and then a piece of the band and pull it awkwardly.

i kind of see your point, my first holder was a black rubber one, and pretty soft, when it broke, i ordered a replacement, it was gitd type, it was not as soft, which i found to be an advantage, cuz it would cause less wobble, but i did rip one while putting the band in.

if you have a 3d printer, i can give you a file for the holders i printed , pic in a post above, they are made to work with 35-40mm rubber bands, you can get those at hobby stores, craft supplies, or internet, since i made them for my self i did not need to make them adjustable, tried several bands, with different stiffness, now i only use wide bands, and rigid holders, to me the difference is huge, i remove thin oem bands from every headlamp i buy, and make my own, unfortunately my printer broke, and i can't print anymore, i just got new ylp gekko, it is the only light i have that still has oem band.

markr6

Flashaholic
Sorry I was referring to the elastic band being hard and coarse material. Not the rubber holder. I'm not sure if that changed since I didn't look closely at that. The old band was more elastic and easier to adjust. And I'm betting it will last longer. The new one feels really cheap.

Secateurs

Newly Enlightened
Well I just bought my first ZL since 2018 and was pleased to find that the band has been changed to a new material. Yes it is stiffer but I was hopeful that it would last longer, as I always wear out the band. How long have they been doing the new style bands for and can anyone tell me, do they actually last longer?

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

markr6

Flashaholic
My old band is 8 years old now and I use this all the time. Works/looks like new. The new one is cheap elastic with much less rebound. Darn seatbelt. It could last, but I'll need to wait a while to know.

I know for sure it changed 2018 like you said, but not sure how much earlier.

markr6

Flashaholic
I have a few off-brand replacements on my list at Amazon just in case...but luckily the original ZL band shows no signs of giving up.