Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

revolver

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT

Might be a dumb question since I'm still a noob, but is it okay to run this light on its highest setting while tailstanding until it dies?

Selfbuilt thanks for the great review! one question though, when you do your output v runtime tests do you have a fan blowing on your lights or anything? Or is there only passive cooling? Sorry if you mentioned it in the review, I couldn't find it anywhere.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT

Might be a dumb question since I'm still a noob, but is it okay to run this light on its highest setting while tailstanding until it dies?

Selfbuilt thanks for the great review! one question though, when you do your output v runtime tests do you have a fan blowing on your lights or anything? Or is there only passive cooling? Sorry if you mentioned it in the review, I couldn't find it anywhere.
those are good questions, no worries. :)

i never thought about the first one, so i'd be interested to know!

kreisler

Banned

yeah good question.

i did several runtime tests with Xeno E03 and 14500's on all its three modes. Several. I figured that is very possible to heat sink the torch with the bare hands (and alternating them), it's winter now anyway (=my hands are cold lol). Apart from that discovery i cooled it with a wetted dishcloth wrapped around its body. And i also immersed it into cold water for the full runtime. so there *are* many methods to control the temperature of a XML torch (the E03 has the XML heat monster).

now you're asking if it is safe to do several runtime tests without any effective cooling in Turbo mode for the full length of the runtime?

With the Xeno E03 my answer would: Why would you want to do so?.. the torch gets hot and the high temperature will degrade the LED's life span. So even if the heat doesnt damage it in place, nobody would recommend it .. even though the specs clearly tell that you ARE allowed to run it in tailstand mode unattended for the full (official) "20 mins". So, yes, it IS safe to do so. But i highly do not recommend it anyway. Try to touch the torch after 20mins. (the XML Xeno). It IS almost burningly hot because of the accumulated heat.

If you hold the E03 in Turbo Mode in your cold hands, as mentioned, then there is no temperature build up in the torch and everything is really safe.

So what about the SC51?

Here, the LED is a XP-G R5 and the energy source is not a 3.7V cell. It's a harmless 1.5V cell.

My clear assessment is: Yes, it is 100% safe to leave it in tailstand for the full length of the runtime in Turbo+ mode. That's what 1.5V torches are designed for. They never break or fail when you leave them in attended turbo mode.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Might be a dumb question since I'm still a noob, but is it okay to run this light on its highest setting while tailstanding until it dies? Selfbuilt thanks for the great review! one question though, when you do your output v runtime tests do you have a fan blowing on your lights or anything? Or is there only passive cooling? Sorry if you mentioned it in the review, I couldn't find it anywhere.
Second question first - yes, all my runtimes are done under a cooling fan :) (it's mentioned at the start of the methods section, right before the summary tables).

As to the first question, the answer is it depends. As kreisler points out above, 1xAA-sized lights get very hot when heavily driven on 1x3.7V Li-ion sources. You could reasonably expect this to damage the emitter over time, if left running for extended periods without cooling. Plus the light would get very hot and it would hurt when you go to pick it up again.

As an aside, hand-holding (against skin) is a form of cooling, as your own circulatory system would help transport heat generated by the light - just not as efficiently or quickly as a fan would. This is why tail-standing lights get hotter than hand-held lights.

But as for standard 1.5V cells (i.e. alkaline/NiMH) in the SC51, I wouldn't be worried too worried about running the light in tailstand mode. The heat will not be as high, and is far less likely to damage anything.

However, I should point out that you should never run NiMH cells down to the point where the light dies (or even near to it). This will damage the cell - as manifested in an enhanced rate of self-discharge. Modern Eneloop-style NiMH have the relative advantage that they keep their charge stored for a very long period of time. Excessive discharge will damage this characteristic, greatly limiting how long it will be able to continue to hold a charge.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

so I tried those 3.2v Titanium Innovations CR14505 cells and my SC51 won't accept them. HOWEVER, it WILL accept AW 3.7v 14500s. Weird?

and for what it's worth, I didn't notice any brightness differences between the AW cells and the eneloop. call me crazy, but I know what I saw!

edit: and by "won't accept them," I mean it plain won't start with them in. The cells are fresh and work but the SC51 doesn't like them. Weird...

hazna

Enlightened

so I tried those 3.2v Titanium Innovations CR14505 cells and my SC51 won't accept them. HOWEVER, it WILL accept AW 3.7v 14500s. Weird?

and for what it's worth, I didn't notice any brightness differences between the AW cells and the eneloop. call me crazy, but I know what I saw!

Maybe it considers 3.0V batteries to be an overdischarged 3.7V li-ion, and doesn't turn it on?

It doesn't not surprise me that the eneloop and AW are the same brightness. The sc51 is optimised to run on AA

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

and for what it's worth, I didn't notice any brightness differences between the AW cells and the eneloop.
you crazy :D

the OP measured 100 lumens on 14500 and 91 lumens on XP-G!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Maybe it considers 3.0V batteries to be an overdischarged 3.7V li-ion, and doesn't turn it on?
It's likely the wide anode button size on the 14505. I just tried one as well, and it wouldn't light up in my SC51. I observed the same for the older-style AW 14500 with the wide button top (i.e. I needed to use a small magnet to make contact).

It doesn't not surprise me that the eneloop and AW are the same brightness. The sc51 is optimised to run on AA
Yes, I had found little difference in output on 14500 and AA on my SC51. Of course, mine was an early review sample, so things may have changed since then.

TweakMDS

Enlightened

I just noticed something new (that might have been posted) in the ZL product comparison page that might be of interest here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...authkey=CNqP6KIC&hl=en&authkey=CNqP6KIC#gid=0

On a few of their lights they now state the following: 3/2012: all levels current regulated.
This includes the SC51w and H51, but not the SC51 (which might be a mistake though, or they're running existing stock out).

There doesn't seem any additional info on the product page, but this takes away one of my main concern with these lights. Now if there was only a way to figure out which one you'd get...

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ordered a SC51W this weekend after reading your review and a few other's. I really appreciate all the pictures and opinions!

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received my SC51W in the mail today and I genuinely love the interface. It is by far the most complicated user interface I've used (i'm still pretty new here though) but it really is pretty easy to get the hang of and I suspect after carrying it for a little while it will become second nature. I'm very happy with the tint, although it looks a bit muddy when compared next to a perfectly white light like my Thrunite Ti, it looks just perfect on its own and I suspect much better for me than the standard 51 which looks awfully blue for my taste.

The only thing I'm not happy with is how off-centered the LED is. I've read and seen pictures of many other people's who's arrived off-center but I really didn't think it would be an issue for me, but here's a pic:
2012-08-18123634.jpg

It's pretty bad in my opinion but as far as I can tell it's not effecting the beam, even at a couple inches away from a wall I can't tell that it's not a perfect circle of light with a centered hotspot. One more thing to note is that I love the large (in my opinion) spill of my Thrunite Ti but the SC51's is WAY bigger and I can't wait to use it once the sun goes down...

iocheretyanny

Enlightened

Considering how bright this light is on R4 it will be amazing once G2 version is released.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Too bad, I like the feel of the SC51 in my hand better than the new SC52.
FYI, a SC52 is supposedly on its way for me to review. So I will be doing a full review of that model once it is here (with comparison to the SC51).

g.p.

Enlightened

FYI, a SC52 is supposedly on its way for me to review. So I will be doing a full review of that model once it is here (with comparison to the SC51).
Looking forward to lit.

I already have one and it's a great upgrade to the SC51 in terms of performance and UI. The downside is that it has some sharp ridges and not much of a transition between the body and the much fatter head. It just doesn't feel as nice in my hand as the SC51. The ridges or waves on the flashlight body are great for extra grip though, and the battery indicator is nice.

If ZL could make the SC51 officially take 14500's with a bump in lumens, it would be the best of both worlds.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

I'll throw in an unusual request, but of course will understand if it is not considered.

ZL has spec'd the SC52 to be equal to or better than both the FourSevens Quark AA2-X (QP2A-X) and the EagleTac D25C Clicky XML across most of the modes, which interestingly, lining-up quite closely between the three lights. Since the single cell XML versions of the Quark AA and D25A have not been previously tested by yourself, perhaps the tested 3v versions would be worthy of inclusion on the comparison charts, particularly given the closely matching manufacturer specification claims.

Without any representation from XML Quark AA or D25As, then it seems the only other XML/1xAA/sub-lumen competitor light in the comparison will be the ThruNite Neutron 1A.

Just trying to get a more complete comparison, without being unfair (once again, given the matching spec sheets).

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Without any representation from XML Quark AA or D25As, then it seems the only other XML/1xAA/sub-lumen competitor light in the comparison will be the ThruNite Neutron 1A.
It's a good point, I do have a limited number of 1xAA comparators in the XM-L class. I can certainly include a couple of tables with some of the recent XM-L based 2xAA and 1xCR123A/RCR lights, should make for some interesting comparisons.

I'm just pulling everything together for the review now anyway, should have it up in a couple of days.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

....I can certainly include a couple of tables with some of the recent XM-L based 2xAA and 1xCR123A/RCR lights, should make for some interesting comparisons.

Awesome...and on your Output/Runtime graphs (please?), considering the SC52 is competing at the same 280 lms/0.9 hrs mark (and, well, nearly every other mode too) against the best of the best.

Looking forward to your review.... as usual :)

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Awesome...and on your Output/Runtime graphs (please?), considering the SC52 is competing at the same 280 lms/0.9 hrs mark (and, well, nearly every other mode too) against the best of the best.
That's a little more work to pull together, given that runtime data is categorized by battery type (i.e., I have to transfer the data and re-generate each curve in a different template). I suppose I could do it for direct comparisons to the 2xAA lights, as it would at least be comparable battery chemistries (for alkaline and NiMH).

Man, this is shaping up to be a long review ... :laughing: