Zebralight SC600 MK III Hi or Plus?

Dave3

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

Pretty close to ordering one of these lights but not sure which to go for, I know the Hi is very well received but I'm not seeing much on the Plus, It has a bit more output but is also labeled as "floody". I was hoping someone had experience with these lights or the emitter and could lend their opnion to which is the better choice.

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone, Pretty close to ordering one of these lights but not sure which to go for, I know the Hi is very well received but I'm not seeing much on the Plus, It has a bit more output but is also labeled as "floody". I was hoping someone had experience with these lights or the emitter and could lend their opnion to which is the better choice.
Dave3 It would really help if you told us what your criteria were. What aspects of a light in this case are the important ones to you? Kind of hard to help without that info; otherwise multi-variable reviews are your best source I think.

TCY

Enlightened
Hi for throw, Plus for flood.

Similarities: identical form factor, same battery requirement

Differences: Clear lens on HI, frosty lens on Plus, Plus is brighter but with diffused, floody beam, Hi has more throw with a defined hotspot. Plus has a higher CRI rating which means it renders colours more naturally.

markr6

Flashaholic
It's a personal preference and depends on the application, but even as a person that usually prefers floody lights, I found the Plus way too floody. I am quite surprised to find myself using the HI not only as a "mini thrower" but as a general use light. It's just about perfect IMO.

Don't forget the standard SC600 III! It's a very nice balance of flood/throw...a nice "everyday" beam type. I'm surprised I don't have one...but again the HI seems to do it all so I didn't want two lights that close.

Dave3

Newly Enlightened
Aha so it is a frosted lens, I thought it might have just been the way the photo was taken, I wonder how the plus would be with a clear lens.

As for the Hi vs Standard, is the only difference the emitter? Or does it have a different reflector shape?

fnsooner

Enlightened
I own both and I think I like the Hi more but I use the Plus more. Quite a bit more actually.

EDness

Newly Enlightened
HI for sure. Small reflector for flood, HI emitter for little bit of throw.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

Pretty close to ordering one of these lights but not sure which to go for, I know the Hi is very well received but I'm not seeing much on the Plus, It has a bit more output but is also labeled as "floody". I was hoping someone had experience with these lights or the emitter and could lend their opnion to which is the better choice.

I have both of these lights and it really depends on how you plan to use it. If you're going to be outdoors or areas where you need light more than 50 feet in front of you, the HI model will definitely be the better option. If you are planning to use the light indoors, up close work, etc. where distance isn't that important then the Plus model would work better.

For me personally, I have been using the Plus model more recently, it's great for around the house and up close work. The CRI on mine is excellent as well and really comes in handy when I need to accurately depict the colors of something.

Dave3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, sounds like the Hi is probably a better all arounder, I'll be using it outdoors a lot so a bit of throw wouldn't go amiss, might get the Plus down the road for at home use.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to be outdoors or areas where you need light more than 50 feet in front of you, the HI model will definitely be the better option. If you are planning to use the light indoors, up close work, etc. where distance isn't that important then the Plus model would work better.

I disagree. I actually find the Plus to be GREAT outdoors. It has actually become my most-used light AND my 'go-to' light for hiking. I prefer the fact that it is floody rather than giving the kind of 'tunnel vision' you get from throwier lights. And as far as throw, it may not be the best thrower in the world. But it WILL throw further than 50ft. The nice thing about the Plus is that it can crank out some lumens. So even though it uses a larger emitter and frosted lens, it can throw decently far at higher brightness settings. I myself would find the Plus a MUCH better everyday light and the HI more of a special purpose light. But lots depends on your personal preference.

Mattz68

Newly Enlightened
When hiking I always reach for my H600fc as my "go to" light. The beam profile (with the frosted lens) must be similar to the 600fd I would think. I love everything about my HI, and it has its niche for sure, but tight wooded trails are not it. Now when I ride forest roads on my mountain bike -I like using the HI, the beam fans out nicely and gives good throw and spill. Too bad Z.L. doesn't make a diffuser cap for the HI. This would make would make the light more versatile and you wouldn't need 2 flashlights.

markr6

Flashaholic
I hike with my H600w (diffused with film) and take my SC600w HI often. I don't need both, but it sure is nice to have both for an extra 4oz. Sometimes I just need to "punch through" the dark woods with that throwier beam. Running the H600w on full power doesn't really make up for having less throw; almost blinding from light bouncing off of everything.

I still feel like the standard SC600 III and SC600w III get lost in between these other two models. It's a great general beam for so many uses. I wish I would have kept mine.

Mattz68

Newly Enlightened
Mark6, when it comes to the SC600w -I totally agree with your assessment on its abilities. Recently, I bought the H600fc because I'm on a "HI-Cree" thing with my flashlights. My original intention was to get rid of my old H600w with the arrival of the new, higher cri version. However, after using the 2 for awhile I realized what you said; the original (with XML) just has an excellent all around beam pattern. So...even though I received an offer to buy, I decided to keep it. When I combine the it with the H600fc for mountain biking (Handle bar and helmet) it's awesome! Virtually no hot spot -just a 1200 lumen wall of 4000k goodness.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
When hiking I always reach for my H600fc as my "go to" light. The beam profile (with the frosted lens) must be similar to the 600fd I would think.

I have an H600Fc myself. And although I am generally not a headlamp kind of guy, it certainky comes in handy for those situations where I NEED a headlamp. Beam pattern is indeed similar to the SC600Fd, but it is quite a bit less bright.

toobadorz

Newly Enlightened
I have some simple beamshots of these two lights, maybe they are helpful. Both of them are working at the highest output mode.

Zebralight SC600Fd III Plus:
MwjtnYT.jpg

Zebralight SC600w III HI
RbjzAjj.jpg

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see having to choose between the SC600F and SC600, or between the SC600 and SC600 HI, but between the SC600F and SC600 HI?