ZebraLight SC600 MkII vs Fenix PD35 vs Nitecore SRT6

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am trying to decide between the following flashlights, which would you recommend for portability, throw, brightness, etc.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight SC600 is small and has a simple interface. Floody. The switch is deep in the body so it's not very tactical. Easy to carry. Nice light.... The Nitecore SRT6 is larger and heavier and a little more throwier.... I don't have a PD35, ,so cannot comment on that one. You might also look at the Sunwayman C20C Tomahawk. Very small, not quite as bright.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I am trying to decide between the following flashlights, which would you recommend for portability, throw, brightness, etc.

fenix pd35. excessively long. same stupid side button ergo no PRE-SELECTION of output prior to turn on which is very important to have in an EDC. buck-only driver so you won't be able to achieve max output as the cell depletes

nitecore srt6. decent magnetic control light. but it's a buck-only driver so you won't be able to achieve max output as the cell depletes

zebra sc600. has none of the problems mentioned above ;)

mcteske

Newly Enlightened
I own a Fenix PD32UE and a ZebraLight SC52w, and while neither of those are exactly the same as the ones you've listed, I think I might be able to provide some information about the interface differences.

I really like ZebraLight's interface. While it requires a little bit longer to learn (maybe 10 minutes as opposed to 30 seconds), once you do it's great and it's very easy to use. You can change modes with one hand (and one button) and you can basically choose the output before turning the light on (as Overclocker already addressed).

I think Fenix makes good lights, but I don't particularly care for the sideswitch interface for changing modes. You have a tailswitch that allows for temporary on (which ZebraLight doesn't have) and constant on, which is great if you only plan on using one mode. But it can be a little annoying if you want to switch modes.

It's not really bad, but it's far from ideal in my opinion. I do think it's a really easy light to use, right out of the box, without having to read the instructions. It might be a good choice if you want to set it to medium and use it for all your everyday tasks, knowing that you can get a higher output if you really need it. Or maybe you just want to leave it on high or turbo all the time, and then cycle down when necessary. But the light doesn't make it very easy to change modes quickly or with one hand.

Last edited:

dml24

Newly Enlightened
The type of light interface is a matter of personal preference. I prefer Fenix's two switchs, one for on, the other for turbo, high, low or strobe.
The Fenix lights I own or have tried out have a memory. Whatever mode the light is in when turned off, is the mode the light turns on too.

Others prefer the twisty heads or multiple click tail buttons, which as my personal preference find those unweildly.

passive101

Enlightened
The Zebralight doesn't allow 123A primaries which makes me not want the light. I have an sc52 ZL, PD35, and SRT5. If my battery dies I want to be able to use primaries, hop in a store, or borrow a couple from a friend. Not be stuck with an expensive tool which doesn't light.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've enjoyed using all three and all are very good lights. You'll have to decide on which factors are most important to you.

The Zebralight and Nitecore probably have the better UI's but that's not to say the the PD35 is bad and I actually edc the Fenix. It's simplistic and it's a much better tactical light than the Zebralight. It's longer because it has a tail switch and the head is smaller around. A lot of lights don't have pre-selection of output but I never considered that a deal breaker. It's simply one facet. The PD35 also has better throw, with the SRT6 having a lot more throw. The SC600 probably appeals to the gadget guy and has the most sophisticated electronics. Flashaholics who are not super tactical might prefer to edc the SC600 and it might also appeal to the survivalist crowd because of its efficiency. The SRT6 will make the best open spaces light, where the SC600 will offer the least performance there. It's also intuitively, infinitely adjustable and precludes you from having to learn anything special to get the output you like. I've found that an infinite output rings tends to allow me to use less battery energy because it's more often used at a level just high enough to accomplish a task.

Any of these lights should give you many years of good service and even if you flipped a coin to pick one, you'd probably still be happy. I know that's usually the case for me unless I need to grab a light for a very specific purpose, like lighting up a hillside 75 yards away....SRT6. Slim tactical light....PD35. Walking in the desert during snake season....SC600 Cast Away scenario....SRT6 (throw baby!) Cave light....SC600. Different tools for different jobs, but there's usually a lot of crossover capability between them as well.

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the comprehensive replies. It is most useful to read your views.

Rexlion

Enlightened
The Zebralight doesn't allow 123A primaries which makes me not want the light. I have an sc52 ZL, PD35, and SRT5. If my battery dies I want to be able to use primaries, hop in a store, or borrow a couple from a friend. Not be stuck with an expensive tool which doesn't light.
Have you tried a single 123A along with a dummy cell? It seems like the voltage should still be high enough, although runtime won't be too good.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thank you all for the comprehensive replies. It is most useful to read your views.

Very welcome!

Also, I wanted to mention that the SRT5 actually has more in common with the other two lights than the SRT6, which is quite a bit larger.

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
How do you find the flashlights listed in the title compared to the Nitecore P12

TSD

Newly Enlightened
I have the P12 (similar to PD35) and SRT6. I just got them, but it has been raining for the past several days, so I haven't used them outside yet. I'll give you some initial impressions.

Portability:
Both of these lights feel like they are built very well, and both have good grip, and fit my hand nicely (for reference, it is about 7.5 inches from the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger). Both of these lights fit in my pocket, but the SRT6 does so a bit conspicuously and uncomfortably. The wider head of the SRT6 is noticeable in my jeans, and pushes a little against my leg a little. I certainly could carry the SRT6 in my pocket if I had to, but I have no desire to. The tube design of the P12 fits in my pocket much better, but to me it is even a bit big for pocket carry. I prefer the smaller and slimmer size of my Olight S20 L2 for pocket carry. I think the PD35 would feel the same as the P12 in my pocket, so I would say it also would be a little larger than desirable for pocket carry. The zebra is thicker, but shorter, so I am not sure how it would feel. I think the P12(PD35) is definitely preferable to the SRT6 for portability and any kind of non-holster carry.

Beams:
The beams of the SRT6 and P12 are a bit different. The SRT6 is definitely going to throw further as the hot spot is smaller, and more intense. I usually multiply the advertised beam range by .4 to estimate what my "usable" range is going to be for a light, and doing so gives you about 15 extra meters range for the SRT6. I will confirm this later, but based on the hotspot intensity I see on my wall at 30ft, I would guess the SRT6 will throw about 20 meters further than the P12. Also, at 30ft, the P12 hotspot is about 33% larger in diameter than the SRT6. I prefer the larger hotspot of the P12 to the SRT6, and I believe that both the SC600 MKII L2 and PD35 have an even larger hotspot than the P12 (a plus to me). So, based on my subjective usable range preferences, I would say that if want your light to throw 100 or more yards, go with the SRT6. If 85ish yards is okay with you, the SC600 L2 should be fine, and if 75ish yards is okay with you, PD35 will also work. The spill of the P12 and SRT6 appears to be the same, and I think both of the nitecore lights have less spill than the PD35, and especially the SC600. I always prefer as much spill as possible, as it lights up the ground near your feet better, as well as your periphery. The brightness of the SRT6 and P12 appears identical based on ceiling bounce tests. Finally, the color of the beam of the P12 and SRT6 is identical. I think the PD35 is similar if not cooler in color compared to the Nitecore models. To me, this is where the SC600 really shines, because you have the option of getting it in neutral white, which I much prefer.

UI-
The SRT6 ring is great, and the ring UI is my preference right now. It operates smoothly, and it is easy to control your desired output rapidly, and without noise. Only at the very very bottom of output does the light have a little trouble maintaining a constant intensity as it tends to flicker or waver a bit. To me, the lowest setting of both the SRT6 and P12 seems to be .5-1 lumen. The PD35 will have the brightest low, to bright to preserve night vision in my opinion, and the SC600 will be the lowest. The mode spacing of the P12 is good, 1, 50, 210, 950, but I wish it had a 500 lumen setting in between the 210 and 950 so it has a setting that can stay at high output for like 2 hours. The PD35 has this, but it lacks a adequately low low in my opinion. One thing I found myself not liking is two having two buttons. I do not like turning on the P12 in the back, and then cycling modes with the side switch. This is how the PD35 works as well, and although I thought I wouldn't mind it, I find that I do now that I own the P12. My Olight S20 is a single side button UI, and I prefer that format. The Zebra is also a single side button option, with more choices and flexibility than the Olight S20, so I think I would like it. Out of the lights you are looking at, I would prefer the SRT6 UI, followed by the SC600, followed by the PD35.

Overall, if I had to pick one, I would (I am going to buy this next) pick the SC600 L2 for it's size, output (it is the brightest and maintains the highest output the longest), spill, large hot spot, and neutral tint. I don't think its UI is as good as the magnetic ring design, but if I can't have that, I prefer that one button does everything rather than two. It won't throw as far as the SRT6, but I suspect there would only be around a 25 meter difference in "usable" range for me.

Last point: Are you okay with a light that only uses rechargeable 18650 batteries? If not, cross the zebralight off your list.

Last edited:

TSD

Newly Enlightened
I would also like to add that Patriot has the best video (YouTube) I found that compares the beam of the PD35 and SRT6. If you haven't looked at it yet, check it out, it definitely helped me.

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
I read the Zebralight SC600 MkII L2 is PID Regulated, how do the others listed compare and which has a better regulator?

TSD

Newly Enlightened
I read the Zebralight SC600 MkII L2 is PID Regulated, how do the others listed compare and which has a better regulator?

In terms of maintaining the highest output for the longest time, the SC600 MKII L2 is first, followed by the SRT6, followed by the PD35. I think the SC600 has the best regulation. Take a look at selfbuilt's review of the SC600 MKII L2, and the Nitecore SRT7 (very similar to SRT6), and FlashLion's review of the PD35 to see how the lights step down in the higher levels.

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
Overall, if I had to pick one, I would (I am going to buy this next) pick the SC600 L2 for it's size, output
Thanks for your detailed input. Please provide your overall view on all the three listed flashlights including the P12 when you get a chance to use the SC600 after your purchase. Cheers

TSD

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't hold my breath on that if you are looking to choose one soon. I most likely won't order the SC600 until after Christmas, and considering how long the wait times are until people receive their lights, it could be several months from now until I could give you any feedback. If you are eager to get a new light, I would say pick between the P12, PD35, or SRT6, unless you are willing to wait for a few months or pick up a used SC600.

As far as the P12 and SRT6 go, to me it pretty much comes down to a few things.
-Do you prefer a magnetic ring or clickly UI?
-How big a light do you want/do you have a preference between holster or pocket carry? SRT6 is best in holster but can fit in pocket, though P12 fits better.
-What kind of beam do you want? SRT6 throws 15-20yrds further, with higher contrast between hotspot and spill. P12 has less throw, but a larger hotspot that transitions better into spill.
-How important is sustained high output to you? SRT6 wins here as it sustains high for a longer time, with more stepdowns (assuming it is the same as the SRT7).