Zebralight SC600 & SC600W discussion part 2

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if this is true? Does it not step down from turbo after 5mins? Particularly with the most recent sc600?
It is supposed to step down at 5 mins. Zebralight had a batch or two whereby the step down was omitted but that had been fixed long ago.

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the info. I re read selfbuilts review one the sc600 and it has a timer for 5 mins to step down but he did mention you simply turn the light off and then on again for high. Either way, I finally put my light away after holding it for hours. I'm still in shock at how crazy bright it is.

bodhran

Enlightened
We hiked Half Dome in Yosemite a couple months ago and the family wanted to hit the trail at two in the morning. I was a little nervous about hiking that trail with flashlights but with the SC600w, it was a pleasure. After that I could honestly answer the question, if you could only have one light, for me it would be the 600w.

nanucq

Newly Enlightened
Got mine about 30 mins ago and I cannot take my hands off of it!...........
This light is THE edc light I've been looking and waiting for. Gonna stick to this one as my bonafide EDC for many years to come. Thank you ZEBRALIGHT!!

Same here, i'v been EDC'ing my SC600 for a year and i find it perfect in terms of UI, modes, runtimes and beam in my "urban" environment.

This is definitely a very well balanced flashlight

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Floody beams are the most useful for most people, as you can then see your environment more as you would in daylight, just being able to see everything around you...as opposed to the tight beams that force you to look around like you're looking through a paper towel tube at what's out there.

As the older lights had so few lumens to work with...they HAD to make the beams tight to see anything, even if the view WAS through a paper towel tube, etc.

So a 100 lumen monster light was considered a glaring hot flame thrower, and no one back then could imagine how anything brighter could be useful...as just about no one considered spreading the extra lumens out more...so a 750 lumen light might light something up the same as a 100 lumen light, with simply a larger area being lit at a time.

Its one of the reasons I am always gritting my teeth when the cavalcade of "how many lumens is good/enough/perfect/needed..." questions/threads are posted....with no mention of the beam angle that would make a CONTEXT for the number of lumens.

The SC600's 750 lumens is not too much to EDC...its a very useful output for its PATTERN.

:D

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
Floody beams are the most useful for most people, as you can then see your environment more as you would in daylight, just being able to see everything around you...as opposed to the tight beams that force you to look around like you're looking through a paper towel tube at what's out there.

As the older lights had so few lumens to work with...they HAD to make the beams tight to see anything, even if the view WAS through a paper towel tube, etc.

So a 100 lumen monster light was considered a glaring hot flame thrower, and no one back then could imagine how anything brighter could be useful...as just about no one considered spreading the extra lumens out more...so a 750 lumen light might light something up the same as a 100 lumen light, with simply a larger area being lit at a time.

Its one of the reasons I am always gritting my teeth when the cavalcade of "how many lumens is good/enough/perfect/needed..." questions/threads are posted....with no mention of the beam angle that would make a CONTEXT for the number of lumens.

The SC600's 750 lumens is not too much to EDC...its a very useful output for its PATTERN.

:D
Perfectly stated.

Unfortunately, sometimes it is the long time members that make misleading statements about the sc600 being involved with the novelty of recent "lumen wars". Simply put, the sc600 is reinstating our peripheral vision, and that requires lumens.

I have zero use for throwers. Purchasing a laser pointer satisfies that novelty.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is supposed to step down at 5 mins. Zebralight had a batch or two whereby the step down was omitted but that had been fixed long ago.

Was this a deliberate/intentional omission?
Or was it a mutant faulty batch?

Nevermind if my SC600 is faulty.
Personally, I don't mind if the Cree XM-L in my SC600 has a reduced life span as a result, because I think I will have another new single 18650 powered flashlight long before the emitter dies out. :)
If the omission of a 5 minute turbo cut-out significantly reduces the lifespan of the emitter, then I would have to get an exchange with Zebralight, but at the moment, I'll just take a risk, and try my luck.
In some ways, it is a bit like Saabluster overdriving his lights, albeit with superior cooling.

I have an RRT-01 which did strobe when the ring is turned backwards/forwards three times, however lately, due to a malfunction, this feature no longer works at all.
Also in this rare situation, I don't mind at all, because I never liked accidental operation of the strobe/SOS after three turns backwards/forwards...

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was this a deliberate/intentional omission?
Or was it a mutant faulty batch?

Nevermind if my SC600 is faulty.
Personally, I don't mind if the Cree XM-L in my SC600 has a reduced life span as a result, because I think I will have another new single 18650 powered flashlight long before the emitter dies out. :)
If the omission of a 5 minute turbo cut-out significantly reduces the lifespan of the emitter, then I would have to get an exchange with Zebralight, but at the moment, I'll just take a risk, and try my luck.
In some ways, it is a bit like Saabluster overdriving his lights, albeit with superior cooling.

I have an RRT-01 which did strobe when the ring is turned backwards/forwards three times, however lately, due to a malfunction, this feature no longer works at all.
Also in this rare situation, I don't mind at all, because I never liked accidental operation of the strobe/SOS after three turns backwards/forwards...
It wasn't intentional and it is a glitch in the circuit's program. I once had a couple of SC600w which did not step down and it got too hot to even hand hold at around the 8 minute mark. Most likely also caused by the less efficient neutral white emitter, and Zebralight had them both replaced.

ZebraLight

Enlightened
It wasn't intentional and it is a glitch in the circuit's program. I once had a couple of SC600w which did not step down and it got too hot to even hand hold at around the 8 minute mark. Most likely also caused by the less efficient neutral white emitter, and Zebralight had them both replaced.

That's correct. All SC600 and SC600w, except several dozens from the first batch, have a turbo mode timer of 5min. We later added an 'auto step down' feature to the SC600/SC600w that will step-down output levels based on the estimated remaining battery capacity.

thaugen

Enlightened
Looks like cold version of SC600 no longer available. There is no on the zebralight site.

I notice this as well and was wondering where the SC600 went. While I was at the site I pulled the trigger on a SC600w!

Edit...looks like the SC600 is back on the site.

Last edited:

flame2000

Enlightened
It's about time Zebralight make some good quality holster for their SC600. I think they have put enough SC600 & SC600W on the market to generate a interest for these holster. :santa:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost opened a new thread for this topic LOL!!

hahaut.png

Who's in?

I am!!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been holding off on the 600 so that is good news!

Does anyone know about the clip they list for the SC80/SC600 but with no picture on the site?
Surely it can not be the same clip for both lights? And the clip on the SC80 is so bad I am afraid I will lose mine without a lot of effort if relying on the included clip/

Anyone seen this mystery clip???

Pretbek

Newly Enlightened
I would still go for the 4200K SC600w version, I prefer that tint over the 6300K.