Zebralight SC600Fd Mk III Plus first impression (pic heavy)

TCY

Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC600Fd Mk III Plus first impression

Looks like mine shipped 2 or 3 days ago. I'll just wait and see what I get. Does ZL offer money back guarantee?

TCY, how long does it stay on turbo? Can you see the drop? Thanks for taking those shots for us. FWIW, I think you did okay for an amateur photographer. LOL. Gotta pick up a couple LG HE2s tomorrow so I have something to feed this thing.

Why can't ZL make a 26650 light with 4 Nichia 219b LEDs and call it a day?

Basically ZL can get you a replacement or refund for no reason at all, even if the light is perfect and you just feel like returning it. I think there is a 30-day time limit though, but I'm not sure.

For a light this size it can't stay on turbo for too long, I've noticed one small drop from 1500lm to maybe 1000lm when I was taking the beam shots but that's about it. Unless turbo is being used for a prolonged period of time say 3 minutes, you shouldn't see an abrupt dropdown in output.

ZL is not going to use Nichia LEDs as "From what we have measured, light from Cree high CRI LEDs in general stays closer to the black body radiation line, compared to Nichia LEDs (one of several reasons that we are not using any Nichia LEDs in our lights). Most Nichia LEDs that we could manage to source tend to have a pinkish tint. While we do understand that some of our customers don't mind a pinkish tint, but my boss, George, would rather stick to something that can be measured and quantifiable. Closer to the black body radiation line is the ultimate goal for all of our lights."

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast

Basically ZL can get you a replacement or refund for no reason at all, even if the light is perfect and you just feel like returning it. I think there is a 30-day time limit though, but I'm not sure.

For a light this size it can't stay on turbo for too long, I've noticed one small drop from 1500lm to maybe 1000lm when I was taking the beam shots but that's about it. Unless turbo is being used for a prolonged period of time say 3 minutes, you shouldn't see an abrupt dropdown in output.

ZL is not going to use Nichia LEDs as "From what we have measured, light from Cree high CRI LEDs in general stays closer to the black body radiation line, compared to Nichia LEDs (one of several reasons that we are not using any Nichia LEDs in our lights). Most Nichia LEDs that we could manage to source tend to have a pinkish tint. While we do understand that some of our customers don't mind a pinkish tint, but my boss, George, would rather stick to something that can be measured and quantifiable. Closer to the black body radiation line is the ultimate goal for all of our lights."

Ever since George turned on his murder of crows and started hanging out in his attic with Otto Mann he's had some crazy ideas. That stuff was meant to be helping his eyes, no wonder he's been so happy with the green tints. :whistle:

Last edited:

AB8XL

Enlightened

I don't think they even evaluated the new Nichia NV4W144AR/AM LED, I'd personally choose Nichia over CREE, CREE only cares about brightness were as Nichia cares about color quality.

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast

A big thank you for the beamshots.
ZL said it was going to be a floody beam but its too floody for me. I've never seen such a floody beam profile before - almost a ball-shaped beam.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast

ZL said it was going to be a floody beam but its too floody for me. I've never seen such a floody beam profile before - almost a ball-shaped beam.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

You can say that again! ;)

TCY

Enlightened

I don't think they even evaluated the new Nichia NV4W144AR/AM LED, just from my experience in the auto industry, I'd personally choose Nichia over CREE, CREE only cares about brightness were as Nichia cares about color quality.

From ZL: "We started to use 'w' for all of our (warmer tint) neutral white lights about 7 years ago and reserved the 'n' for Nichia LEDs but somehow never found any Nichia LEDs that are bright enough for any of our single LED lights. Sourcing production quantity Nichia LEDs is another PITA process. That said, we are keeping an eye on all of their product offerings all the time, including their recent high power ones. "Single LED" is important to us because we put all components (LED, switch, driver electronics, etc.) into a single PCB to make sure that the temperature sensor for the PID thermal regulation works properly and potting can be done effectively."

Seems like they have taken a look at the new Nichia LED.

TCY

Enlightened

For people who are used to the traditional reflector + clear lens beam pattern this light does have a very floody beam profile. From what I see the spill beam go as wide as almost 180 degrees, but majority of the light are focused in the 90 degree region.

DMS1970

Enlightened

I'm hoping this light is good competition for my Armytek v3 that is probably around 1800 real otf lumens in cool white. Love the brightness and the floodiness. Hate the UI though compared to my ZLs. If anyone has both, I'd love to see beam shot comparison.

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened

Whatever floody beam profile, the outdoor color rendering is awesome, I think, at least judging from the pics. It seems at least on par with the Astrolux 41 219b, and this the best high CRI flashlight I have seen so far. By the way, the Astrolux also seems - SEEMS - to have a very slight greenish hue. But after a second my mind acknowledges this as pure sunlight in the forest (i.e. falling through trees.) The next thing that is so amazing about the S41 is that it is so floody without any sharp edges in the beam profile or even a clear frontier between light and no light. The ZL seems to behave equally.

Only thing: the S41 can't handle its own high and turbo modes, it is simply too much heat (it burns the skin and fries the driver, therefore I ordered a different driver that puts out 4A max, but this is another strory). I think the SC600Fd III will behave better in this respect.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whatever floody beam profile, the outdoor color rendering is awesome, I think, at least judging from the pics. It seems at least on par with the Astrolux 41 219b, and this the best high CRI flashlight I have seen so far. By the way, the Astrolux also seems - SEEMS - to have a very slight greenish hue. But after a second my mind acknowledges this as pure sunlight in the forest (i.e. falling through trees.) The next thing that is so amazing about the S41 is that it is so floody without any sharp edges in the beam profile or even a clear frontier between light and no light. The ZL seems to behave equally.

Only thing: the S41 can't handle its own high and turbo modes, it is simply too much heat (it burns the skin and fries the driver, therefore I ordered a different driver that puts out 4A max, but this is another strory). I think the SC600Fd III will behave better in this respect.

Since I tend to use my lights more for walking/hiking than anything else, floody is better. And I really DO like the beam pattern of the S41. Specifically, I like the way that it casts such a wide spill while using brute lumens to have at least SOME throw to it. This allows me to see my feet and where I step while still being able to see ahead (unlike throwier lights, which force you to choose). It's the tint that I'm more concerned about with the SC600Fd. If it's not going tombe as good as (or better than) the S41, then it becomes hard to justify spending a whole $100 on a light. Even if that light may be LOTS better in other ways than the S41 (ie build quality, efficiency, etc).

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tint IS measurable and quantifiable, and I will take pink over green every day of the week

a green tint is ABOVE the BBL, for example 3s tint bin in the following ANSI White chart
most people tend to prefer tint at or BELOW the BBL, for example 3d tint bin, which is why we love the Rosy Nichias
za9ktQJXGDP1LfXOQC0RprX2I8gbXxGdC23wPrzeyYiBkDE8GSJOInouddQLdZzkLOcCeknGC1H0EFE9KIx2wuYqzsnQK34eNEsHHXuQsg3TbWuWNV3oaPgrJBwTgIIJ1JN5dO2kgmbRO57IwW5lBafCU10MLzh9E7_cDjF04jFwKhI12QEkMmLeAZQfKMJHL5KcMZxbfOoShoZh5IBNtq14msbdNqR0KtxQYwpfHETMsKhJDMVuOsDP7yN4z2y7Y1JwCHqJYV0WxH9qli9GGWZXnPSngQXUlZipj-G6fBGJf5__8TuPcwtSHRZ6eE6o3tYAUJVsQTv3VoYB8KXIM2DVz3NULQd9qYkBG6e1RM_WLMuBBA7UijL3AGxM8LmWHZrRopAueYsQFDN4wDemfCDMJPfHl3F6TRiyxTLgeC0XenZKkT8qE02r36cDMniDJu9pNAWRDW03zf9J5BjnqDOPXxxJ85KyH_ugvhZDaCVksLnv3eUafFREqnBd79fb8JKDKVq42mSD_5MFsXsy3vDNjjR0wfRul4X3YRCLRjpeCxpt3EPnVJTgYPVhyZpdt1zp_DTJhvKGFSn-zE7HNiBGXN9zH_q08A6p83wAJXe0JqRP=w1259-h868-no

for those interested in High CRI in the 5000k CCT range, it seems the Jaxman is the light to beat:
maukka said:

From ZL:

To this day, we haven't found any takers for the 'leftover' if we were to do cherry picking during the SC600Fd Plus production. The end result is that the tint from the SC600Fd Plus will vary slightly more compared to H600Fd/Fc headlamps

as you can see, cherry picking is not really an option. Although reading between the lines, it sounds like the headlamps get cherry picked LEDs and the leftovers go into the "Plus production".

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

The headlamps use use XML2 easywhite, while the plus uses the xhp50 hi cri. cherry picking the xml2 easywhite costs less on Zebralight's behalf than cherrypicking the more expensive xhp50s.

I do agree that the Jaxman E2 with the SW57 tinted 219BV1 is the light to beat for high cri in the 5000k range.

TCY

Enlightened

I think ZL is trying to say that compared to Nichia's pinkish tints which everyone seem to like, they prefer CREE which is statistically closer to the black body radiation line than the Nichia LEDs they could source, not that tint isn't measurable or quantifiable, because they have been doing the cherry picking for their H600Fd/c and SC5Fd/c line.

The headlamps use use XML2 easywhite, while the plus uses the xhp50 hi cri. cherry picking the xml2 easywhite costs less on Zebralight's behalf than cherrypicking the more expensive xhp50s.

I do agree that the Jaxman E2 with the SW57 tinted 219BV1 is the light to beat for high cri in the 5000k range.

+1

mico

Newly Enlightened

Mine turned up. A quick test in the stair well at work, with the lights off...

Floodier than my H600Fc iii, such that I'd put it between the H600Fc and H603c (although my Fc throws quite well and doesn't sound as floody as some others here). A Mule with throw?

Cleaner beam pattern too, just about perfect in fact.

Lovely colour rendition, white beam, no green (ironically, it did look a little pink in the stairwell).
I hope I like it enough that I won't have a problem when(?) they bring out a 'c' version...

No way it's going to throw as far as a SC600 iii, I wonder if it will match the H600Fc. Probably.
Warms up steadily on H1, not too fast. M1 may not be as bright as I'd like.

Very happy so far.

Last edited:

TCY

Enlightened

Mine turned up. A quick test in the stair well at work, with the lights off...

Floodier than my H600Fc iii, such that I'd put it between the H600Fc and H603c (although my Fc throws quite well and doesn't sound as floody as some others here). A Mule with throw?

Cleaner beam pattern too, just about perfect in fact.

Lovely colour rendition, white beam, no green (ironically, it did look a little pink in the stairwell).
I hope I like it enough that I won't have a problem when(?) they bring out a 'c' version...

No way it's going to throw as far as a SC600 iii, I wonder if it will match the H600Fc. Probably.
Warms up steadily on H1, not too fast. M1 may not be as bright as I'd like.

Very happy so far.

Congrats! No green and yellow hue :thumbsup:

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened

TCY + mico, how do you like the mode spacing on your SC600Fd? It is the first ZL with 100L on med. Also the very low moonlight modes have gone... I will miss them or rather keep my SC 600w II for these (the tint doesn't matter for me in moonlight modes.) Also I think the SC600/w MKII are the most efficient ZL lights ever. Mine keeps the 330Lm mode for 4,5 Hours with a Samsung Q30 before stepping down. The specs state 3,9 hours. I am afraid the SC600Fd III is less efficient because of the 12V upcycling.

Last edited:

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened
Also I wonder if ZL is using PWM again, since the specs don't say "all levels are current regulated". But on the other hand the specs don't mention the 3000+ internal PID brightness levels that are on the spreadsheet.

Finally I wonder if and when ZL is going to release the code for complete programming brightness of all levels just as they released the programmable PID feature 3 years after implementation.

TCY

Enlightened

TCY + mico, how do you like the mode spacing on your SC600Fd? It is the first ZL with 100L on med. Also the very low moonlight modes have gone... I will miss them or rather keep my SC 600w II for these (the tint doesn't matter for me in moonlight modes.) Also I think the SC600/w MKII are the most efficient ZL lights ever. Mine keeps the 330Lm mode for 4,5 Hours with a Samsung Q30 before stepping down. The specs state 3,9 hours. I am afraid the SC600Fd III is less efficient because of the 12V upcycling.

Spacing is good for me. My setup is 0.37-2.9-34-100-429-1500. Occasionally I swap M2 to 19 if needed. You are right that the Plus is not top notch when it comes to efficiency, a price we pay for high CRI :)

AB8XL

Enlightened

From ZL: "We started to use 'w' for all of our (warmer tint) neutral white lights about 7 years ago and reserved the 'n' for Nichia LEDs but somehow never found any Nichia LEDs that are bright enough for any of our single LED lights. Sourcing production quantity Nichia LEDs is another PITA process. That said, we are keeping an eye on all of their product offerings all the time, including their recent high power ones. "Single LED" is important to us because we put all components (LED, switch, driver electronics, etc.) into a single PCB to make sure that the temperature sensor for the PID thermal regulation works properly and potting can be done effectively."

Seems like they have taken a look at the new Nichia LED.

Their reply doesn't convince me. Bright enough and sourcing is just BS, sounds like laziness to me. Nichia's current offerings are brighter and more efficient than CREE's and are offered in a single die package just as the CREE LED's.