Zebralight SC600w Mk III HI - Pocket Thrower

markr6

Flashaholic
What's the candella rating?

I have no idea; ZL never supplies this. And I don't recall anyone doing any official tests either. A very, very out of the blue guess by me would be 16,000.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea; ZL never supplies this. And I don't recall anyone doing any official tests either. A very, very out of the blue guess by me would be 16,000.

mhanlen, or is it mhalen made a video review on YouTube, which includes a CD measurement.

sp5it

Enlightened
What is current consumption on fresh cell on highest mode? I winder which cell will be most effective for that light.
Thanks, Mike

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is current consumption on fresh cell on highest mode? I winder which cell will be most effective for that light.
Thanks, Mike

I recommend the 18650ga cells, hold 3500mah and work great. They can easily handle the amp draw too.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm so tempted to try one of these but I would use it so seldom...

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently ordered a SC600w Mk III standard version. After that asked myself if I should have got the HI instead. When I search for information the most results are regarding HI version. According to technical specification HI has 8deg hotspot compared to 10deg for the standard version. This should mean ~56% more candela for the HI version, which I think is not a dramatic difference in practise. Or? Anyone who have compared them side by side?

TheRealSpinner

Newly Enlightened
I have both. I gave my wife the regular, and I use the HI. I did this because the regular is a better beam pattern (in my opinion) for general use. I don't like the hot spot that the HI omits.
The reason I use the HI is because I use it in conjunction with the SC63w. The 63 does the majority of the lighting, with the HI as additional illumination, or distance spotting.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently ordered a SC600w Mk III standard version. After that asked myself if I should have got the HI instead. When I search for information the most results are regarding HI version. According to technical specification HI has 8deg hotspot compared to 10deg for the standard version. This should mean ~56% more candela for the HI version, which I think is not a dramatic difference in practise. Or? Anyone who have compared them side by side?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies and the video!

Yes, the HI version has noticeably more intense hotspot in the video, but I think the regular version is better for allround use. Anyway my regular version is already shipped and I am sure I will be pleased with it. I think the beam profile will be similar as the beam of SC5w, just much brighter/much better runtime for similar brightness level. If I then feel that I want the same light with better throw I can order the HI later and keep both.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies and the video!

Yes, the HI version has noticeably more intense hotspot in the video, but I think the regular version is better for allround use. Anyway my regular version is already shipped and I am sure I will be pleased with it. I think the beam profile will be similar as the beam of SC5w, just much brighter/much better runtime for similar brightness level. If I then feel that I want the same light with better throw I can order the HI later and keep both.

I feel that if one needs more throw (more than that from a general beam [under 10k CD], but not as extreme as from a dedicated thrower) there are better alternatives than the HI anyways.

I often feel that some lights sort of fall in the region of not being good for general use, flooding, or spotting. For example, I have an old eagletac, the P100A2 with xpe. It has the beam profile of a thrower with a small hotspot and wide and dim spill. However, it doesn't have enough power to really throw well for my uses, and its beam profile makes it unsuitable for me for close up or even general applications. It doesn't get used these days.

For me the HI is somewhat like that. It sacrifices the nice wide general beam of the regular version for one that doesn't really throw well enough.

terjee

Enlightened
I often feel that some lights sort of fall in the region of not being good for general use, flooding, or spotting. For example, I have an old eagletac, the P100A2 with xpe. It has the beam profile of a thrower with a small hotspot and wide and dim spill. However, it doesn't have enough power to really throw well for my uses, and its beam profile makes it unsuitable for me for close up or even general applications. It doesn't get used these days.

For me the HI is somewhat like that. It sacrifices the nice wide general beam of the regular version for one that doesn't really throw well enough.

I find the type of light you're describing to often be quite good hiking lights. You don't really need a heavy thrower, you need some light by your feet, and some throw for further ahead, to scan the path you're taking a while further. Definitively agree though, lights perfect for that application are rarely optimal for close range, and they're not heavy throwers.

Amusing enough that I though I should comment; I ordered the HI specifically hoping that it is such a light. :)

Cobraman502

Enlightened
I find the type of light you're describing to often be quite good hiking lights. You don't really need a heavy thrower, you need some light by your feet, and some throw for further ahead, to scan the path you're taking a while further. Definitively agree though, lights perfect for that application are rarely optimal for close range, and they're not heavy throwers.

Amusing enough that I though I should comment; I ordered the HI specifically hoping that it is such a light. :)

This is the case for the HI. in fact I used it last night in the dog park. The lowest high is plenty bright but if I need to spot something farther in the distance it turn on full blast and it works great. The spill on high low is perfect for walking at twilight. I really enjoy the light. Hoping for an SC64w with the new UI. Zebralight said they will make one but didn't get a date for production yet.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel that if one needs more throw (more than that from a general beam [under 10k CD], but not as extreme as from a dedicated thrower) there are better alternatives than the HI anyways.

Yes, and actually I feel that it's a bit exaggerated to call it a pocket thrower. It will have some decent throw due to the raw output but it is not a thrower anyway by definition. The runtime will be very short at the highest level and it will very soon be hot, also the brightness will step down. Since a while I have dreamed about a dedicated Zebralight thrower. Why not a SC600 option with twice as large reflector? Then it should be a true thrower!

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, and actually I feel that it's a bit exaggerated to call it a pocket thrower. It will have some decent throw due to the raw output but it is not a thrower anyway by definition. The runtime will be very short at the highest level and it will very soon be hot, also the brightness will step down. Since a while I have dreamed about a dedicated Zebralight thrower. Why not a SC600 option with twice as large reflector? Then it should be a true thrower!
A key feature virtually all Zebralights share is their compact pocketable size. An SC600 with a double-size head wouldn't be compact or pocketable.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The one flashlight I still crave is a thrower small enough to put in my pocket but with some spill. I Don't like the pinpoint aspheric square beam with no spill at all. A modern LX2 type light could do the job but Surefire won't build one for me. A 1+ inch head is too wide for me to comfortably pocket carry. Others are too heavy to pocket carry.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the best cell for the SC600 MkIII in any variant is still the unprotected flat top GA that ZL also sells on their site. Sure there are higher voltage flat tops, higher amp flat tops but those cells at best are 3100mah and expensive. When I ordered my copy of the SC600 MkIII XHP35 HI NW as well as the flat top Sanyo 3500mah 10 amp unprotected GA cell off the ZL site ZL sent the cell already inside the light which was very cool.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A key feature virtually all Zebralights share is their compact pocketable size. An SC600 with a double-size head wouldn't be compact or pocketable.

Yes, that's true.

The one flashlight I still crave is a thrower small enough to put in my pocket but with some spill. I Don't like the pinpoint aspheric square beam with no spill at all. A modern LX2 type light could do the job but Surefire won't build one for me. A 1+ inch head is too wide for me to comfortably pocket carry. Others are too heavy to pocket carry.

It's obvious that Zebralight has never intended to get into the thrower section(and this HI option is not an attempt to do it, just an offer for providing a bit more reach).
If so they had offered at least some XP-G(2) version with smooth reflector(if I am not wrong, I am not aware of such a light from Zebralight).
In opposite to Zebralight Fenix has persisted not to use XM-L(2) in any of their 1AA flashlights. I don't know the reason.