Zebralight SC600w Mk III HI - Pocket Thrower

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
just thought Id mention that I ordered the MkIII HI 5 days ago. I just inquired about when delivery will happen their answer: 3-16 days. Oooookay I can wait but I also inquired about it the day after I ordered it and they said 3-5 days. I now realistically expect the light(and the flat top Sanyo for it) to show up in mid April. No biggie I still got the MkII to carry around for some awesome short range flood...

Insulator Collector

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post to this forum outside the "Introductions" category. I have some questions about the SC600w Mk III, so I hope I'm asking in the appropriate thread.

I too have just discovered the SC600w Mk III is on backorder (rats). While I wait, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a specific unprotected flat top battery (brand) for this particular light?

I also see this light offered in a "high intensity" version, which (after reading this thread) I understand has increased throw and a tighter more focused central beam. I suppose it ultimately comes down to preference. But I am curious to hear what others have to say about the relative advantages or disadvantages of the high-intensity version over the "regular" version.

Thanks in advance for any of your Zebralight battery recommendations and other advice. I have other more general questions about batteries and chargers that I will post in the appropriate forum.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
For battery the 18650ga with red wrapper, like the one sold on Zebralights website, is a good battery with great capacity and 10amps continuous draw. More than enough to handle the demands of this light. As far as the HI version if you want a little extra throw I would go with that one, however if you prefer a slightly floodier beam the regular MK3 should do. Also the HI version only comes in neutral white whereas the other version in cool white and neutral. I decided to go with the MK3 HI version since I have the SC62w and 63w lights and wanted more distinction between the floody beam they offer and the increased throw of the HI version.

jak

Enlightened
Got a shipping notice for this light today. Unfortunately I don't have a non-HI version to compare it to. I will, however, compare it against my SC63w. At this point, the HI will have to really outshine my 63 if it wants to earn its keep. We'll see how much of a difference a HI LED and reflector make...

recDNA

Flashaholic
We need one person with meter who uses the same protocol to check cd of every version. I doubt the HI version adds much throw.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a shipping notice for this light today. Unfortunately I don't have a non-HI version to compare it to. I will, however, compare it against my SC63w. At this point, the HI will have to really outshine my 63 if it wants to earn its keep. We'll see how much of a difference a HI LED and reflector make...

I have the HI and SC63w and the difference in throw is pretty significant. The hotspot is much smaller on the MK3 HI and throw is far better. Judging by other lights I have I would estimate around 16,000cd from the Hi version.

Uxorious

Newly Enlightened

Insulator Collector

Newly Enlightened
Got a shipping notice for this light today. ...

Alas, I noticed yesterday (March 6) on the ZL site that all of the SC600w Mk III models are on backorder. I inquired how long, and here is what they said: "[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Lead time for the SC600w is about 4 weeks IF you place your order now." Needless to say, I placed my order immediately. Looks like I have a month of anticipation [/FONT]:shakehead

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
A dealer nearby has the HI in stock. I am gonna just pull the trigger. Need another Zebra fast.

akhyar

Enlightened
A dealer nearby has the HI in stock. I am gonna just pull the trigger. Need another Zebra fast.

Mine sharing, here or through PM, which dealer is it?

P/s: Nevermind,
Saw the post at his webstore :D
Just sold my Jetbeam C8 to my BIL, which coincidentally was bought from the same dealer

Last edited:

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine sharing, here or through PM, which dealer is it?

P/s: Nevermind,
Saw the post at his webstore :D
Just sold my Jetbeam C8 to my BIL, which coincidentally was bought from the same dealer

Good for you. I just ordered mine from fstoplights several minutes ago. :D

jondextan

Newly Enlightened
So, for a flaslight newb who's looking for his first light and is considering the MkIII, is the HI the recommended choice among the three available? (Regardless of purpose, i plan to get an fl for each need i have :) )

ro.ma.

Enlightened
It came from the Nkon shop the sc600w III HI but to my amazement is the same LED as the normal version.
I would be happy to see some photos of the HI LED sc600w.
It should be no dome?

sdr

Newly Enlightened
I'm still on the fence because, to date, I have yet to see any head to head comparisons between this High Intensity version and the regular SC600 Mk III. Since I already have the Mk III I can't really justify buying the HI other than just to say I have it. If someone can show me some side by side comp shots that prove convincingly that the HI significantly out throws a reg. Mk III then I think I'll just keep my cash in my pocket.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still on the fence because, to date, I have yet to see any head to head comparisons between this High Intensity version and the regular SC600 Mk III. Since I already have the Mk III I can't really justify buying the HI other than just to say I have it. If someone can show me some side by side comp shots that prove convincingly that the HI significantly out throws a reg. Mk III then I think I'll just keep my cash in my pocket.
I am in the same boat as you are. The only advantage of the 'SC 600 Mk lll Hi' would be in throw, and if I need a light for that reason I would use a larger head light specifically designed for the purpose of throw.

markr6

Flashaholic
The SC600III was just another basic light for me. I sold it and was satisfied with the SC63w. But the extra throw with the SC600 HI is just a bonus. Don't look at it as a thrower; like sidecross mentioned you want a dedicated light for that. The SC600 HI provides a little extra oomph without being a laserpointer thrower. Still a nice general light but with a stronger hotspot. I'm really looking forward to it. And when the floodier SC600Fd Plus comes out, that will be once nice pair leaving the standard SC600III out of the game.

sdr

Newly Enlightened
Of course. And, yes, I already have my "dedicated thrower" in a v. 2.5 Predator Pro. But *IF* the HI Mk III was in any way significantly better than the regular Mk III that I already have, then, I would be interested. So far no one has been able to provide any evidence that would support that proposition for me. I'm a numbers guy and less lumens has me somewhat leary. That's where I'm coming from.

And this from ZL's own description of the HI raises more questions than it answers:

Beam Type
  • 80 degree spill
  • ? degree hot spot

Latest posts