Zebralight SC600w Mk III HI - Pocket Thrower

drummer132132

Enlightened
Any body notice this behavior on their Low Beacon mode?
Depending on if your light was last on L1 (3.3 Lumen) or L2 (0.37 Lumen) the beacon will either be bright or dim, respectively.
A little annoying when I'm not expecting that much light, but not too much to be an inconvenience.
Just an observation while playing with the light. Which I've been doing pretty much every day.

Also, I spoke too soon on the dented battery. Dropped my light head first the other day from about 2-3 feet and left a slight dent in one of my NCR's.

Just tested my low beacon after using L1 and L2. Can confirm the same thing. After turning off the light from L1 and then triple click to get to low beacon mode it's a brighter beacon. After turning off the light in L2 (I have it set for lowest setting) it's a super dim beacon. Not sure if intended but if I had to guess probably not. Doesn't affect me since I never use beacon but then again I've never had to yet.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any body notice this behavior on their Low Beacon mode?
Depending on if your light was last on L1 (3.3 Lumen) or L2 (0.37 Lumen) the beacon will either be bright or dim, respectively.
A little annoying when I'm not expecting that much light, but not too much to be an inconvenience.
Just an observation while playing with the light. Which I've been doing pretty much every day.

Also, I spoke too soon on the dented battery. Dropped my light head first the other day from about 2-3 feet and left a slight dent in one of my NCR's.

That is the correct operation. Low beacon comes on at the last low brightness used.

Witterings

Enlightened
Has anybody got one of these and the Nitecore MH20Gt and if so any comparisons you can make between the two of them ... especially the differences in their beam pattern ???

markr6

Flashaholic
If I may, here's a quicker comparison using mhalen's video...

SC600HI_MH20.gif

Witterings

Enlightened
Excellent ... thank you both ... very useful!!!!

Certainly the NC does appear more focused so I guess which one is better will really depend what you want to use them for ... does anybody use either as a bicycle light, I'm guessing the Zebra would probably be better as you don't need to zoom out way in front.

markr6

Flashaholic
Excellent ... thank you both ... very useful!!!!

Certainly the NC does appear more focused so I guess which one is better will really depend what you want to use them for ... does anybody use either as a bicycle light, I'm guessing the Zebra would probably be better as you don't need to zoom out way in front.

Possibly, but you don't want to blind anyone either. It would probably be a good idea to point it down a bit and mask some of the top with tape to block that spill on either of these lights.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
be careful about using these things as bike lights. Been a couple threads about this I think. Medium output would all you would really need.

PeterRamish

Newly Enlightened
be careful about using these things as bike lights. Been a couple threads about this I think. Medium output would all you would really need.

Yes, using the beams on Zebras as a bike light is fraught with issues. See a purpose built light.
http://www.fenix-store.com/bike-lights/

On that site you will see many beam shots. The Zebras will NOT give you that type pattern. Also I note that Fenix does include STOBE mode on their bike lights, but the use of strobes is, in my estimation, very questionable and might even been illegal in some states. we probably best not high-jack this thread too much on this subject, as recently a discussion like this got moved to the CPF Bicycle forum. You might go over there for further discussion. See: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?86-Bicycle

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 8.50.19 AM.jpg

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes the new Fenix bike light is pretty impressive. There is a bike/walking trail that goes from Mt.Vernon Va where I live directly along the Potomac Rivers edge and goes into Maryland. Lots of accidents all the time people literally try to set speed records along the wooded trail at 2 in the morning miss a slight turn and wind up dead. Just walking along the trail towards dark the MkIII HI is my friend I of course do not try to blind the oncoming psycho speed bike riders I point the light at the ground on max as I try to make my way to my fishing spots

msim

Enlightened
using the beams on Zebras as a bike light is fraught with issues.

I've used my SC600w Mk II as a bike light before and it was fantastic. I've also used a neutral XM-L2 P60 setup. The beams are really fantastic for bike usage... nice amount a flood to see what's around you and still enough throw to see what's coming. I don't think that I would prefer to use my Mark III Hi as a first choice, but I've used some XP-G2 lights that have similar hotspots and it wasn't bad.

Sure, 2 lights or something with two beams might help, but I definitely wouldn't say using the Zebralight or similar lights are 'fraught with issues.

tops2

Enlightened
I've used my SC600w Mk II as a bike light before and it was fantastic. I've also used a neutral XM-L2 P60 setup. The beams are really fantastic for bike usage... nice amount a flood to see what's around you and still enough throw to see what's coming. I don't think that I would prefer to use my Mark III Hi as a first choice, but I've used some XP-G2 lights that have similar hotspots and it wasn't bad.

Sure, 2 lights or something with two beams might help, but I definitely wouldn't say using the Zebralight or similar lights are 'fraught with issues.

I did remember seeing another thread with a newer member mentioning using Zebralight as a bike light and everyone was saying how it can be dangerous. Maybe the main issue is (the spill) blinding other on coming traffic/bikes/people and not as much for the bicyclist using the Zebralight?

markr6

Flashaholic
Possibly, but you don't want to blind anyone either. It would probably be a good idea to point it down a bit and mask some of the top with tape to block that spill on either of these lights.

I did remember seeing another thread with a newer member mentioning using Zebralight as a bike light and everyone was saying how it can be dangerous. Maybe the main issue is (the spill) blinding other on coming traffic/bikes/people and not as much for the bicyclist using the Zebralight?

Yes, see above

Witterings

Enlightened

Firstly .... really didn't mean to hijack a thread as it was a specific question about this lights usability and what it may or may not be appropriate for but of a mod feels my question should be removed for any reason then please do!!

I wouldn't use it on high, it'd probably be at the 139 or possibly the 312 setting and would be pointed down and slightly towards the left / kerb (I'm UK based :) ) ... but maybe the spill is too wide.

I currently use zoomies which give a focused light without much spill but their run time at reasonable output (250 approx) doesn't come close to this and hence my interest .. that said I may be better off with a designated cycling light and using this for a multitude of other things.

msim

Enlightened

The main concern in that thread was using the Strobe mode while using it as a bike light.

Ok, back on topic. I love my SC600W III Hi :)

Ti²C

Newly Enlightened
I finally put my hands on one, I was hesitant at the idea of having many copies of the "same" flashlight but I had to try the new xhp led.

YTzf9ps.jpg
jRwhOiQ.jpg

Last edited:

ncristia

Newly Enlightened
Can someone please tell me how to get this light back to default of starting on high.
Thank you.