Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fet+1 driver kills it for me.

In practice though, the 7 LEDs might compensate for the ineffocient driver.

Most people looking at Zebralights, want them for their regulated output. FET drivers, with their dimming output as the battery voltage drops, will probably disappoint. And, yes, there's the efficiency problem with FET drivers, and the linear 7135 driver that's part of the FET+1 design.

Those FET+1 drivers make for nice budget lights, but they don't really belong in a $50+ light, IMO.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh I think they're fine for small lights, that don't have enough surface area to manage high output for very long, where the longer sustained runtime of lower outputs don't overheat the host.

NPL

Enlightened
Good point,never thought of it that way. Hopefully the sc700d's bigger head will help she'd more heat.

The beauty of the ZL is that if used in cold weather with wind, example on a bike, the sustained output will be seen even if the light is relatively small.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh I think they're fine for small lights, that don't have enough surface area.

The problem for me with them is that the outputs I'd like most are somewhere near the limits, like 200-300lm from the mkIV. That's just where the non regulated drivers are the least efficient. I'm happy to have the Emisar D4 and D4S, but I wouldn't have paid $100+ for them. I do have to wonder if a much higher frequency FET with an output filter couldn't act like a bad buck converter. It's not the regulation I care about so much as the efficiency. And not so much for needing the extra hour of runtime in any practical situation but just wanting good technology in the driver. Well, also, less heat from the driver so the sustainable max lumens will be higher.

markr6

Flashaholic
Getting closer! This long wait wasn't as bad as I thought. Still crossing my fingers for an early ship...like next week!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, this one has my interest. But, I've set a limit of only 2 new Zebralights per year, and I've already bought 3 this year, so....?

Definitely going to check out the reviews and real user-specs on this one. I'm interested in knowing whether it's a Plus killer, which I bought this summer. I know it's not going to have perfect tint, but neither does the Plus with its 50.2 domed emitter. I find the Plus has decent tint, which is all I hoped for.

markr6

Flashaholic
My Plus had a nasty yellow tint, so the bar is set low. But the 5000K on this shouldn't be yellow...but bring on the green and purple?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Plus had a nasty yellow tint, so the bar is set low. But the 5000K on this shouldn't be yellow...but bring on the green and purple?

I don't find the Plus is too yellow. A touch of yellow/green in the corona, like most domed Crees, but acceptable. IIRC, I think I posted this beam shot in another thread of the MkIV Plus (auto white balance, auto exposure):

lQSKxH0.jpg

In any case, my expectation for the SC700d isn't any better. The 70.2 emitter seems worse for color shift than even the 50.2.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a Pila IBC charger?

I'm assuming it won't work because an 18650 is as big (long) as the ports get. And 21700 are longer than 18650s, yes?

Yeah, that charger won't be any good for the longer 21700 cells. There are many recent chargers that do support 21700's, but they're still going to be a very tight fit in most of them. Protected button-top 18650's are almost as long as a flat-top unprotected 21700. If you have a charger that easily fits a protected 18650, then it will probably work for a 21700.

ProblemChild

Newly Enlightened
What about a Pila IBC charger?

I'm assuming it won't work because an 18650 is as big (long) as the ports get. And 21700 are longer than 18650s, yes?

21700's are longer than 1860's. I have a Xtar Dragon VP4 that will fit a 21700 snug. The main issue is, obviously, that you dont destroy your battery wrappers trying to get the battery out of the charger.

Prototype3a

Newly Enlightened
I really hope Zebralight makes a SC700fd.

Searching around some, I'm a little surprised there aren't more 21700 lights on the market but I've also been watching the development of this cell for several years now.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, Zebralight now lists the Samsung INR21700-40T 4000mAh 30A 21700 below the SC700d ("related items").
That could be an indication that a 10A cell is not enough for this flashlight.

I'd estimate that 10A is about what this light will use. If you figure about 100 lumens/W on max, that's 30W of power. With a low battery around 3V, 10A would be required to get you to the 30W needed. Less for a full battery.

But a 10A cell is probably going to suffer from a lot more voltage sag than a 30A cell, so in the end the total Wh out of the batteries may be the same.

I think if you're not going to be using max much, then the higher capacity cell may be better. Otherwise, may as well go with the high-drain cell.

But why would anyone get this light on not use it on max much?

markr6

Flashaholic
I don't use any of my ZL on max. I buy them primarily for the UI and compact size. Lots of nice options to choose from as well. The most any light sees on max is the SC600w HI, since that's pretty much my "mini thrower". But even then it's usually short periods of time, as in seconds, to scan in the distance.

But if you do, PID is what's great about them. You can trust that they'll throttle down instead of those "project" lights that just get stupid hot and kill batteries in no time.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because you CAN'T. I guarantee you the light will heat up VERY fast on H1, and quickly power back as the PID does its thing.

If it's like the SC600w MkIV Plus, you have about a minute or two before it starts to ramp down. I suspect it will be in that ballpark. But, the SC700d sounds like a killer bicycle light, which is what I use the Plus for. On a cool night with the wind from cycling, I can run the Plus continuously at 2300 lumens and it doesn't ramp down. Well, until about 30 minutes, when the battery starts to die. Then it's just boom... down to low.

These bright lights, like the Plus and the HI, are just too fun not to use on max. Yeah, okay, it's totally not needed, but I didn't spend $100 on a light just to use it at 50 lumens all the time. That's like buying a Ferrari and only driving it at 10mph.