Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

NPL

Enlightened
NPL, Acebeam has a 21700 battery @ 5100mAh (with 20A discharge capability). I would think Zebralight could source their own cell. This is very comparable, and in a smaller form factor, to a 26650. I'm all for the 21700 format myself. It will be interesting to see this light once it is released.
That capacity is very impressive, although I have to ask if it has been tested. The best 26650 cells are topping out at 6000mah in tests and cells that claim more usually test significantly lower. If a 21700 battery opens up new opportunities for technological advancements in cells that can't be applied to the 18650 format, then I suppose I would have to reconsider.

With technology evolution usually translating to better battery capacity, more efficient drivers and better LEDs, the one factor that hopefully remains constant is the total size of the flashlight. I would personally prefer to keep the lights as compact as possible and let other technological advancements give me better runtimes, more lumens, throw, etc. as oppose to jumping to a larger battery size. All a matter of personal opinion though.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've not had a problem with tint in the Hi-CRI Cree emitters of both my SC52d and H604c. I know it is a lottery, so your mileage may vary. As long as 21700s will fit in my Pila charger, I may consider this latest offering.

markr6

Flashaholic
On several occasions ZL mentioned no Nichia due to "sourcing issues". I'm not sure if that simply means the price isn't right for them, or some other logistical reason. But with all the other manufacturers and even "basement" manufacturers using them, I can't image it would have to do with availability.

insanefred

Enlightened
On several occasions ZL mentioned no Nichia due to "sourcing issues". I'm not sure if that simply means the price isn't right for them, or some other logistical reason. But with all the other manufacturers and even "basement" manufacturers using them, I can't image it would have to do with availability.

What if Zebralight is in that gray area? Too small to order thousands like bigger companies that can, but too big to order just a few.Iamthinkingthiscouldbethesititionforalotofflashlightmakers.

markr6

Flashaholic
What if Zebralight is in that gray area? Too small to order thousands like bigger companies that can, but too big to order just a few.Iamthinkingthiscouldbethesititionforalotofflashlightmakers.

I don't know for sure, but I think they come on rolls of 100 or 500, something like that. Either way, that would seem suitable.

Bob_McBob

Newly Enlightened
Nichia generally requires full reel orders, so I can at least appreciate why Zebralight might not want to buy 1500 144As for what could potentially be a niche offering. However, the Samsung LH351D is extremely efficient and readily available inexpensively in practically any quantity. It would be a huge improvement over the ugly Cree used in the SC64c. I fully expect yet another generation of Cree lights that are impossible to emitter swap though. High CRI doesn't mean much to me if the light is puke green or pissy yellow.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
High CRI doesn't mean much to me if the light is puke green or pissy yellow.

Good point. Even after all these years, I often see "95 CRI" on paper and figure it's a sure thing. When I get the light, I'm sometimes disappointed by a yellowish cast...no better than a basic 80CRI IMO. You can tell the CRI is a little better, but usually overcome by the ugly tint so it doesn't really matter.

I hope this new Zebralight is different, but more likely a gamble.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZL has responded to this years ago saying that 1. Crees tint deviations are generally closer to the BBL than Nichias on paper(although we all know Nichias look better in real life since they go below the BBL line instead of above like the Crees do),

This is a topic Zebralight might find worthwhile to revisit, given the results of Maukka's test of an SC64c showing the tint across the entire beam profile was outside the claimed 2-step quadrangle.

For what it's worth, Armytek also said they had trouble sourcing Nichia 144's for a special edition Wizard, although the last word is they ultimately did find some.

I don't know what volume Zebralight sells, but given their popularity, I tend to assume most or all of their models sell a few thousand copies per year, which depending on the manufacturer and model, I think should mean several reels worth.

Digikey says they offer non-stocked bins of XP-L2's in full reel minimum quantities of 500. Nichia says the 144A comes in reels of 1500, and the 219C in reels of 3500.

What does Nichia or anyone else offer that's roughly comparable to an XHP70?

TCY

Enlightened
qgvcXs0.jpg

ZGB9sZr.jpg

I sense MKV lights...

Enlightened
I've not had a problem with tint in the Hi-CRI Cree emitters of both my SC52d and H604c. I know it is a lottery, so your mileage may vary. As long as 21700s will fit in my Pila charger, I may consider this latest offering.
The SC52d is actually a Luxeon emitter.

moozooh

Enlightened
After thinking about it some more, I've come to a conclusion that it most likely won't be a >3000lm light. The reason is that the 90+ CRI versions of the 5000K XHP70.2 start at the brightness bin M4, and based on what I read in Cree's datasheets and the PCT, it can only squeeze out 3000-ish lm when pushed to the very limit of its spec (which is 29W), and only for a short time before thermal resistance (and/or PID on the light's side) effects kick in. So expect a 2800–3000lm figure as H1 peak brightness.

The more interesting question is what brightness it will stabilize at when it reaches the temperature target. Starting with mk. II, the SC600 series typically stabilized at around 6W fed to the LED (I believe the temperature target has been around 50°C/120°F all along). The dimensions of the light and its surface area haven't really changed since then, so this should still hold true for every subsequent SC600. The H2 runtimes on mk. IV Plus indirectly confirm that. Now the SC700 is a whole another beast with what I expect to be ~1/3 larger surface area and mass, both of which help with dissipation proportionately, so it could potentially stabilize at 8–9W, meaning you'd see as much as 1100–1200lm on H1/H2A sustained (at least in favorable conditions) until it runs out of juice, which is in about two hours for a 18.5 Wh battery. Considering one of my most common usage scenarios for the SC600 is a bike lamp, where sustained usage numbers are more important than the peak, this is definitely potentially good news for me. But do note that it's just ballpark estimates based on cross-referencing whatever information is available, not even napkin math level, so take all of it with a grain of salt.

I have also sent a few questions regarding the UI and the battery to the sales dept, will post here when they respond.

The SC52d is actually a Luxeon emitter.
...And the other one is a mule, whereas the problems only arise with reflectors. So naturally there should be no problems with either. :p

Last edited:

NPL

Enlightened
1000+ sustained lumens of 90 CRI light with good tint and I think they are onto something!

markr6

Flashaholic
1000+ sustained lumens of 90 CRI light with good tint and I think they are onto something!

I like it! I am pretty much over the "showoff" modes on lights these days. The 'good tint' part...makes me nervous.

Keitho

Enlightened
...it could potentially stabilize at 8–9W, meaning you'd see as much as 1100–1200lm on H1/H2A sustained (at least in favorable conditions) until it runs out of juice, which is in about two hours for a 18.5 Wh battery. Considering one of my most common usage scenarios for the SC600 is a bike lamp

Exactly why I'm excited about it (very thoughtful and useful post, moozooh). It will be a horse race between my new Fireflies ROT66 3x18650 and a much smaller/lighter SC700 for a high CRI handlebar light. Here's hoping that ZL updates the UI to include a bike flashing mode rather than just a disco strobe. I might even be able to convince my wife to switch to a nice high-CRI light on her handlebar, if I program the ZL to be a "1 mode" light for her and show her that it can last a couple hours.

Boy am I glad the days are getting shorter--more time to play with a nice crop of high CRI goodness!

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
R9080 Nichias will eat the high CRI Cree alive. :p

Except for luminous efficacy at lower currents though, XHP70.2 is a beast at that.

majid

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight new 21700 flashlight

BIG +1 i talked to an employee a couple of years ago and he mentioned they were going to be making more parts in texas, would be amazing if they could be a made in usa company
With the Trump tariffs, they may have no choice. I don't think a 21700 will replace the SC600 series, the 18650 battery is too entrenched (flashlight enthusiasts, Tesla, laptop batteries, USB battery packs, vapes), probably second in popularity only to AA/AAA (and I suspect ahead of 9V batteries) as a form factor.

majid

Newly Enlightened
Since ZL is known not to go overboard with lumens/heat .. what's the best 21700 to use in this light? Assuming 20A or less current.

I take it you have never held a SC600FcIV+ then. At the 2000lm turbo setting it gets uncomfortably hot within 30 seconds.

Last edited:

Connor

Enlightened
I take it you have never held a SC600FcIV+ then. At the 2000lm turbo setting it gets uncomfortably hot within 30 seconds.

Yes, I have a SC600Fd IV Plus - it's probably my favourite flashlight.
I take it you never held an Emisar D4 or D4s, then? :) Because that's what I would call going overboard in the lumen/heat department. ZL is rather tame and well managed in comparison.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I take it you never held an Emisar D4 or D4s, then? :) Because that's what I would call going overboard in the lumen/heat department. ZL is rather tame and well managed in comparison.

I was going to say the exact same thing! ZL pushes it a bit, but not what I would call overboard.