Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

markr6

Flashaholic
I don't feel a desperate desire of getting a 21700 light because there are already 18650 and 26650 battery format but I find it interesting because it's a Zebralight. :popcorn:

Same here. It was different enough to justify, not just an updated Zebralight. I like my Emisar D4S, but even after using that a while then picking up a ZL, they just feel better (ergonomics and UI)

likethevegetable

Enlightened
I contacted ZebraLight about any other 2170 releases this year and they replied: "No other 21700 cell based lights (H, SC, ...) in the near future."

archimedes

Flashaholic
@Nichia! please consider this a warning

@Dio and @moozooh please do not address or respond to @Nichia! any more in this thread

All others, please ignore

Thank you

mildlyangryjohnny

Newly Enlightened
I contacted ZebraLight about any other 2170 releases this year and they replied: "No other 21700 cell based lights (H, SC, ...) in the near future."

I asked about rollout for any mk5 pieces and was told, "probably right before the end of next year." Has anyone heard anything different?

markr6

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, I just got rid of my 21700 compatible charger in favour of a Pila IBC, so I'll have to sit this one out.

Unprotected 21700s should fit in mine. If not, it will be alligator clips and a clamp; magnets if I'm feeling refined!

markr6

Flashaholic
Illumn.com has a super cheap USB magnetic end charger/power bank that will fit any size.

I thought about my Olight charger, but it only does 750mA. The Folomov A1 you mention does 1amp, so that's starting to make more sense for a cell this large (4000mAH+)

I'm pretty sure the 40T cell will fit my Opus 3100. I saw someone post a photo online...I'm just not sure how easily it going in/out.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Having a serious internal debate if I should wait for this SC700d or just get an SC600w IV Plus, or maybe the HI right now instead!

Obviously, the ideal answer in an ideal world is to get both, but my funds are limited. With a new cell or two, I'd be looking at 35-45 CAD and an 8 mm wider bezel extra for the SC700d, so it boils down to: is that extra 700 lumens and the allure of a light that uses the cell of the future worth it?

My primary use case would be walks in the woods and a bike light that I would pocket after. This would be my first straight angle ZL. I currently use my BLF A6 for cycling, and although it's great, it does get pretty hot and it's just not a ZL. My GF is in need of a higher powered bike light so I would give it to her pending the upgrade.

It seems like ZL offers free shipping to Canada again.. is this correct?

If anyone here has an SC600w IV Plus and is considering an SC700d and would kindly share their 2¢, your opinions are appreciated.

Thanks for that comparison GIF markr6, just wondering, did you attempt to scale it or is that just a snapshot from ZL's site? I could count pixels, but I'd rather ask, hah.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for that comparison GIF markr6, just wondering, did you attempt to scale it or is that just a snapshot from ZL's site? I could count pixels, but I'd rather ask, hah.

Both images from ZL site and layered in photoshop. I match the cap/body diameter exactly then just added a little to get that 3mm difference. So close enough but not perfect.

I finally tried the SC600w IV Plus and the tint was pretty nasty yellow. So I'm sticking with my SC64w and SC600w IV HI for now. I did purchase the SC700d, but only out of curiosity and that it was something new vs. just another updated light. The size is now way beyond pocketability for me, so it will be more of a novelty...maybe something I'll actually use around home. But honestly, I don't need this kind of output often. The SC64/600 is plenty.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I used my SC62w as "yard duty" for years... I finally upgraded to the SC600 IV Plus and at first I wasn't impressed (high expectations) but it has really grown on me and I use it frequently now... and when I go back to something like the SC62w, I am reminded of how nice the super-wide hotspot on the Plus is for walking around the yard.

I am considering the SC700 because size isn't really a concern for "yard duty"... but I am not sure what the beam will be like compared to the Plus and if it will provide any significant benefit... battery capacity isn't really an issue for my use either because every time I check it, my Sanyo GA is over 50%.

I have been happy with the tint of the Plus... the tint-shift and "purple ring" that I think is from bezel reflection is annoying when there is snow covering the ground, but otherwise I don't notice it. The only real negative for me is that the light does get hot pretty quick on H1.

I would say that if you need something and can start using it right away, get the IV Plus or the HI, depending on what is more important: flood or distance.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys. I kinda put the HI there as an afterthought, I really love flood so the plus would be a no brainer.

I'll have to really exercise some self discipline here folks.. you know the struggle.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input guys. I kinda put the HI there as an afterthought, I really love flood so the plus would be a no brainer.

I'll have to really exercise some self discipline here folks.. you know the struggle.

The Plus and the HI make great complimentary lights. One is great for flood, the other good for throw. When I cycle, I use the Plus as my headlight, and I carry the HI for spotting things further up the trail (like animals).

Enlightened
I'm surprised they grew the head diameter. I was expecting that they would keep the same or similar reflector and lens diameter, and just grow the battery tube. I still threw my wallet at the pre order...poor thing didn't deserve that kind of abuse...
That's probably the disappointing part for me. I was curious what form a 21700 light from ZL would take and thought they could grow the tube from their SC6x/SC6XX lights. Perhaps the more slender version will come in a future SC70d.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's probably the disappointing part for me. I was curious what form a 21700 light from ZL would take and thought they could grow the tube from their SC6x/SC6XX lights. Perhaps the more slender version will come in a future SC70d.

Without a larger reflector, the light would probably be too floody. The XHP70.2 emitter produces a ton of flood if it's not controlled in a largish reflector. The SC600w Plus, with a XHP50.2, is already very floody. Stick a 70.2 in the same size reflector, and you may as well put a frosted lens on it.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even with the 70.2 in the large L6 reflector, I think it's rather floody. The sheer amount of flood to this light might work to lessen any possible tint shift within the beam.

Fireflies just teased an upcoming product that has pretty much the same dimensions, actually even a little bit shorter, than the SC700D. Powered by 1 21700, and 7x optics. I can already vouch for the performance of the SST20 4000k leds, especially with minus green filters over them. Good times to be a flashlight fan, two great options for compact 21700 lights.

Last edited:

holygeez03

Enlightened
I realize that we won't know for sure until the light is in poeple's hands... but can we expect the SC700 to have a lower lux than the SC600IV Plus based on the output, emitter size, and reflector?