Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That dark gray is a must for me after getting pretty much every ZL in that color. The only one I have that is lighter is the old SC52w from 2013, and even then it's darker than this 700 was.

You would absolutely hate my SC52. It's at least two shades lighter than my SC52w. It doesn't really have any color to it, though, mostly just a medium/light grey.

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
If mine is dark when it arrives, I'm hapy to trade it to Markr6 with whatever shade he gets.

NPL

Enlightened
What other lights do you guys own that you think this SC700d will replace or render inferior?

P220C

Newly Enlightened
For me, the SC600 is already bigger than I can comfortably pocket carry. With larger cell phones, I've simply run out of pocket room. On paper at least, the size difference between the SC600 and SC700 would seem hardly noticible in the hand or bag. The extra runtime of the 21700 is a side benefit - the higher sustained output is why this light is on my list for 2019.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'll render most lights I have inferior, but replace none of them: they're a collection of curiosities more than a set of useful devices.

Apart from comparisons, it will be hard to find a reason to use the SC600 lights. The SC6x and 5x have clips so those are more pocketable. I can't stand the snap-on SC600 clips so those are all still in the box. The ZLs in general render just about every other light inferior, except maybe the Emisar D4S.

As for anodize, I'm happy with anything in the range ZL's been doing since the SC51 and SC60 days when I got my first ones up to the very dark SC53 SC64. The dark is an interesting change from the light grey with _maybe_ a hint of green, but I wouldn't call it "better," personally.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
What other lights do you guys own that you think this SC700d will replace or render inferior?
I don't really see the SC700d replacing any of my current lights, but rather having joined the ranks as more of an all purpose around the house the light.

Here's how I see it fitting in with my other ZL lights:

SC52w: Honestly, I don't use this one that much, because it's not that much smaller than my SC62w, but I do like having at least one AA light in the house.

SC62w
: I really appreciate the small form factor of this light, giving me all the power and run time of an 18650 cell, along with the versatility of the ZL UI, all in a small pocket friendly size, meaning there's never a reason to leave home without it. I use this as my during-the-day EDC, just to have it in my pocket for those time I need a light to see inside somewhere where it's dark (under a seat in the bus or in an engine compartment), or to have if my day job ends up going over into a night job (which happens frequently).

SC600w MkIV+: My main work light for night work (which is my main job). Bigger than the SC62w, but still pocketable, and it is brighter for those times I need that kind of reach, and I really enjoy it's broader hotspot which makes reading a book in the car more enjoyable while I'm waiting for guests to eat dinner, etc. (I'm a chauffeur).

SC700d
: My around the house all purpose light, with great runtime at higher outputs and extreme brightness when needed, with the added bonus of still being small enough to fit in a jacket pocket and able to go as low as I'll ever need, all in one small light. I'll probably use this when going for walks at night (easy to hold and operate with gloves on), or going down to the beach at sunset.

So, all-in-all, I think the SC700d makes a nice addition to my little little herd : )

markr6

Flashaholic
So can it really be true that only a few people got this light so far? Or did a bunch of non-CPF people order and get them first? I would have thought we'd have dozens of pics/reviews by now.

I like to think they sent me a prototype...so the next one I get will have the "real" dark gray anodizing :)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Derek Dean,

I very much reason like you when it comes to the different Zebralights. Now I think SC700d is what is missing in my collection. That means I will need another more charger but that's not a big problem..

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine yesterday. I like it. It does not replace my 600Fd III plus. The anodizing is a lighter color, similar to some earlier models, yes i prefer the darker anodizing. I prefer the smooth beam from a frosted lens, i hope they make it with a frosted lens. The color temp is warmer than my 600FdIII+ I'm pretty sure, but i need more tests at different levels. The beam has more rings than typical for Zebralight, outdoors or after 25ft it likely is fine. I didn't get the chance for an outdoor test yet. It's bright!

justanotherguy

Enlightened
Derek Dean,

I very much reason like you when it comes to the different Zebralights. Now I think SC700d is what is missing in my collection. That means I will need another more charger but that's not a big problem..
You could always hack the enclosure to fit the 21700

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Derek Dean,

I forgot to include a very nice use for this light, and that's as my bed side table light, for use navigating in dim light, or for when I need to see very bright very quickly. It's so cool having both extremes available in one light.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to include a very nice use for this light, and that's as my bed side table light, for use navigating in dim light, or for when I need to see very bright very quickly. It's so cool having both extremes available in one light.

I actually use to have some of my AA Zebralights as a bed side table light!
And SC64c is my constant working pants light which I carry in the side leg pocket together with a pen and a Zeiss miniquick 5x10 monocular. With the switch pointing to the leg it has never turned on accidently, it seems pretty much impossible.

Last edited:

Xenophon

Newly Enlightened
Got an interesting response while being a bit chatty with Zebralight sales. I thought you all might be interested: Apparently, sometime within the next few weeks (who knows what that means) they're going to come out with a 700Fd. I personally love their diffused lights as one thing I use them for is as a photo fill. I also like them indoors as a first choice, whether wandering about or working. Usually. I still intend to get my 700d whenever they can manage to ship it to me...it seems a beautiful beam and I'm greatly looking forward to it, but I at least find it an intriguing option to think about while waiting : )

Also, it looks like things are staying more green for awhile, without question, due to previously mentioned aluminum stock prices in China. No chance on a darker batch coming soon. *shrug* There are so many things that could be a deal breaker for me, but that simply isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Xenophon

Newly Enlightened
Apart from comparisons, it will be hard to find a reason to use the SC600 lights....[clips still in box]

For me personally, I love the 600 clips and the ability to carry reflector up. I often wear mine between my shirt buttons, head out. It's handy when my hands are full, it's quick to turn on, and it doesn't have to compete for pocket space. And when angled a bit between thumb and fingers, I find the light fits in my hand, clip and all, in a very satisfying way.

I've also clipped it into the collar of an Oxford a time or three (and onto various edges), big as it is, when the situation required it.

Yes, it could be argued that it's an odd fashion statement to wear one between one's shirt buttons. But I'm comfortable with my good taste and aesthetic priorities ; )

Last edited:

Mr. LED

Enlightened
For me personally, I love the 600 clips and the ability to carry reflector up. I often wear mine between my shirt buttons, head out. It's handy when my hands are full, it's quick to turn on, and it doesn't have to compete for pocket space. And when angled a bit between thumb and fingers, I find the light fits in my hand, clip and all, in a very satisfying way.

I've also clipped it into the collar of an Oxford a time or three (and onto various edges), big as it is, when the situation required it.

Yes, it could be argued that it's an odd fashion statement to wear one between one's shirt buttons. But I'm comfortable with my good taste and aesthetic priorities ; )

How do you deal with the pocket shredding of the clip against the knurling on the flashlight body? I can't use my SC600 IV HI clip because of this.

Keitho

Enlightened
Received mine yesterday, ordered 20 Oct. My first impression out of the box was, "wow, that thing is huge." For my front pockets, the SC600's are pushing it on size, so I can't see the SC700's ever riding in anything but a cargo pocket or bag of mine. The ano is fine, probably in the "light grey" category.

My intended use is on my bike handlebar, commuting and MTB. I'm looking forward to a runtime test this evening on the way home from work. The beam is beautiful, though I'd prefer 4000K. It is slightly more focused that my SC600Fc, obviously; but, of importance on the bike, there isn't a harsh transition from bright hotspot to spill. I can always use DC fix if I want more diffused, but I'll try tonight without it.

Somewhat related--my Enova Gyrflacon 88 charger worked fine on my Samsung 40T's at 1A, and my new MiBOXER charger worked a peach at 3A.

markr6

Flashaholic
Sounds like a good use on the handlebar. The light weight and short/stocky size should minimize any wobble, depending on whatever kind of mount you use too.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, if I get this one, it will replace the SC600w MkIV Plus I currently use on my bike. I'd definitely want a 5000mAh cell for it, though.