Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mooch has some great battery info. Little different perspective than lygte but he's another guy with serious test equipment. I sent him a couple of bucks to help.

I'll be looking for the 50E2, but with one 40T and two 50E I'm pretty much set unless I get another/more 21700 flashlights.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was time for this light. It shows we don't need the multi-cell S6330 for big output. But if they bring something like it back or the C3, I won't complain.
You won't complain? :laughing:

Come on, I simply couldn't let that slide by :devil:.

carmen

Newly Enlightened
It seems the 700d is very new on the market, but has anyone had time to post beamshots, comparisons etc. yet?

carmen

Newly Enlightened
Pages 12 and 13 of this thread have beamshots I posted compared to my SC600w MkIV+.
Derek, I looked at those pages and found posts by you but no beamshot. Whats the posts number?
Dude, please stop. Your misguided criticism and counterproductive "suggestions" don't contribute to meaningful discussion and aren't really helping anything except making you look like a frustrated person.

1. It was never 4000K. Like Bob_McBob said, all "d" ("daylight") models are 5000K.

2. ZL evidently don't care about producing "killer throwers". They've only made, like, two or three smooth-reflector models in the last 7 years or so I've been following them. They care about producing general-purpose, bright, power-efficient lights. Oslon Black Flat (which is what, 5W max?), unsurprisingly, is a poor fit for any of those—it's only useful for pencil-beam lights which are an extreme niche even among flashlight enthusiasts. I suppose you're free to mod an SC700d, but I'm not sure it sounds quite as enticing as you make it. I'm not even sure it would throw very well with such a shallow reflector.

3. The LED used in this light, 90+ CRI 5000K XHP70.2, has its maximum power draw rated at 29W—you can check it on Cree's site. Under any normal conditions (e.g. not being water-cooled or anything) it can only sustain 3000 lm for several seconds at that power before heating up and being throttled down by the PID controller to begin with. ZL tend to push their LEDs to the limit of the spec, but I don't remember them significantly exceeding it even once. But even if they did, it would still be throttled down to below 3000 instantly—so it would actually spend even less time at a high brightness as it would heat up quicker. It would also hurt battery compatibility and drastically reduce the window of battery charge state at which you can still turn the light on H1 as the side-effect owing to insane voltage sag. Why would they want that? Why would you?

Basically, what all of this suggests is that you want a completely different light from a completely different company, so you might want to visit a completely different thread instead.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a beamshot comparison. Coop is 50-60 ft from the back door. Emisars are 4000K: D4S is the Cree XP-L HI 5D, D4 is Cree XP-G2 S4 5D. Camera 1/25th, f1.8, ISO800, WB5000K.

(click for larger without text)

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my SC700d last Saturday. In the last few days, I have been able to test the light on a hike. And overall, I am quite pleased with it. First and foremost, the tint is pretty much as others here have described it. The hotspot and spill are quite nice. But there IS a rather ugly yellowish green corona. Nothing too objectionable when outdoors. But it is certainly not the perfect tint of, say, my SC600Fc. Even my SC600Fd does LOTS better, perhaps due to the frosted lens. On the other hand, color rendition is quite nice despite this. I particular, the red Christmas Berries and orange soil were rendered quite nicely. I'm not sure what the R9 rating is, but it is not bad.

It goes without saying that this light is BRIGHT. LOTS brighter than, say, an SC600. It also does a remarkable job at maintaining brightness on the higher settings. As others have said, this light is perfectly capable of running indefinitely at the ~1400 lumen H2 setting. This is, of course, largely due to the larger thermal mass and surface area of the bigger light. But it is also possibly due to the higher efficiency of the XHP70.2 vs the XHP50 in the SC600 models. I should also note that the beam is quite nice for the outdoors. It is nice and floody due to the large emitter. But it throws well enough because of its sheer output.

The 21700 form factor is a REAL nice change from 18650 lights. The light may not be as pocket friendly as 18650 lights like the SC600Fc. But it is (at least in my opinion) more HAND friendly than 18650 lights. In a way, it feels more like a C cell Mag or a 26650 light than an 18650 light. And that's a GOOD thing. It's MUCH more comfortable on a long hike. And I am less worried about dropping it due to the more ergonomic size.

Speaking of 21700, another thing I LOVE about this light is the runtime afforded by the larger battery. I can run this light on H2 (~1400 lumens) for a full 1.5 hour hike! And the light STILL has some battery left afterwards. Want to do the same with an 18650? DREAM ON!!! This is a GREAT thing since I no longer have to fumble in the dark with cold hands trying to replace a battery. Speaking of batteries, I am using the 50E. It works just FINE, even on H1. Current draw on H1 is about 8A, which is perfectly within the capabilities of the battery. I see no reason to opt for the 40T over the 50E.

All in all, it is a GREAT light. Tint may not be perfect. But sheer output, color rendition, and beam quality are AWESOME. The form factor is better (in my opinion) than 18650 lights. And the 21700 gives you LOTS of runtime. It is quite possibly one of the best outdoor lights I have ever owned!

Last edited:

burntoshine

Enlightened
How are the Samsung 21700 batteries that Zebralight is selling? Are they pretty decent? Otherwise, does anyone have a recommendation on batteries for this light?

I just picked up a Nitecore UMS2 charger. It seems like a great little charger so far.

I haven't bought a light in a while, but this one has my attention.

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
How are the Samsung 21700 batteries that Zebralight is selling? Are they pretty decent? Otherwise, does anyone have a recommendation on batteries for this light?

There's a good exchange quite a few pages back regarding the batteries that work well, work better and may be overkill. Like Storminmatt said, at max, the light pulls 8amps from the battery. So whichever battery you choose, just know that it doesn't need to pulse 30amps. The 50E seems pretty popular here.

I use Samsung 30T's, but only because I got 10 free. This is overkill for this light and you can get much higher capacities with others.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
40T are fine 4000mAh batteries, 50E are better unless you're on turbo all the time (as in intermittently, so it cools off and can use over 3-4A). Check the tests at lygte and mooch for specific data. The 50E2, whenever available, should be great for this light. The light isn't that picky, though, since it's not DD. A less than optimal battery will reduce runtime rather than brightness (until it's bad enough to make the light step down, which would be pretty bad).

As StorminMatt basically said, the best points of this ZL over the SC600 series are:
* Easier to grip as it fills my fairly large hands rather than having fingers to spare. This involves fingers forward of the switch, which is dangerous on an Emisar, but:
* Loafs along at 945lm without getting more than slightly warm.
* Between the 5Ah 21700 vs a 3Ah 18650 cell, and the efficiency, it runs longer.

So really the only thing worse, unless the size is a problem for you rather than an advantage, is that it costs more and needs a new size of battery.

I did a quick video of the beam outdoors at some trees 150ft away. It wasn't as dark as I remembered out there and the atmosphere was full of annoying particulates tonight.

Still image at maximum. Pretty much what it looked like. It lit those trees up beautifully. Probably could have made the trees 100 ft further down the road visible if I could see anything but blue fog from backscatter. I guess that's what throwers are for.
TdQKeMk.jpg

Indoors, back of the warehouse is maybe 60 ft. Really lights the whole place up, but figure they'd prefer if I didn't show anything identifiable.
u0ao9To.jpg

Last edited:

burntoshine

Enlightened
Thanks, y'all! I will look back in this thread for the battery discussion. And thank you for the links, radellaf!

Does anyone know when ZL is supposed to have the light back in stock?

EDIT: ZL told me 5 to 15 business days.

Last edited:

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Thanks for the observations, randellaf and StorminMatt. I sometimes wish my SC600w IV Plus was a bit longer so my pinky would have a place to rest, but then I pocket it and am happy with the size. Seems like the 700s would be perfect for me ergonomically speaking.

Do you use it with a pocket clip?

I find with the SC600 clip it's unpleasant to use so I rarely have it on. Because of that, I'm really glad they have the lanyard attachment because it prevents the light from rolling. I haven't seen the lanyard attachment on the SC700

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beam shots. This is the first SC light from ZL -since I got the SC600w (original one)- that perked my interest.