ZL SC600 HI--problem with pogo pins?

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
That just might do it, distributing the stress to the outer edge of the contact where it's stronger and away from the center. Thanks for sharing.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if we can feed a small piece of nonconductive hard plastic strip under the battery button using one of the vent holes around the sides of the button. The shim would act as a support to prevent the button from caving in.

Many manufacturers use double springs (a smaller spring inside the bigger one) for increased current flow applications.

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm that is really interesting, thanks for sharing that. Do you notice any denting or rattling of your batteries? Did you have one of the older models with the old design too?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never tried the battery fix myself. I don't own the SC600 in part because they basically made the light/battery compartment too short and its causing too many problems with batteries. All of my 18650s at the moment are LG MJ1 unprotected flat tops - which are pretty short batteries - and other owners of SC600s have shown they get big dents in their MJ1s.

IMHO, I am willing to purchase a light which can't fit longer protected batteries but am unwilling to purchase one which doesn't fit most of the shorter unprotected flat tops.

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never tried the battery fix myself. I don't own the SC600 in part because they basically made the light/battery compartment too short and its causing too many problems with batteries. All of my 18650s at the moment are LG MJ1 unprotected flat tops - which are pretty short batteries - and other owners of SC600s have shown they get big dents in their MJ1s.

IMHO, I am willing to purchase a light which can't fit longer protected batteries but am unwilling to purchase one which doesn't fit most of the shorter unprotected flat tops.

I've had several pogo pin lights of theirs for over a year and no issues with mine. My MK3 HI does slightly dent the cells but I've had no usability issues at all. The tint and throw are definitely worth it imo and the only effect for me is cosmetic. The problem isn't so much that it doesn't fit the batteries as it is that the metal tops are fairly weak so the pressure can cause an indentation.

petr9999

Newly Enlightened
No denting, i even tried wacking the light, and it does not dent or turn off. Using Panasonig GA cells

markr6

Flashaholic
No denting, i even tried wacking the light, and it does not dent or turn off. Using Panasonig GA cells

Same here. Even if I do get a slight dent, I don't care unless it makes it explode. To me it's like getting upset that your brand new shiny hammer gets scratched up after using it a few times.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some have reported denting along with mode changes when the light is shaken or knocked. IMHO, denting is ok but mode changes are not.

Also, denting may imply the pogo pins have bottomed out - which would be as good as no springs at all.

Zebralight needs to correct this by either using coil springs and/or making the battery compartment a few millimeters longer - both of which are simple fixes.

Unless Zebralight places a higher priority on smaller size (a few millimeters in length - at most) over proper function and reliability.

Or...the user needs to realize their battery options for this light are very limited.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Some have reported denting along with mode changes when the light is shaken or knocked. IMHO, denting is ok but mode changes are not.

Also, denting may imply the pogo pins have bottomed out - which would be as good as no springs at all.

Zebralight needs to correct this by either using coil springs and/or making the battery compartment a few millimeters longer - both of which are simple fixes.

Unless Zebralight places a higher priority on smaller size (a few millimeters in length - at most) over proper function and reliability.

Or...the user needs to realize their battery options for this light are very limited.
+1 This is just a bad design. I don't see why people make excuses for them.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 This is just a bad design. I don't see why people make excuses for them.

Because most of the criticism comes from people who don't own and use the light, and a handful of people who have issues doesn't make it a widespread problem or reliability issues. I have 6 Zebralights with pogo pins and have experienced absolutely no issues whatsoever other than minor cell denting in one of them. I use my lights a lot, drop them etc and they're just as reliable as my spring version lights.

Sure, I'm sure there are some defective ones where the tolerances cause the issues reported with the mode changes or drops but it isn't a widespread issue. The benefits of a shorter light and less resistance when replacing a battery make it worth the change imo. Again, the criticism largely comes from people who don't own the light and have no experience with the benefits it provides.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just wondering why a pogo pin would be different from a spring? Isn't there a spring under the pogo pin? My thinking is a spring would dent a battery as well if it's the wrong length

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just wondering why a pogo pin would be different from a spring? Isn't there a spring under the pogo pin? My thinking is a spring would dent a battery as well if it's the wrong length

The problem people have with this is that they are using the "right length" Zebralight recommended battery and are still having a problem.

I feel that as long as you are using the proper length battery in any light, it should not be dented. Unfortunately not the case here. Proper length = dents. :shrug:

markr6

Flashaholic

There's hardly any play at all...maybe 1mm of travel if that? A spring on the other hand has plenty.

markr6

Flashaholic
Same here. Even if I do get a slight dent, I don't care unless it makes it explode. To me it's like getting upset that your brand new shiny hammer gets scratched up after using it a few times.

I take that back...I now have a dent. No, more like a massive crater! I haven't used my SC63w in months as it just sits inside my laptop bag. I take it to work every day but never toss it around. Just today I took the 18650GA out of my SC63w (didn't check my SC600w HI yet) and the top plate is completely caved in. So far that it's below the outer rim of the battery itself (blue/pink part).

It still works fine and the light doesn't turn off when hit, but now I'm starting to get a little concerned. Hopefully the new design prevents this, just to be safe.